722 random problems

sprprsnmn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
I have a VIP 722 at the house and have been happy with its performance until recently.

I had one 722 that went bad, and this is the 2nd one that I have had. I am afraid that this one might be dying too. Here are the symptoms:

Accessing the menus on the system takes an inordinate amount of time. If I press the DVR button, it will be up to 30 seconds before the menu appears.

If you pause live TV, it waits for 10-15 seconds, and then jumps back to live TV. If you are watching an event that is recording, and you start from the beginning, it will play for 30 seconds or so, then jump to live TV. (which is great when you DON'T want to know what the score is in the game :rant:)

Also, the unit will randomly reset itself. I can't determine the frequency at which this happens, but I know it's not just when I am watching TV, b/c I have several shows that recorded when I wasn't home that are broken into 2 and 3 parts.

Sounds like impending HD failure, which is mostly caused by heat build-up. Have you had both receivers in well ventilated areas?

The receiver sits at the top of an AV cabinet. There is ample space around the device, but there is no active cooling.

This sounds very similar to what happened to my 722 over the past couple weeks.
About 2 weeks ago, skipping forward would sometimes mean a 15-20 second pause. Fast forward was hardly quicker than realtime. Thursday night, I pressed the skip forward button and the screen locked up. It didn't come back. Hard reset and the receiver ended up in a loop of reboot, check satellites, get to step 3 of 5, and repeat. Friday morning the receiver puts up a message that there is an issue that won't allow recording.

That brings up another story. I called Dish Friday night to report the failure. They agree to send another one out (overnight I believe) but to expect delivery on the 20th (5 days). When asked if I had any other issues. I mentioned that I called about a month ago because I should be getting my locals in HD, but they were not showing up. I was informed that I wasn't pointing to the right satellite and they would send someone out for $99 to change that. I have 2 dishes pointing at 61.5, 110, and 119, but need the 61.5 to point to 129 for local HD. I protested the cost for a 10 minute redirection of the dish and they agreed to do it for free. Meanwhile I'm looking at my guide and notice that all the locals have turned red. They indicate that they are not subscribed so I told the CS that. They informed me that because they changed my acct that would happen. I told them to put it back, but they said they couldn't. I could only imagine my wife's horror of not watching Big Brother on Sunday night. They said it would be fixed when the satellite is changed. Earliest install time... morning of the 19th (5 days later). This continues my trend of Dish being great until you need to call them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts