622 hdmi

samgovol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Yesterday, I loss signal from my receiver to my TV. I called Dish and they told me that a new software came out and they are aware of an issue with the HDMI cable. So, I had to go back to using componet cables. Am I the only one that this happened to? Wonder how long it will take to get that fixed?

samgovol said:
Yesterday, I loss signal from my receiver to my TV. I called Dish and they told me that a new software came out and they are aware of an issue with the HDMI cable. So, I had to go back to using componet cables. Am I the only one that this happened to? Wonder how long it will take to get that fixed?

I just lost my HDMI output from my 622 as well - noticed that I lost the HDMI audio first a couple days ago, now (tonight) I've also lost video. I haven't touched the cables or moved anything, so I know it's not the "fragile" HDMI port issue/problem that a lot of 622 owners are experiencing - i.e. mucking up the internal HMDI port solder connections to the PCB due to strain or plugging/unplugging repeatedly.

I've got a feeling it is software related - unless thermal expansion/cycling is to blame over time on the 622. If it is software, then Dish should roll back the L3.60 software to an earlier release as losing HDMI is NOT an acceptable path forward!!

I plan on calling in tomorrow and complaining. I'm NOT waiting till Oct/Nov for them to work on patching "something" that they broke with the lastest software update - they need to recall that release and go back to what did work. Do they even test this stuff before releasing it?!? Sounds like they have some very lax software quality control/testing teams if that is the case! :confused:

I first had the problem with SW rev. 3.57. The update to 3.58 did nothing to fix it, so E* replaced the unit for me. That new one has worked fine (KOW!) through additional updates to 3.60. I don't think 3.60 has anything to do with the problem, pro or con.

"Not touching/moving" your cables is not necessarily enough to prevent the broken PCB connections. Just the weight of an HDMI cable hanging down and supported only by the HDMI plug/socket could eventually break one or more connection.

You might be accurate about the thermal cycling; I postulated that months ago. I contend there are multiple, unrelated root causes. It would take a bit of investigation to determine which is affecting you.

If you haven't done so already, try a hard reboot and disconnect/reconnect the HDMI plug. That "fixes" it for some users, YMMV...

I have two 622s and have had three replacements sent for failed HDMI. This goes back to software P3.57 so I don't think it's a problem the current software release. Personally, I think it has to do with heat, but perhaps the 622 software hasn't been programmed to recover from an HDMI error...the interface just gets permanently disabled.

In any case, I'll just keep sending 'em back when they break until they fix the hardware and/or software problems.

We had the same problem after using the HDMI on our new TV for a week. They also told us at the time it was software related and to wait for the update.

Then, on the most recent Techical Forum, they mentioned a hardware problem with the 622 and HDMI connections saying that if it had worked and then suddenly quit working it was a hardware problem.

After hearing that Forum, I called Dish and requested a repacement 622 based on what they said on the Technical Forum. After confirming that info, the CSR ordered a replacement 622, it arrived within a week, and the HDMI connection is now working on that replacement.

It felt like the replacement's HDMI connection was different and it makes me wonder if they have started putting better connectors on that receiver.

Well, I got the canned response that "it's a software problem and our engineers are working on a software update to fix it." The guy I spoke to wouldn't commit to a date other than "real soon".

My HDMI port on my 622 VIP worked great from day one until about the 6 month point. Audio (via HDMI) went out first and video about a week later. I never touched the cables and everything is wired so that there's zero stress on any of the connectors.

Guess I'll wait till this "software update" and if my port doesn't return scream at them a lot... :D

I will receive my first 622 replacement tomorrow. The video both hdmi and componet will not work. Also the audio. I could not believe how hot it was when I went to check the cables. I don't think it would get hot enough to start a fire but I have never had any electronic equipment get this warm.

Supercharged_Z06 said:
I've got a feeling it is software related - unless thermal expansion/cycling is to blame over time on the 622.

My HDMI died 6 weeks in, no kids, never touched the cables, I have a slab foundation and it is in the living room and my HDMI connector broke free of the PCB. The units run hot, and the HDMI connector is surface mounted which makes it fragile to begin with, but is secured to the metal back of the unit with a screw. Yes, the connector on a plastic board is secured to an independant metal piece. It is surface mount, so even a few microns movement over time can completely break the surface mount solder.

If the back moves even a few microns more than the PCB, there will be stress on the HDMI connector. Add in power off/on daily, thermal failure cycling is the most likely reason these do fail. I have a couple of pictures showing the angle of the HDMi connector pulled free via the anchor screw.

The second picture, remember, the connector is surface mounted, and should be flat.

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/09/dont-blindly-believe-dish-if-hdmi.html

TripleII

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)