5G US C-band launch

I didn't write any signal SQ numbers or benchmarks before today but if 5g was turned on in my area, I'm still able to receive feeds from 3700-3800 on 113W and 105w.

Reactions: Comptech
I pretty much had unwatchable channels from 55w to 113w after Verizon's rollout in Arizona on the 19th. The satellites west of 113w got better the further west they were. Some channels had total pixelation. Other channels had intermittent pixelation and signal drop outs. Just installed the Titanium C138 lnbf yesterday and everything is completely clean. No more drop outs or pixelation. Thanks to Brian at Titanium for the super fast shipment of the C138 lnbf.

I am very curious to see what effect there will be on my signal. I have shielding on 2 sides although that may not make a difference.
I'm more curious to see how it will effect humans. England has already had problems with it killing birds roosting near the 5G towers.

One location had over 120 dead Starlings in one night and several Pigeons dead on the ground around it. In some parts of the world, people have been setting 5G towers on fire and ripping them down due health concerns.

I think there's a lot that's not being said about 5G that should be. The frequency and strength of these towers has me wondering.

• Haha
Reactions: Titanium
I'm more curious to see how it will effect humans. England has already had problems with it killing birds roosting near the 5G towers.

One location had over 120 dead Starlings in one night and several Pigeons dead on the ground around it. In some parts of the world, people have been setting 5G towers on fire and ripping them down due health concerns.

I think there's a lot that's not being said about 5G that should be. The frequency and strength of these towers has me wondering.
Did you burn down cband dishes when they used the same frequencies?

In all fairness, my time as a merchant marine the first thing I was taught, was do not work on a area were there was a radar antenna sweeping, Gig range and alot of power. If 5g is using those frequencies with enough power to drown out a c-band signal in a higher frequency, I concour with Wvman. It may be like spending the rest of your life in the defrost function of a microwave oven.

I'm not sure what bird story you're talking about but there is a fair amount of misinformation on social media about birds and 5G:

Here's a key part:

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) told Reuters that they are “not aware” of any robust studies showing declines of bird populations which are solely explained by electromagnetic radiation.
The RSPB said scientific evidence for such a threat was “equivocal at best” and subject to much “inflammatory and unsubstantiated comment” online.

Any of us who do radio engineering or are ham operators absolutely know the dangers of being too close to a power electro-magnetic radiation source but in general you have to be very close as the power falls off fast with distance.

I suspect your receive many times more EM radiation from your home WiFi network, smartphone and laptop than from any external source.

All of this is not to say 5G or any radio towers should be given a free pass, but there is plenty of engineering and science that suggests they are safe if guidelines are followed.

Reactions: norman881 and AZ.
The real issue with 5g was that the antennas were supposed to be placed on telephone poles in neighborhoods thus flooding the neighborhood with radiation...that hasn't really been deployed much..5g on a cell tower is no worse than 4g,3g,2g and 1g

Some of the confusion about 5G is that it can mean two things to the general public. There is an unlicensed band at 5 GHz that some carriers have used on poles in neighborhoods. 5G is actually a COFDM signal type that can be used at any frequency. T-Mobile has deployed 5G at 600 MHz. Verizon and ATT are beginning to use 3.5 GHz for their 5G. Verizon uses millimeter waves in some cities for home internet using 5G modulation.

The irony of the airline complaints is that they say interference will occur closer to the ground. If you study the math of radar signals, the strength of the ground reflection of the radar increases at twice the rate of the increase of the 3.5 GHz 5G signal. This means that if a plane descends from 1000’ to 500’ the 5G signals increase by 6 db, while the radar reflection increases by 12 db. This means the likelihood of interference decreases as you get closer to the ground.

Did you burn down cband dishes when they used the same frequencies?
C-Band dishes didn't use the same power output of 5G and the frequencies are much higher on 5G. I never saw a dead bird that roosted on or near a C-Band dish.

5G is much more dangerous than previous cellular technologies because it uses millimeter waves of much higher frequencies. Within the radio frequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, the higher the frequency the more dangerous it is. (Here is a link to letters from 250 scientists from 35 countries talking about the dangers of 5G.)

C-Band dishes didn't use the same power output of 5G and the frequencies are much higher on 5G. I never saw a dead bird that roosted on or near a C-Band dish.

5G is much more dangerous than previous cellular technologies because it uses millimeter waves of much higher frequencies. Within the radio frequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, the higher the frequency the more dangerous it is. (Here is a link to letters from 250 scientists from 35 countries talking about the dangers of 5G.)
The satellites in the sky did

It seems all of these "attacks" on 5G concentrate their complaints on the millimeter wave segment of the 5G spectrum as if that's the only source of 5G service. I wonder what the eventual spread will be of low and mid band 5G that use the same spectrum that's been in use for cell and other services for many years. In rural areas where short range millimeter service is impractical for instance, low and mid-band service makes the most sense for implementation on existing towers. As I recall, mid-band 5G service (2.3–4.7 GHz) has seen the most expansion using existing facilities so far. High-band service (24–47 GHz) will likely only be used in high density locations in cities, stadiums, etc. due to it's short range and poor penetration into/through buildings and other obstructions.

I’m still skeptical about mm waves being harmful, especially with the low power they intend on running them at. My horizontal loop for HF is probably more dangerous than any 5g and I haven’t fried any birdies or BBQ’d any cats yet

Reactions: NYDutch
I’m still skeptical about mm waves being harmful, especially with the low power they intend on running them at. My horizontal loop for HF is probably more dangerous than any 5g and I haven’t fried any birdies or BBQ’d any cats yet
I think we have more to worry about when we have a transmitter pressed to our ear. An antenna across the street, or 5 miles away won't do nearly as much damage.

Reactions: Martyn and FTA4PA