720P vs. 1080P

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just because a manufacture starts making a 1080p panel, doesn't mean the countries providers are required to change all of thier equipment so they can push 1080p. Local networks are having a hard enough time getting enough money to get on board with HD period.

jimbo

I never said they were....

Agree completely with you, probably no 1080p from broadcasters for a long time.
Quote from my own post "There won't be any 1080p content from any of the broadcast providers (OTA, DirecTV etc) in the near future. Even maybe the far future, who knows."

Agree completely with you, probably no 1080p from broadcasters for a long time.
Quote from my own post "There won't be any 1080p content from any of the broadcast providers (OTA, DirecTV etc) in the near future. Even maybe the far future, who knows."

True, but the 1080i and 720p transmissions upconverted to 1080p, by my Mitsubishi HDTV, sure looks more detailed than at 1080i.

digiblur...
D* can't even bring themselves to broadcast in true 1080i yet, so what makes you think they are going to do the 1080p thing?

Jimbo...
Just because a manufacture starts making a 1080p panel, doesn't mean the countries providers are required to change all of thier equipment so they can push 1080p. Local networks are having a hard enough time getting enough money to get on board with HD period.

I never said they were....

Jimbo

digiblur...
D* can't even bring themselves to broadcast in true 1080i yet, so what makes you think they are going to do the 1080p thing?

Jimbo...

Jimbo

Exactly...

True, but the 1080i and 720p transmissions upconverted to 1080p, by my Mitsubishi HDTV, sure looks more detailed than at 1080i.

In theory the 1080i picture should look just about the same on a 1080p display, certainly from a detail point of view (they both have the same resolution). If you are watching a movie shot on film, then if your TV has good deinterlacing and 3:2 (or more correctly, 2:3) pulldown, you will see close to a true 1080p picture, not just 1080i on a 1080p display.
A 720p picture on a 1080p display should look better than on a 1080i display because it does not have to go through the interlacing process.

Last edited:
In theory the 1080i picture should look just about the same on a 1080p display, certainly from a detail point of view (they both have the same resolution). If you are watching a movie shot on film, then if your TV has good deinterlacing and 3:2 (or more correctly, 2:3) pulldown, you will see close to a true 1080p picture, not just 1080i on a 1080p display.
A 720p picture on a 1080p display should look better than on a 1080i display because it does not have to go through the interlacing process.

I actually should have said it looks sharper and crisper, not detailed.

Another thing to consider when choosing a TV's resolution is the size of the screen and the distance you will be sitting from the screen. For most, a screen 42" and under will be fine at 720p if you are sitting more then 8' away. YMMV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts