720P Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
My Studio Experience 2HD projector (Sanyo Z2 clone), which is native 720P, will not accept a 720P signal from the Voom STB via DVI. I have not tried the Component output yet. It accepts 1080i, 480P and 480i but not 720P, but it will accept 720P from my Dish 6000 via a VGA/DVI adapter or Component.

I am pushing the red button and when the light bar that is 2nd from the top lights, I get no image. Going into the menu of my PJ show no signal. All other settings will show the proper resolution.

Any thoughts?

DarrellP said:
My Studio Experience 2HD projector (Sanyo Z2 clone), which is native 720P, will not accept a 720P signal from the Voom STB via DVI. I have not tried the Component output yet. It accepts 1080i, 480P and 480i but not 720P, but it will accept 720P from my Dish 6000 via a VGA/DVI adapter or Component.

I am pushing the red button and when the light bar that is 2nd from the top lights, I get no image. Going into the menu of my PJ show no signal. All other settings will show the proper resolution.

Any thoughts?

I have seen this issue discussed several times. Currently it does not work. I also was planning to connect my RP LCD display using the DVI cable. It is currently connected with Component and that does work at 720p.
Just one of MANY bugs in the current receiver.

Eeeks... that's not good, since I was going to use my AE500! Does downrezzing from 1080 hurt your PQ?

madpoet said:
Eeeks... that's not good, since I was going to use my AE500! Does downrezzing from 1080 hurt your PQ?
I do not consider going from 1080i to 720p downrezzing.

If you have a CRT based dislay (both RP and DV) 1080i will look better.
If you have a newer Plasma/DLP/LCD that accepts 720p, 720p will (IMO) look better.

I do :). If 720p is the native display (which in this case it is) and a 1080 signal, then you are downrezzing from 1080 to 720. There's no way around that.

-MP

The image is superb, I have no complaints, I just wanted to see what Alias & The Green Mile looked like when fed it's native resolution.

DarrellP, Gr8Reb8,

Madpoet is right. Keep in mind that most of the VOOM programming comes in 1080i, so someone has to rescale this to the native resolution of your TVs (720p). This can be done either within the STB or whithin the TV set. Why do you think the the $200 STB will do a better job rescaling, than your multi-thousand dollar TV? I would leave the STB set to 1080i, if I were you.

ABC & ESPNHD is 720P so I wanted to see how they looked in Native rate 720p, normally I do all of my viewing in 1080i and the pj scales it very well.

I leave mine in 1080i all the time unless I am watching SD then I put the Voom box in 480i and let my pj scale it, the SD seems to do better that way.

DarrellP,
Have you tried switching inputs or restarting your projector when VOOM STB is set to 720p? I wonder if your projector is having problems switching from one resolution to another, not with the 720p resolution itself?

Ilya,

VOOM has already confirmed the problems with 720p on the VOOM STB. The 720p signal output by the box isn't currently compatible with a number of displays. Wilt said they were investigating the issue to see what was needed to fix it.

Yes, I tried starting up the PJ with the Voom STB in 720p, no-go. My PJ does fine switching modes with my Dish 6000, though it's an Analog signal in, is that the difference? I use a VGA to DVI convertor cable on my 6K.

Could be the case here, who knows... I would still give it a try. Some people had success with 720p mode by simply switching their TV sets. Worth a try.

DarrellP said:
Yes, I tried starting up the PJ with the Voom STB in 720p, no-go.
Tough luck :(
My PJ does fine switching modes with my Dish 6000, though it's an Analog signal in, is that the difference? I use a VGA to DVI convertor cable on my 6K.
Do you have a component input on your PJ? I would try that.

madpoet said:
I do :). If 720p is the native display (which in this case it is) and a 1080 signal, then you are downrezzing from 1080 to 720. There's no way around that.

-MP

You arent down-rezzing. you are scaling. more info per-frame with 720p than 1080 BTW... how is that downrezzing again?

I do have component and am now using my 6000 and JVC DVHS deck on that input. I am quite happy with the Voom STB at 1080i so I will leave it that way for now. I had to relegate my nice component DVD player to S-Video, I'm running out of inputs!

Nice problem to have! ;)

madpoet said:

-MP
In my book, 1080i=540p. So going from 540p to 720p would be uprezzing :yes.
On my display (native 720p), I have tried both, going back and forth, many times. I always end up preferring 720p.
Now, if I had a CRT based display, I'm sure I would end up at 1080i.