5LNB antenna mount????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anderson111

Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Currently I have a 3LNB dish mounted to the framing on the side of my roof as pictured below. When I upgrade to the 5LNB larger dish will this type of support bear the weight of the dish (notice only 3 of the lags are being used on the current mount). In any case the line of sight is not a concern as we are located in a rural area on a hill with no trees around the property. Please advise of my potential mounting options.

Attachments

• DSCF1181.JPG
    DSCF1181.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 240
No. The 5 LNB needs a tripod setup preferably on the roof. The pole is not the right size and it definately wont support the weight of the dish. So unfortunately you are going to have to find another spot. Can a mounted pole cemented in the ground work for you if you dont want roof mounted?

Yes, the pole mounted in the ground would not be a problem. Is this something the installer would handle or is it the homeowner's responsibility? Is this considered part of the "normal" installation?

Last edited:
Theres a few threads in here talking about 5 LNB installations and some of which had to get pole mounted. So check them out and ask specific folks that went through them.

Currently I have a 3LNB dish mounted to the framing on the side of my roof as pictured below. When I upgrade to the 5LNB larger dish will this type of support bear the weight of the dish (notice only 3 of the lags are being used on the current mount). In any case the line of sight is not a concern as we are located in a rural area on a hill with no trees around the property. Please advise of my potential mounting options.

An install on a rake board like you have is definitely not going to last. A good storm could tear it right off. If the rake is against the house and you can lag into the roof rafter with all four mounting spots, then maybe, but not when it is set off like yours is.

I have my Slimline on a pole mount, no problems so far. Seems nice and sturdy!

Me, too. The best way to do it.

Me three, 16' up in the air, actually 13, 3 ft is buried in concrete.

anderson111,
One big advantage you have is IF you place it on a pole on the ground, you have easy access if weather plays havic with it, I don't know where you are, but I climb my ladder and remove snow, when needed.
Not a big deal for me seeing thepole is next to the house and a flat roof as well.
If you decide to, you can mount the pole yourself, this way it's where you want it.
btw, I supported the pole at the roof line of the house.

Jimbo

If the house is wood, you can use a SLW-250 from Dishmount Products. The SLW-250 is similar to what you have now, but with a different bolt pattern and a 5th bolt hole for the slimline dish. $48.00 plus two AT9LB long braces for support. The long braces are available MCM Electronics. You can do a search. I installed mine two weeks ago and it's solid. We haven't been hit with a hurricane yet, but we had a storm blow through S. Florida 2 days ago that had 50 mph gusts. It didn't budge.

Good Luck

Attachments

• DSC01807.JPG
    DSC01807.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 251
If the house is wood, you can use a SLW-250 from Dishmount Products. The SLW-250 is similar to what you have now, but with a different bolt pattern and a 5th bolt hole for the slimline dish. $48.00 plus two AT9LB long braces for support. The long braces are available MCM Electronics. You can do a search. I installed mine two weeks ago and it's solid. We haven't been hit with a hurricane yet, but we had a storm blow through S. Florida 2 days ago that had 50 mph gusts. It didn't budge.

Good Luck
Good catch sacalait,
I was going to mention this also, but forgot where I saw them at.

Jimbo

Good Luck

I hope those monopoles are lagged into the ends of the roof rafters and the extension mount is lagged into a stud, otherwise you risk the entire dish coming down in a storm.

The monopoles aren't into studs, 2 of the 4 on the wall are though and my walls are 3/4" T-111 backed by 1" Plywood. I have an 85 lb tv mounted on the patio and didn't even hit studs but because of the thickness of the walls it didn't matter.

The monopoles aren't into studs, 2 of the 4 on the wall are though and my walls are 3/4" T-111 backed by 1" Plywood. I have an 85 lb tv mounted on the patio and didn't even hit studs but because of the thickness of the walls it didn't matter.

It wouldn't take much to tear the fascia board off of your house without the monopoles properly installed. Seriously, I would make sure they are lagged into the roof rafters. Make sure they aren't lagged into the lookouts. They aren't strong enough.

I will take another look at the monopoles, but one last thing to point out. My facia boards are not the standard 3/4" thick used nowadays in home building. They are 2" thick. So there is a lot more meat for the lags to bite than an typ. house by todays standards.

Thanks for the advice.

I will take another look at the monopoles, but one last thing to point out. My facia boards are not the standard 3/4" thick used nowadays in home building. They are 2" thick. So there is a lot more meat for the lags to bite than an typ. house by todays standards.

Thanks for the advice.

That may be, but if they are only nailed to the rafters or lookouts, it doesn't make any difference. They will still come off in a storm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)