722 DVR question

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
I still have a question about the tuners in a 622/722. I'm concidering upgrading.

I know there are 2 Sat tuners in the receiver and the capablity to receive OTA channels.
On my 921 you can only watch/record 1 HD and 1 SD channel at the same time. If both 622/722 tuners are HD, can you record/watch 2 HD channels at the same time?
What happens when you throw OTA HD channel into the mix? Can you record 2 HD Sat channels AND watch an OTA HD channel at the same time.

How many channels can be recorded at the same time - 2 or 3? On the 921 you couldn't watch an HD channel and record one at the same time. Basically you could only watch/record one HD program (Sat or OTA) at the same time.

What I would love to be able to do is record 2 HD Sat channels and watch an HD OTA channel at the same time.

Please keep any answers non-technical HA HA

Thanks

As discussed various places within the forums - the 622/722 has 3 independent HD tuners - 2 Sat and 1 OTA.

You can record 3 HD channels at the same time (assuming one is from the OTA Antenna).
...or you can record 2 HD channels and watch a 3rd HD channel (assuming one is OTA).
You can also watch a previously recorded HD show at the same time that you are recording 3 HD channels.

If both 622/722 tuners are HD, can you record/watch 2 HD channels at the same time?
The ViPx22 receivers can only drive one HDTV. The "Dual" output is an SD rendition of the HD channels.
What happens when you throw OTA HD channel into the mix? Can you record 2 HD Sat channels AND watch an OTA HD channel at the same time.
Yes, assuming you have a satisfactory OTA signal.
How many channels can be recorded at the same time - 2 or 3?
Three if you have all antenna connections made and working properly.

Soon to be a moot point for you, but the 921 can record 2 HD at once (2 sat, or 1 sat/1 ota), and even let you watch a previously recorded HD at the same time.

The 722 adds the ability to record from all 3, tune MPEG4 channels, NBR, more timers, 3-hour wide guide, optional EHD, etc.

I have recorded 2 ota programs at the same time
along with the 2 sat tuners so I have recored 4 programs at once. Need to see if i can record 3 ota programs ota
with 722

along with the 2 sat tuners so I have recored 4 programs at once. Need to see if i can record 3 ota programs ota
with 722
Wow, you must be some kind of wizard to make the 722 do something it can't do.:rolleyes:

yes I have

Originally Posted by gtjr92
with 722

Uhmmmm...no you haven't.

Ok I see how my post was misinterpted my bad.
I have two dvr's (one is a non dish dvr) and I split my OTA and
so yes I can record 2 ota channels at once, no not soley with the 722.

Originally Posted by gtjr92
with 722

Uhmmmm...no you haven't.

Ok I see how my post was misinterpted my bad.
I have two dvr's (one is a non dish dvr) and I split my OTA and
so yes I can record 2 ota channels at once, no not soley with the 722.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, I can record 4 OTA channels and 3 SAT at the same time, of course I have a 622, a 510, 2 TiVo's and a Panasonic Showstopper.

I want to hook up two or three hdtv to vip722.. (I know they will only be able to show the same hd channel) what would be the best way... i tried one hdmi one 50foot componet cable got picture but no sound.. please help,, Thanks

I want to hook up two or three hdtv to vip722.. (I know they will only be able to show the same hd channel) what would be the best way... i tried one hdmi one 50foot componet cable got picture but no sound.. please help,, Thanks

You probably only have the component cable connected and you need to connect a red and white cable for the audio.

Unless you use an HDMI splitter you can feed only 2 TVs with HD, one with the HDMI and one with the Component cable.

you are correct i didnt have the red and white.. Thanks ... would it be better if i got a hdmi splitter to split to three tv???? if so what splitter... I have seen them at monoprice??? Thanks for your help..