722k Recordable Hours?

InHouse

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Midwest
I'm wondering how dish is getting away with this. The sticker on the outside of the 722k box says up to 500 hours (3rd point) but after install and checking it. They only allow a max of 350 SD and 55 HD hours record time? So by upgrading to this box from a standard 722 we are losing OTA unless you want to pay the $29.95 for the OTA module? Isn't this false advertising or in the least very misleading? Looks like to me they are still using the same size hard drives despite any claims of more hours. Guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon...

722k.jpg

The total (obligatory "up to") 500 hours would include all the "on demand" stuff they download which you have no control of. Plus the fact that the 350 number is an estimate based on MPEG-2 compression and you will probably get much more than that if you're on eastern arc which is mostly MPEG-4.

I agree with your sentiment, if you can only record 350 hours it should say that on the box, not 500.

Oh yeah, pretty funny. My 722 shows 55 hours hd, but hd programs off dish only take around 40 minutes. OTA HD takes about 85 minutes. (just so you know what to expect)

I'm wondering how dish is getting away with this. The sticker on the outside of the 722k box says up to 500 hours (3rd point) but after install and checking it. They only allow a max of 350 SD and 55 HD hours record time? So by upgrading to this box from a standard 722 we are losing OTA unless you want to pay the $29.95 for the OTA module? Isn't this false advertising or in the least very misleading? Looks like to me they are still using the same size hard drives despite any claims of more hours. Guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon...

1. As was pointed out, the sticker says UP TO 500 hours.
2. It's 350 hours SD OR 55 hours HD OR some combination there in.
3. The OTA module allows Dish to save money by not installing OTA in every receiver when many people will not ever use it.
4. False advertising? Not hardly. Look around - Dish is lame campared to some of the ads people are exposed to.
5. With the EHD function turned on, you can store hundreds and hundreds of hours of programming.

If you are going to hold back on upgrading just because of a $30 fee here and a $40 fee there, your smoking, drinking, and gaming may be interfering with your tv watching.

Note: Some tongue in cheek humor may have been implied in the last somewhat fact based statement and should not be construed as a personal flame attack. Your results mnay vary and the preceding comments may not be for everyone. Consult your doctor should you have any adverse reactions to reading this. Not responsible for the content or effects of these comments.

These comments do not reflect the opinions of Satguys management or it's owner.

I agree with 8bits comments, but it is BS to put that on the box. No math you use can come up with 500, even SD. You cant even get 500 by adding 55+350 ;)

If they meant PLUS VOD, they shoulda made that not. People are gonna get the box and go "WOW", then as soon as they look at time left in the DVR screen, they are gonna go "WTF??".

I agree with 8bits comments, but it is BS to put that on the box. No math you use can come up with 500, even SD. You cant even get 500 by adding 55+350 ;)

If they meant PLUS VOD, they shoulda made that not. People are gonna get the box and go "WOW", then as soon as they look at time left in the DVR screen, they are gonna go "WTF??".

It's a lot like MPG on your car. 35 on the highway? Yeah! Only I really have only gotten up to 31.

Maybe the hours should be more accurate but that is near impossible when you mix sd and hd and mpeg2 and mpeg4.

I dont disagree, but its the fact the joe blow isnt gonna even see how in the world they claimed 500 hours. Saying 55 HD and 350 SD is fine, because youll notice as you use it that hd and sd varies, but not a lot. 500 is just wacky, and Dish as a company right now should work on improving how they relate to and inform the customer. Dont get me wrong, i could care less about the 500 claim because I know the deal, but the majority doesnt read satguys.

And on the MPG's, having a lead foot doesnt help! :D

I dont disagree, but its the fact the joe blow isnt gonna even see how in the world they claimed 500 hours. Saying 55 HD and 350 SD is fine, because youll notice as you use it that hd and sd varies, but not a lot. 500 is just wacky, and Dish as a company right now should work on improving how they relate to and inform the customer. Dont get me wrong, i could care less about the 500 claim because I know the deal, but the majority doesnt read satguys.

And on the MPG's, having a lead foot doesnt help! :D

As mentioned, Eastern arc get MPEG4 SD which may well mean up to 500 hours of SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts