722 and 722k - Differences in OTA Performance?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Is anyone aware of differences in OTA performance between the 722 and 722k? I have a 722k and when I compare its OTA performance to that of the tuner of my Toshiba TV, there is no comparison. The TV's tuner is able to maintain a picture with a weaker signal versus the 722k which has more drop-outs (and throws up the wonderful yellow signal loss warning). In other words, the TV's tuner does better at "buffering" the OTA signal than the 722k. Therefore since the 722 (non-k) is a little different with its built-in OTA - instead of an optional module - and only sends the OTA signal to one TV, does anyone know if its OTA performs better than the 722k?
I'm seriously considering replacing the 722k with a 722 for this reason, though I know I'm sacrificing "live OTA" to TV2.

Thanks...

Eric

The ota tuner is really based on what kind of antenna you are using with it. I've had both receivers and I liked the 722k, because you could do ota on both tv 1 and tv2. This of course gave me the option to record 4 prime time shows at a time on the networks. I now have the hopper and it does the same thing with just one sat tuner ,but I miss ota access. In the end I saw no difference between the tuners, except sometimes there would be a slight signal strength difference between the same ota channel on tv 1 and tv2. Not enough to make any difference on recordings or viewing live tv.

Both are inferior to any of my TVs. I had both. I think the 722 was a little better, but not so much I could reccomend swapping for it. Have you tried an amp?

The module for OTA internally splits the signal to both tuners. That means approx. half the antenna signal goes to each tuner so a 722 should have a slightly better signal. But the 722 ATSC tuner is probably 1 generation older than the module for 722K so it could be equal in response. DISH has never been known for great ATSC Tuners for some reason the DISH DTV PAL digital conversion tuner was the best I found for converter boxes. In most cases it was far superior to the tuners used in most DISH receivers.

Dish OTA tuners have historically been less efficient than most HDTV tuners. Tweaking or upgrading antenna would be better options.

Thanks for all the replies...you all are the greatest. To answer a couple of questions, I do indeed have a preamp. And, I installed a new antenna last fall - old one was 20 years old and pretty weather-weary. I wonder how the performance of the USB OTA device will be for the Hopper? I might consider that, AFTER OTA becomes available.

Eric

It's been reported to use the latest and greatest, and hence is a bit on the large side.

I have both a 722 & 722K. I see no difference in OTA performance. They also seem to be comparable to the OTA tuners on my HDTVs.
JMHO

Ed

eacalhoun said:
Is anyone aware of differences in OTA performance between the 722 and 722k? I have a 722k and when I compare its OTA performance to that of the tuner of my Toshiba TV, there is no comparison. The TV's tuner is able to maintain a picture with a weaker signal versus the 722k which has more drop-outs (and throws up the wonderful yellow signal loss warning). In other words, the TV's tuner does better at "buffering" the OTA signal than the 722k. Therefore since the 722 (non-k) is a little different with its built-in OTA - instead of an optional module - and only sends the OTA signal to one TV, does anyone know if its OTA performs better than the 722k?
I'm seriously considering replacing the 722k with a 722 for this reason, though I know I'm sacrificing "live OTA" to TV2.

Thanks...

Eric

Have you noticed a decline recently? Several weeks ago after a software update, my 722k had issues with weaker stations that it never did before release 751. I thought it was my antenna, but I found nt TV tuner was fine. I am now on 752 and it is much better - though not as good as it once was. It especial effected weaker stations on certain UHF ranges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts