6ft Mesh Dish Performance?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I can get a free 6ft dish, and was wondering how much different it would be than an 8ft for signals near the top of the arc? I'm just wanting it for the satellites from 87-107w for my bedroom TV. My true south is 93w position, and I live at 35 N. What should I expect on C-Band? Worth the time?

A free dish is never impugned by its size. ;) But it will not perform as well as the larger dish. It's not 2° compliant and will be subject to interference from adjacent satellites.
Yes, I never complain about freebies, just curious if I can plan on certain signals not locking at all on a 6ft. I figure the borderline ones on the 8ft won't stand a chance, but most at the top of the arc are pretty strong.

Ah, okay. And have you or anyone else heard of any cool experimental projects for 6ft mesh dishes? I had wondered if it was possible to convert it into a solid dish with foil tape across the surface to enhance Ku gain? Maybe convert it into an offset with a new feed?
Surface accuracy may not be good enough for Ku. Offset dishes are actually a different shape than prime focus offset feed will probably not work well.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
I had a 6' for 15 years and it performed Excellent for me. Only reason I swapped to the 7.5' is I had it laying here and I didn't want it getting ruined on the ground. The 6' is easier to tear apart and store LOL. I am is a sweet spot for Satellite signals. The only issue I had with the 6' is in the middle of the arc transponders from close satellites would interfere with the satellite I was on. I'd just delete those transponders after scanning. Otherwise it worked awesome even though people told me it was severely undersized. I wanted to try metal window screen on mine to remesh the dish over the existing mesh. I thought it might work and then try a C/KU digital PLL LNBF.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
I had a 6' for 15 years and it performed Excellent for me. Only reason I swapped to the 7.5' is I had it laying here and I didn't want it getting ruined on the ground. The 6' is easier to tear apart and store LOL. I am is a sweet spot for Satellite signals. The only issue I had with the 6' is in the middle of the arc transponders from close satellites would interfere with the satellite I was on. I'd just delete those transponders after scanning. Otherwise it worked awesome even though people told me it was severely undersized. I wanted to try metal window screen on mine to remesh the dish over the existing mesh. I thought it might work and then try a C/KU digital PLL LNBF.
I'm in a good spot too in Arkansas. And I have no trees at all in my view. I don't need everything for the bedroom TV, just enough so two satellites can be watched at once.

You should be perfectly fine with a 6' Like I said it's not perfect but seriously mine served me VERY well for a long time and I had little trouble scanning in whatever I wanted. Spend time perfecting the install, it goes a LONG way and really helps performance. Also a good Digital PLL LNBF will help. Mine was so in tune it was amazing. My 7.5' is not there yet, I still need to adjust it some more when I get some extra time and it's a little warmer. but I live in a HOA neighborhood and I had to sneak the 7.5' up while people were at work and hope no one noticed the size difference LOL so it's performing well considering I adjusted nothing and just threw it up. I guess I'll tear the 6' apart, put it in storage and keep it for a spare if anything ever happens. also I have a Primestar 84e motorized for KU so that is why I never tried the Metal screen for mesh. A dedicated KU dish is the way to go, keep the C-band C-band. That is my opinion anyway.

You should be perfectly fine with a 6' Like I said it's not perfect but seriously mine served me VERY well for a long time and I had little trouble scanning in whatever I wanted. Spend time perfecting the install, it goes a LONG way and really helps performance. Also a good Digital PLL LNBF will help. Mine was so in tune it was amazing. My 7.5' is not there yet, I still need to adjust it some more when I get some extra time and it's a little warmer. but I live in a HOA neighborhood and I had to sneak the 7.5' up while people were at work and hope no one noticed the size difference LOL so it's performing well considering I adjusted nothing and just threw it up. I guess I'll tear the 6' apart, put it in storage and keep it for a spare if anything ever happens. also I have a Primestar 84e motorized for KU so that is why I never tried the Metal screen for mesh. A dedicated KU dish is the way to go, keep the C-band C-band. That is my opinion anyway.
I agree. I have the 75cm PrimeStar for Ku. Wish I had the 84... But I have a 90cm round HughesNet dish to try on Ku.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)