722 Recording Question

jrv331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
NE Ohio
Im having a 722 installed on Monday and am trying to get a heads up on the DVR capabalities and am getting a little confused by the online manual. It will be connected to two tvs and TV1 is where most of the watching and playing back will be done. TV2 will not be used very much, only at night time before the wife goes to bed. According to the manual I should set recordingd to be done on TV2, so does this mean that if a recording is in progress she can not watch something else? If so how would one record something while watching different things on both tvs? Can this be done?
Thanks
John

If you leave the 722 on it's factory settings, it will record to the TV2 tuner, unless you already have something recording there, in which case it will switch to the TV1 tuner, which would then lock up both your tuners and prevent you from the changing the channel on either TV without cancelling a recording. Keep in mind though, even if both Tuners are recording, you can still either watch what is being recorded, OR watch 2 shows from your DVR that have already finished recording. Both TVs can even watch the same recording at the same time too if you like.

If you don't like it that way you can press Menu, 8, 5 and either Disable this feature, which would make it so it will record to whichever TV you set the Timer from..... or keep Record Plus enabled and change the default TV to TV1....

Will the wife be watching anything on TV2 at the same time you are watching something on TV1?
If not, just put the box in single mode. Then all recordings will be done 'in the backgound', but TV1 and TV2 will be watching the same thing. This may be more beneficial to a single person.

Also in single mode you can press Swap button to switch which live tuner is viewed or PIP for both tuners. Of course, these only work if you are not in dual mode and not watching different programs.
-Ken

I'm a new 722 owner. I have a related question. The output to TV2 is SD. If I record HD programming to TV2, can I later view it on TV1 in HD? I know I could test this out, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I should say that in my home, TV1 is a HD set (when they deliver it today!) and that TV2 is SD.

Sorry, I should have explained better. I want to watch a tv show( not recorded) on tv1 while my wife watches something else on tv2 while also recording a program on another channel. Is this possible?
Thanks
John

I'm a new 722 owner. I have a related question. The output to TV2 is SD. If I record HD programming to TV2, can I later view it on TV1 in HD? I know I could test this out, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I should say that in my home, TV1 is a HD set (when they deliver it today!) and that TV2 is SD.

You have assumed correctly. A TV2 HD recording can be viewed in HD on tv1.

fred

Sorry, I should have explained better. I want to watch a tv show( not recorded) on tv1 while my wife watches something else on tv2 while also recording a program on another channel. Is this possible?
Thanks
John

There are only two tuners available to record and view (three if you have OTA). If tuner 1 is watching something live and tuner 2 is recording, only options for viewing on tv2 would be to view tuner 1 live (watching the same thing as tv1), watch what is being recorded on tuner 2, or view something previously recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)