612 freeze frames and pixilation affecting also audio

JPGALLAGA

Original poster
May 4, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have had DISH for just over two months. Techs have replaced everything at least once and relocated the DISH 3 times. I have these qliches randomly but mostely on two identical 612s in two different rooms. Anybody else having this problem. We are so disgusted with DISH service this time around, we are ready to cancel. Short of a bandpass filter I can't think of a single thing I would do as a tech. But SAT is not my speciality. Any bright minds want to share an opinion. Write me at j_gallaga@yahoo.com

More info please. Are these sat channels or OTA channels? Do you have other receivers that work OK? Is this on HD channels only? San Antonio is a Western Arc DMA, so your HD is coming off 129. If your techs have relocated the dish 3 times, I'd say you have pretty bad LOS problems. Can you top the relevant tree? (I got 5 years and counting out of that manoever.)

I have had the same types of problems with my 612. It doesn't really matter what channel. I have had the picture freeze up and jump forward a second or two and then freeze again.

I am getting very tempted to use the help to get out of a contract that D* keeps offering me. I would want to test their DVR though before making any jump.

I've got a 722 and two 612's, and recently upgraded from mixed-arc to Eastern Arc. This almost never happens, and when it does, a tremendous thunderstorm is coming through. I'm guessing the OP is trying to look through one or more of his trees, or the dish is not mounted in a solid location.

To the OP, when this is happening, hit the menu 6-1-1 (Point Dish) menu and tell us what kind of signal strength you're seeing. Does it stay on one number, or change from second to second?

There's been a lot of complaints about the 612. I have one and I've seen this problem only a few times in some HD channels while others see it more often. If they already replaced everything, I would ask if they can replace the receiver.

Freeze Frames and Pixilation on 612

Yes, it happens live or recorded on both 612s. DISH has clear view of sky as it was moved up. The signal used to varied 8 numbers but since one cable, a homerun was made last Friday and DISH moved the signal is nor varying more that 1-3 numbers and is normally in the mid 70s. I've had at least 5 tech and 2 FSM out to the house. If it is for sure the 612s, I can see that but one has already been replaced. One tech implied that some are re-manufactured. Any chance that is a part of the cause?

There are 3 things to try here:

1. Try a component setup instead of HDMI (Or vice-versa)
2. Check your TV settings for "frame smoothing" or anything related to that and turn it OFF. Some manufacturers are notorious for coming up with enhancements that don't work.
3. Try adjusting every setting on the TV.

These always fixed any of those issues for me.

Also, go to:
Menu, 6, 1, 3
Then select details.

Look at the signal values at the top. Are they consistent or do they fluctuate more than 20 points every so many hours?

Please post your complete setup for more troubleshooting.

I have one 612 on component connection and the other on HDMI. One on a Samsung 650 which does 1080P and the other on a Mitsubishi doing 1080i (this is the component one). They both do the skipping, freeze frames, and audio cutting out. I often record the same programs and compare the timing of the events. I haven't tried adjusting the TVs yet, since both do the vary same things at the very same time by the recording time clock. This is even though the component one has the homerun and a second 612, new wall barrel connector, and a different set of component cables. Let me not leave out the outside barrel, switch, and location of the DISH. I keep thinking it must be external frequencies being injected into the lines.

It appears that you are having the same problem as experienced by a friend. After all avenues of correction were unsuccessful, Dish agreed to replace the 612 with a 722. Problem solved. There are unknown "bugs" that don't infest all 612's, but after trying 3 different pieces, my friend, a 10 year customer of Dish, was at witts end. I took my 722 over to his home and let him test whether or not his installation could be resulting in failures, and after 3 days of no problems with "bugs", he had proof that the 612 was the problem. I brought the third 612 to my home and experienced similiar "bugs". I don't know what circumstances that come to play with how you could test a 722, as my friend did, but I do know the 722 that Dish agreed to upgrade my friends account, solved his problem. As to changing providers, the engineering that the 722, 722K and new 922 employ are second to no other competitive model. It's unfortunate that your experience with the 612 has been as you have described.

While you are wrestling with CS to solve the problem, you might want to check temperature. Do not have experience with the 612, but the 722 has a "Counters" option in Installation that tells you many vitals about the DVR including temperature. High temps caused my 722 to stutter intermittently. It vents on the side so it is not compatible with many stereo stands. Moved the 722 to location that allowed side to side venting. Placed it on 4 bottle caps to provide more cooling area. (used tall 1.75 caps, but read water bottle caps is all you need) Average temp dropped and fixed the problem.

It appears that you are having the same problem as experienced by a friend. After all avenues of correction were unsuccessful, Dish agreed to replace the 612 with a 722. Problem solved. There are unknown "bugs" that don't infest all 612's, but after trying 3 different pieces, my friend, a 10 year customer of Dish, was at witts end. I took my 722 over to his home and let him test whether or not his installation could be resulting in failures, and after 3 days of no problems with "bugs", he had proof that the 612 was the problem. I brought the third 612 to my home and experienced similiar "bugs". I don't know what circumstances that come to play with how you could test a 722, as my friend did, but I do know the 722 that Dish agreed to upgrade my friends account, solved his problem. As to changing providers, the engineering that the 722, 722K and new 922 employ are second to no other competitive model. It's unfortunate that your experience with the 612 has been as you have described.
I want to thank you for your input here. After reading your reply I called DISH and told them to fix my problem with 722s or let me out of my contract. She installed the 722s yesterday morning and last night I had my first uneventful evening of TV watching in over 2 1/2 months. Again thanks to you and everybody here that gave me ideas for troubleshooting and resolution.

I want to thank you for your input here. After reading your reply I called DISH and told them to fix my problem with 722s or let me out of my contract. She installed the 722s yesterday morning and last night I had my first uneventful evening of TV watching in over 2 1/2 months. Again thanks to you and everybody here that gave me ideas for troubleshooting and resolution.

Glad you have , so far, resolved your 612 "bug" experiences. The idea behind the introduction of the 612 was good, but that model seems to be the "stepchild" of the VIP receiver family. It was frustrating for my friend to go thru the many replace this, replace that, installation this, installation that, when after all 3 of the 612's were tried, the problem magically went away with the big brother 722. Someone in the R&D at Dish needs to spend some time with this "stepchild" to correct it's short come-up-n's! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts