7" -10" Display recommendation needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghermai

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2007
Does anybody have a recommendation for acheap Display that I can Use to optimize the Signal on top of the roof.
Specs desired:
1. Cheap
2. Light 7" to 10"
3. Portable with builtin Rechargable Battery
4. Video compatible NTSC

Regards
G

yep... little tvs are good to have around, especially since you can climb ladders with them easily... pick up a little tv at rat shack, wal-marts stupid center, short circuit city, beast buy, k-smart, fleabay, or a local garage or yard sale. Why do they call them garage sales if they aren't selling their garages anyways?

also . . .

Some of the portable DVD players in that size, have an external video input.
It meets all your requirements but "cheap".
However, it becomes free if it belongs to your kid and you just hi-jack it for the install. :rolleyes:

Be very careful taking up lots of equipment, unless you have a flat roof or a place to stow them.
I have trouble with tools rolling off my roof, so setting a receiver or TV up there is just out of the question.

I use my kids mini-dvd player. It has a color 7" LCD screen.

It has an input that I run the composite video out from the receiver to using an adapter from RCA to mini-din, and it works fine.

I pack the receiver, mini-dvd player, and the VBox II all in a laptop carrying case for transport up to the roof. Everything is protected pretty much. Might not survive a fall from the roof all the way to the ground, but is a place to put everything in case it starts raining.

I have even installed terminal strips at my C-Band dishes, and made up some jumpers with aligator clips to just hook on at the dish. Take the coax loose from the junction/grounding block, and I am ready to go.

Fred

I use my kids mini-dvd player. It has a color 7" LCD screen.

It has an input that I run the composite video out from the receiver to using an adapter from RCA to mini-din, and it works fine.

Fred

Great Idea!!! Do you know if the mini-dvd player will allow the "snow" to come up on the screen, or does it just do one of those dumb "Blue Screens"? I'm going to be planting the pole and lining up my C-Band dish hopefully this weekend. My greatest challenge is going to be to find some good signals to tune in. I did some manual moving of the dish last weekend, and I had a heck of a time finding signal because the tv screen kept going blue because it wasn't locked on to a signal. I hadn't thought to hook up the DVD player.. I hope that mine allows the snow/ant race to show up on the screen.

The one that I use is a Polaroid, and it allow everything through.

I've used my Pansat, my Coolsat, and my Drake analog receiver with it, and have seen everything from snow, black screen, to great picture with it. It is kind of strange when you are in the darker hours of early morning or late in the evening to watch a tv show on the roof. :cool:

Fred

I use my kids mini-dvd player.
It has a color 7" LCD screen.
I knew I'd heard that somewhere!
Thanks for the idea.
I only steal from the best. :D

The thing about the DVD players, is that they have batteries in them.
I considered getting the little 5" black & white TV at Radio Shack recently (it was cheap), but I think it needed an AC adapter.
Well, the FTA receiver needs AC , so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Luckily, a friend gave me an old 12" monitor with a composite input.
Now, if it'd just sit on my slanted roof . . . :cool:

I think LinuxMan is a member of the secret Flat-Roof Society.

I knew I'd heard that somewhere!
Thanks for the idea.
I only steal from the best.

I think I stole it from someone else here on the forum a long time ago.

Yes the battery in ours is great. If it is fully charged, it will go about 3 or 4 hours during a peaking session. Nothing turning inside to run the battery down. Just the screen. :D

Fred

Try Goodwill or someplace like that for some older,cheap small TV's. You can find some older one's that won't give you the blue screen problem.

pick up a little tv at rat shack, wal-marts stupid center, short circuit city, beast buy, k-smart, fleabay, or a local garage or yard sale.

You forgot CompUSA, or ChumpUSA :D They have been known to carry closeout items like small LCD displays perfect for such an application.

It is kind of strange when you are in the darker hours of early morning or late in the evening to watch a tv show on the roof.
It's kind of awesome! I love it. As a painter, I'm in to color and things... You can't get better colors to look at than at either dawn or dusk, sitting outside, watching multicolored clouds... seeing a twilight filled sky, which may just have a hint of a sun over the horizon, a moon on the opposite side of the sky that's still clearly visible, and tons of reds, blues, violets, and purples in the clouds... and if you can throw in some yellows from street lights that either just flipped on or are about to flip off, it's even better. The morning is preferred to the evening since the roof is just a bit cooler as the sun hasn't been beating down on it for hours... Add the multicolored hues coming off of a tv and you are set!

The morning is preferred to the evening since the roof is just a bit cooler as the sun hasn't been beating down on it for hours... Add the multicolored hues coming off of a tv and you are set!

I'm with you Mastermesh!

I like the mornings on the roof in the summertime, and yes it does add a unique flavor to the TV screen when the background is like that.

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Moteck H 180

Star Choice using WaveFrontier T-90

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)