622 L3.57 Software Release Notes

I'm all for this if it helps my brothers 622 problem with the sound from that output. On TV2, ever since he got it, the volumes goes up then back down, then back up, then back down...cutting in a out constantly...on all channels.

I noticed another improvement: On the OTA setup, there's the signal bar from 0-100, Before everything below 55 didn't show any signal, now it shows signal strengths of for example 29, or 34, or 45 etc. The OTA tuner also seems to be more sensitive now. Anyone else seen this?

Well, the so call "Robust audio" fix in L3.57 certain has some effect on mine. Now I get a popping click sound everytime I "wake up" the 622........ (at least with the unit connected through HDMI).

Other than that, everything seems all the same to me.

I now can disable local channel re-mapping! Since I have an OTA antenna, I want the OTA HD local to come up when I enter a one or two digit local channel on the remote insead of the sat local.

Still no HDMI - exchange on the way...

Following the L3.57 D/L I tried HDMI again, nothing. I then tried a hard reboot and some other "pull cable" tricks - still nothing. So I called E* tech service again. Got a different tech this time (first 2 times were coincidentally the same tech). Described my problem in 20 words or less, she asked for a moment to read the notes, then without further questions or ado, she gave me the RA number. I surely hope the "new" (refurbished?) 622 takes care of my "no HDMI" problem, and I also hope it has a better OTA tuner. The current one's tuner really s*cks in comparison to the one in my Sony TV, and even the 811's!

I'll report back...

bhelms said:
Following the L3.57 D/L I tried HDMI again, nothing. I then tried a hard reboot and some other "pull cable" tricks - still nothing. So I called E* tech service again. Got a different tech this time (first 2 times were coincidentally the same tech). Described my problem in 20 words or less, she asked for a moment to read the notes, then without further questions or ado, she gave me the RA number.

When you report back please let us know the hardware revisions of the original and replacment boxes (Its the letter towards the end of the model number on the back of the box A, B, C, or D).

David_Levin said:
When you report back please let us know the hardware revisions of the original and replacment boxes (Its the letter towards the end of the model number on the back of the box A, B, C, or D).

I think you're one of the few that's paying attention. I also mentioned this about the A-E hardware versions possibly being the crux of many of the 622's problems a while back but it was pretty much ignored.

Hypathically:

If Dish has fu*ked up hardware out here, they'll never in a million years admit it. They may however quietly replace units for customers that complain enough.

If the newer units are responding better to the newer software, then even Dish isn't stupid enough to download fixes for older units and take a chance on screwing up the newer ones.

My guess:

Dish delibertly "staggered" the initial 622 release times because they were attempting to "fix" on the fly based on customer chatter. In other words they knew the first release of the 622 hadn't been tested properly but rather than hold up production, they just essentially used the first tier of customers as beta testers.

My reason:

When I talked to a high level Dish Rep on Feb 2nd about the 622 rebate to existing customers being delayed so long, etc, I was told it was because "they wanted to insure that by the time existing customers got the 622, more of the bugs would have been worked out". At the time I thought it was usual Dish BS but now I think there actually was a plan in place.

Can someone come up with a decent poll that could correlate 622 problems with the particular hardware versions. Everytime I do a poll, I always see something I should have done different after it's too late.

waltinvt said:
...Everytime I do a poll, I always see something I should have done different after it's too late.
Sounds like assessment in action to me, Walt :)

What'd you have in mind, perhaps...?

Select the Revision of your current 622
  • Rev. A
  • Rev. B
  • Rev. C
  • Rev. D
  • Rev. E
Select the appropriate response
  • This is my first 622.
  • This is not my first 622 (E* replaced the first, second, etc. one).
Select the appropriate response
  • I have no problems with my current 622.
  • I have minor problems with my current 622.
  • I have significant problems with my current 622.
  • My current 622 is toast, E* beam it up.
Thread discussion for more info related to the nature of any problems... I don't know if the above is possible, just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Yea, that's kind of what I had in mind but couldn't figure out how to set it up in a poll that made sense. Maybe one of the brilliant guys that frequent these threads will take it on as a challenge.:)

If Dish knows they have a hardware / software compatability empasse, they really should just quietly send replacements to the appropiate subs. Sure word will still get out but the PR won't be near as bad as if we here at SatGuys discover it and then EVERYONE wants a replacment. Not only that but new receivers will always be eyed with suspicion the first time they hiccup.

Do you believe they would have gone through 4 hardware revisions in a matter of a couple months? I'm wondering if it just isn't different suppliers that are making the 622s. As they ramped up availability, they might have added suppliers and labeled them all different in the SN (similar to D*).

Now, even if what I'm saying is true, there still could be issues only related specific versions of the 622.

The HDMI output (actually, all TV1 output) died on my "B" version 622 after six weeks. I now have two "D" version 622s and, although I experience some of minor/annoying bugs that have been reported, I no longer experience the loud electronic buzzing during rapid Skip Back/Skip Forward and with weak OTA signals.

I liked my first "B" version 622, but the annoyances did make my overall experience less than satisfied. The new "D" version boxes, while still a little buggy, has been a much better experience in my case. Perhaps we should have a simple poll for each STB version and then compare the results?

riffjim4069 said:
...Perhaps we should have a simple poll for each STB version and then compare the results?
Makes sense...

Come to think of it, I would hope that E* has an assessment team for each of it's STB's. Folks who data mine customer .dbo's for versions, replacements, trends in reported problems with each version, etc. This would imply systematic and reliable data collection methodolgy, however (customers, CSR's, and Tech's who document the issues consistently and accurately).

By identifying constants in equipment/set-ups and issues, they might isolate the causes of various problems... If there are multiple manufacturers, the process could also identify QC problems with the production points.

E*'s gotta be doing something like this, don't ya think?

I wouldn't bet on it. Im my expereience working for companies of all sizes. Data Analysis is the first thing to go or not get delivered. If they are doing it, it's sketchy at best.
Of course i could be wrong, but i have seen no such evidence of any type of data mining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)