60Hz vs 120Hz - is it worth it?

Indiana627

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Vestal, NY
I'm debating about upgrading to either Sony's 60Hz 46" W3000 series or their new 120Hz 46" W4100 when it comes out this spring/summer. The 60/120Hz is the only big difference between the two series that I can tell (both are 1080p with 10 bit processing). I'm sure some good deals will be found on the W3000 once the W4100 series comes out. On the other hand, if 120Hz is really a big improvement over 60Hz, then there's no deal good enough.

So my question: is it worth the money to get 120Hz? How much of a premium would you be willing to spend to get 120Hz instead of 60Hz (assuming all other major features are the same)?

Thanks.

I'm debating about upgrading to either Sony's 60Hz 46" W3000 series or their new 120Hz 46" W4100 when it comes out this spring/summer. The 60/120Hz is the only big difference between the two series that I can tell (both are 1080p with 10 bit processing). I'm sure some good deals will be found on the W3000 once the W4100 series comes out. On the other hand, if 120Hz is really a big improvement over 60Hz, then there's no deal good enough.

So my question: is it worth the money to get 120Hz? How much of a premium would you be willing to spend to get 120Hz instead of 60Hz (assuming all other major features are the same)?

Thanks.

I have a Sammy 52a650. Best picture I have ever seen. I would have gotten this tv without the 120hz. It has a soap opra feel to it. I leave mine on low. Some people have gone into the service menu and pushed the amp way up. Not for me.

I have a Sammy 52a650. Best picture I have ever seen. I would have gotten this tv without the 120hz. It has a soap opra feel to it. I leave mine on low. Some people have gone into the service menu and pushed the amp way up. Not for me.
I'm sorry, but you lost me. Soap opera feel - what does that mean? You leave your's on low - you leave what on low?

To my original question: can you tell any difference with the 120Hz vs a set with 60Hz?

I'm sorry, but you lost me. Soap opera feel - what does that mean? You leave your's on low - you leave what on low?

To my original question: can you tell any difference with the 120Hz vs a set with 60Hz?

On the Sammy lcd 120hz. you can turm the AMP to low , medium or high.
I do not think that the Sammy dlp has this option.
"Soap Opra" feel is what it looks like. Just like you are watching a soap opra on tv. It looks that real and life like. Very Smooth when the camera is panning. You probably need to go to a B and M store and check it out yourself.

On film you can tell a big difference.

I have the 120MHz Sony XBR4; and in the store I thought the PQ was amazing in comparison with the other sets. Now that I own it, I wouldn't have anything else - - particularly for a 1080 set. Love it.

I think the XBR's and Sammy's are nice, but you really need to watch the 120hz to see if its for you. I for one did not care for it. Both are great tv's nonetheless.

120 is fairly limited in benefit. Really only shows up in slow pans on film based material. But, it is seldom the only difference between models. Most of the time there is a lot of other stuff in the upscale model with 120HZ that makes a difference.

I use the 72Hz mode on my Pioneer plasma. It makes a difference on certain footage, but there tends not to be a lot of slow pans in the movies I watch.

120 is fairly limited in benefit. Really only shows up in slow pans on film based material.
I thought 120Hz was designed for fast moving action, like sports?

Planning to head to BB today to compare 60Hz and 120Hz.

From my research, it seems like 10 bit processing & panel would be more bang for the buck than 120Hz. I think I'd rather have more colors available to me. My current HDTV is 60Hz and I don't really notice any problems. Plus, are all TV signals (OTA, satellite, cable) native 60Hz?

The advantage of 120 HZ is that 24 frames/sec movies can be shown 5x instead of some frames 3x and some 2x, smoothing out the picture. But, of last years models only the XBR4/5 did that properly.

Now both the Samsung and the Sony also had an interpolation mode where they would try to make up frames between the actual frames to smooth out the picture. Some liked the effect but others hated it. It is a beginning feature and may not be really perfected yet.

120HZ affects sports and other fast motion by the fact that in order to get 120HZ the response time of the panel has to be faster to help with the motion blur. More along the lines of a feature that they bundle in with 120HZ than the actual 120 HZ benefit. But there are 60HZ panels with the same response time.

I wanted the latest and greatest when I finally upgraded to a bigger screen so I went ahead and spent the extra dollars for the 120HZ model and love it.....can't wait to get my blu-ray player for it waiting patiently for the new ps3 to come out in June. When you go to BB or whatever electronics store that you chose watch it with blu-ray and you will be amazed.......by the way I do like that realistic picture that it has when watching pirates of the carribean...it's like looking through a glass window at the characters.

Tigerfan,

Does the Amp go up to Eleven, "Its one moorr". :eek:

John

With 120hz refresh, and the motion enhancer turned on, the "judder" in film based content is smoothed out, which can result in a more "video-like" appearance. You are really just substituting one artifact for another though if you look closely. On my Sony XBR4 I like to keep the motion enhancer on high. When watching film based content there is a noticeable halo around fast moving objects in a scene. I have gotten used to it now, but when I first started using it it bothered me quite a bit. The better the source content the less troublesome it appears to be. On some HD programs on Dish Network the halo effect gets so bad I have to turn the motion enhancer off. On Blu Ray discs it is barely noticeable most of the time.

That being said, the first HD set I bought did not have 120hz refresh. When I found out what it was I returned it and got the Sony. Yeah, it's that important (to me anyway).

If you're using video based source than AMP/Motion Enhancer (whether you're talking Samsung or Sony) should be on. If you are using it with a film based source like BD or HD-DVD it should be off. Either way it needs to be off when using BD or HD-DVD.

S~

Last edited:
Sony can do a 5:5 with 120HZ without made up frames. It helps to smooth pans and scrolling since you do not get the judder. But, remember it is only on things like this that 120 really makes a difference, so most of the time there is no benefit to the picture with 120. If juddering pans and scrolling drives you insane then 120 is for you. If it is something you rarely notice you will rarely notice the 120 unless you turn on the interpolation. With the interpolation on it is making up content which may or may not reflect reality. It is not something I want to see. I have my main TV adjusted to do 3:3 pulldown (it is a plasma) and not do interpolation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)