70 mile, vhf/uhf antenna

Point both antennas SE toward Knoxville, that should give you all the networks ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, ION, and CW. Aim it to get the best signal on 43.1 or 8.1. Rescan for new stations when you install and again after June 12.
Radio Shack's best UHF only antenna model U-75R, they claim it's good up to 75 miles but I have one of these and it's an OK antenna but it's not a 75 mile antenna, 50 miles at best I'd say. Your farthest station that you need is about 50 miles away, so it might work for you but I would go with the 91XG for UHF. Radio Shack sells some Winegard antennas but not the YA-1713.

You don't need a crane to install a tower. For TV reception, Rohn 25 weighs 40 pounds per section. You put it up 10' at a time. 40 pounds is light enough to go up without a gin pole.

My Rohn 45 weighs 70 pounds per section. I put it up without any help. I use my garden tractor with a rope and pulley to lift the sections.

You will need to be very careful here. I pulled a chimney off
my house that way. that was bout 28 years ago. ruined the tower
smashed my deck and it all fell around my wife. Scared the holy crap out of me!!
We were very very luck. So be warned, know what you are doing.

i dont think i could do something like that. i may be able to move my existing pole over a little so it is more out of the way of the slant of the roof, the way it is now, the antenna is right over the the middle of the roof where it slants. i guess i could move it over a few feet to the left or right

also, how is the best way to combine the vhf and uhf antenna to get the least amount of loss?

Channel Master 4228 UHF is hard to beat. Lightweight, 70 mile range and also will receive VHF channels 7-13 and I am actually picking up channel 3 on a station about 50 miles away. You will need a rotor if your station transmitters are scattered. I actually pick up the analog and digital signals for 3 stations thru the back of it. The wind blows right thru this antenna. Even in high winds, it remains stable at a height of about 25 ft. My mast is braced to the highest point of my roof line. Good luck!:)

i have thought of that but i have a lot of terrain from my house to the transmitters, it isnt flat. so i need one that will pick up good over rugged terrain

What is the best way to combine the vhf and uhf antenna to get the least amount of loss?

Two choices:

Passive adder with 1/2 db loss, Pico Macom UVSJ.

Preamp with separate UHF and VHF inputs, Channel Master 7777 or Winegard AP 2870 & AP 2880. The higher gain amplifiers should be used in fringe and near fringe areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)