56% of viewers would drop ESPN

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
I'm curious what people really think the prices of packages without sports in them would be. Do you think the current packages would drop $5, $10, $15....? I have no idea but I think it's not going to be as much as everyone thinks it would.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I'm curious what people really think the prices of packages without sports in them would be. Do you think the current packages would drop $5, $10, $15....? I have no idea but I think it's not going to be as much as everyone thinks it would.
$5 at most IMO.

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
That lawsuit is hilarious. ESPN started streaming all of their content, which is stealing customers from the satellite and cable providers and now cries foul when those same providers decide not to force carry their content. "Boo hoo, I can steal from you but you can't steal from me, that's not fair! Boo-hoo." ESPN's business model. as currently constituted, is in trouble. Gee, maybe they should ask the people on Twitter that are currently deciding what their content is how they should restructure the business model. After all, the people on Twitter are running the network now. :rolleyes:

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
That lawsuit is hilarious. ESPN started streaming all of their content, which is stealing customers from the satellite and cable providers and now cries foul when those same providers decide not to force carry their content. "Boo hoo, I can steal from you but you can't steal from me, that's not fair! Boo-hoo." ESPN's business model. as currently constituted, is in trouble. Gee, maybe they should ask the people on Twitter that are currently deciding what their content is how they should restructure the business model. After all, the people on Twitter are running the network now. :rolleyes:
They are streaming, but technically you still have to have ESPN in a pay tv provider subscription to have access to it, so if people follow the "rules" of the streaming process no pay tv customers are stolen. As far as I know of, there is no stand alone ESPN streaming option. Sling is the closest thing to one.

CFGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 7, 2003
Shawnee, KS
Just curious, for those of you that say you could do without the sports channels, why do you stay with Dish? For me, live sports programming is a primary reason I keep Dish. Not just ESPN, but NFL, SEC Network, TNT, etc are all a big part why I keep it. If not for them, I feel I could easily go the cord cutting route and fill my viewing needs much cheaper with options from Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Doctor Who - BBC America
Flash, Arrow - CW
Star Wars Rebels and various Marvel Cartoons - DisneyXD
Walking Dead - AMC
The Librarians - TNT
Supergirl, Heroes Reborn, Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, Last Man Standing, etc - The Big 4 Networks
Hallmark - Happy Wife
Hallmark Movies - Happy Wife
Hopper Whole House DVR - This really is a big part of staying. For years I had channel modulaters on every Dish receiver so we could watch something recorded on the bedroom dvr in the living room. Every tv in house could tune to 40 for the Living Room DVR, 42 for M Bedroom DVR, etc. I now have a lot less cabling and equipment needed thanks to the hopper system. Can't wait for the Hopper 3.

And yes, I know that I can get most of the shows I watch on Netflix, but I don't choose to wait for the new seasons to get to Netflix.
I have bought every Doctor Who DVD/Blu-Ray that is available (That includes all DVDs since the original 1963 episodes) but I still watch the show when it airs so I don't have to wait.

The only sports that I watch are KC Chiefs and KC Royals games. The Chiefs games are all on the Networks. The Royals are the only thing I watch on a sports channel and that is one of the Fox Sports channel.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Most all of those shows can be had through Hulu plus or using the network app on roku (you must have some log in info of some sort) in current season. It does take a change in "how" you are used to watching though.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Not mine. I'm backfilling my collection of old and recent shows, many of which are not out on DVD or streamed anywhere.

Most Science channel shows, GSN classics, Boomerang (Looney Tunes), etc. are not available anywhere or are not completely available.

So I'm paying $75/mo for basically 10-20 channels my family watches.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
the sports channels and their owners paying for TV rights to sporting events is the main reason why traditional paid TV is expensive now. it's also the reason for most contract disputes, and why people are sick of traditional paid TV and going with OTA/webstreaming/other as their way to watch TV to stick it to the greedy paid TV providers and the content providers who jack up the prices to cause the paid TV providers to do the same to help pay their content providing bills. and also getting shows from OTA with a antenna is still free as long as you buy the antenna or you already got one. also it's cheaper to pay Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other services that stream TV shows that you would find on traditional paid TV as well as shows not on traditional paid TV.

if my internet choices were better and i was able to watch my shows via webstream then on traditional paid TV, i would be willing to cut the cord and get a Roku or Chromecast but my internet provider sucks and keeps going in and out at night more so then day time and it's got a 100 GB bandwidth cap and the options here in rural Hunt County/Campbell is well, not good at all as the best providers might be satellite and they have very low bandwidth caps, so pretty much stuck between Dish & DirecTV as my true choice of TV providers and i do have a antenna to get regular TV channels.

PortlandChris

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 24, 2012
Portland, OR
Agree, Sports should all be A la carte, Just the same as the Movie Channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe. But crap like Viacom's silly channels and Fox News., etc. should also be ala carte. I don't watch any of the Viacom crap and I certainly won't watch Fox News. If we're going ala carte we need to go all the way,

Look, I don't like what ESPN charges, but then again I find myself watching them frequently. In fact, w/o sports I wouldn't subscribe to the rest of the channels.

Reactions: AZ.

Ngamtns706

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2016
Georgia
Maybe. But crap like Viacom's silly channels and Fox News., etc. should also be ala carte. I don't watch any of the Viacom crap and I certainly won't watch Fox News. If we're going ala carte we need to go all the way,

Look, I don't like what ESPN charges, but then again I find myself watching them frequently. In fact, w/o sports I wouldn't subscribe to the rest of the channels.

Fox news is the #1 news network for a reason. I work for a cable provider and we sell dish too, but everyone wants fox.

Reactions: dishcomm

Troch77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 4, 2015
Southern PA

But these channels you list don't cost as much as a premium movie pack.
ESPN does!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
Fox news is the #1 news network for a reason. I work for a cable provider and we sell dish too, but everyone wants fox.

Last report I saw was that FoxNews is the #1 cable network. Had higher ratings than ESPN or USA.

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
Last read, the average channel costs $0.76. Fox News just got $1.50, so is twice the average, still reasonably price. ESPN is $7 and still going up. I am ok with it being $7 too, but why not allow it in a sports package? Why does Disney make such a big stink about it being not in a sports pack? Fox News, being more expensive, also goes in the high tiered packages. ESPN demands to be carried in lower packages... Further being subsidized. Why? Because they know what their life span will be other wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)