6ft dish with Ku circular LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
I have this dish and LNB but am unclear about which satellites other than echostar broadcast with circular polarisation.Is there any FTA available with this setup
How do you know which satellites need linear and which need circular LNB's
Thanks
Tony

I have this dish and LNB but am unclear about which satellites other than echostar broadcast with circular polarisation.Is there any FTA available with this setup
How do you know which satellites need linear and which need circular LNB's
Thanks
Tony

The circular Ku birds are all subscription birds. There are a few FTA channels on 119 that are ITC , and periodically there are others ( forgot to encrypt, we'd call them) that last a few days and are gone again.

On lyngsat, in the left hand column for a sat, is the downlink frequency and polarity.
If the polarity is H or V, then it is linear. If the polarity is L or R ( left or right) then it is a circular polarity tp.
:)

I have heard of a few "channels" here and there that are circular, an example of this is on i think it be 76w, there is some Nasa,and informational channels, and the others on 119w is the ion channel, and a few locals like Brent636 mentioned, with ion they have some good programming after the supper hour. There are probly more out there, as well. Lyngsat somtimes takes a while to update there listings too, but there are others that do keep an updated list and if you will forgive me a "TV guide" as well for what is up there. A few of the church channels also run some of the older shows at night as well.

The real question is, how much signal leaks off-beam, that you might pick up in your location?
Here is a list of DishNetwork satellites for you to try to receive.
Most won't have more than a barker channel in the clear.
Getting NASA on 119° is probably not interesting, considering your other dish. :)

82° and 91° are a circular pay satellite service from Canada (used to be called Bell Express Vu or BEV).
I wouldn't give you a ghost of a chance to detect anything from those birds.
Last time I looked, they didn't have anything in the clear, either.

DirecTV has circular birds on Ku and Ka band, but they use a different format and won't be received by most equipment.
They're fully encrypted.

Don't recall any other service using circular on Ku over North America.
But with your dishes and location, you might look into South American transmissions. :)

edit:
Oh, one last thought.
The typical circular LNBF has an F/D of around .6 or .7
So, it won't match a prime feed dish very well.
It'll be inefficient, and see only the center portion of the dish.
If your 6' dish is an offset design, that'll be fine.
Else, you would want something like a QPF-031 LNB plus AF-120 feedhorn...
... or you could use a surplus DishNetwork flange mount circular LNB with the AF-120 from Invacom.

Last edited:
The dish is offset : see photo below but I am unsure about the amount of the offset. Are they all 22 degrees or do they vary ?
Thanks
Tony

P1010033.JPG

Oh, you have an offset dish! You're all set. Go for it. :)

And I don't recall exact details but I tend to think the range as being in the 22-26° of offset.
Doesn't really matter. They all generally will match your LNB just fine.

Tonydix, I would change the lnb out and get a linear lnb. You can get lots of programming beamed to you from Hispasat 30W (Spain, Cuba, Argentina, etc), some from Satmex5 &6. Check Lyngsat for your footprint and signal levels. There is also programs scattered across the American sat arc if you move your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)