722k Replaced, fan super loud again

Thanks for the insight; I will check the temps again tomorrow, but, moving the sling adapter off the top of the receiver has made it feel a lot cooler to the touch, so hopefully this hd isn't going to be fried soon..
1. Sling adapter ... that case is aluminum for heat dissipation ... as you look on the bottom, you'll see the screw covered area is all of the size of the adapter inside (its a mini-pci sized card like would go into a laptop for their wireless radios)
it is your heat cause

2. hard drives are on the right side of the box as you face it ... while the fan is right next to it, the heat sensors are more likely in the center of the box, and they don't use efficient passive cooling with any other chips inside

3. idiots designed and build these stupid boxes ... where would *you* ever find it acceptable to pull the HEAT *from* a power supply *THROUGH* the rest of your electronics? ... I certainly wouldn't ... and would have recommended they build the power supply and hard drive mount next to each other, with the fan pulling through a baffle from the mainboard into the HD & Pwrsupply bays or hey ... two fans one for the mainboard section, one for the combo power supply & hard drive area... but that's just my thinking .. not like electrical and design engineers really got to look at the inside and think about such echostar stupidity.

good points man; since moving the sling adapter off the top, and to the back of my rack, my box definitely feels cooler; although, the settings still show the temps the same, someone else said it takes a long time for the max temp to "update" itself, so who really knows what temp the hd is at now..

and, it appears, that moving the sling to the back of my rack hasn't really affected its ability to transmit signal, since I can still access it from my tablet and my pc..

hopefully, if I can go a few days without the fan kicking into "turbo" mode again, that this will solve the issue. I am sure there is a limit to how many replacement boxes Dish is willing to provide to someone..
thanks for everyones input!

2. hard drives are on the right side of the box as you face it ...
My 722 and my 612 both have drives left of center with a ducted fan to the left of that blowing out the left hand side. Agree with your other comments. The fan DOES draw from the whole box, and that means any other hot air, e.g. from the PS, would be drawn right across the disk!

since moving the sling adapter off the top, and to the back of my rack, my box definitely feels cooler...

I have not noticed any significant heat coming off my Sling Adapter, which sits atop my 722. Does it heat up significantly when in use?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

722 722.JPG 722k 722k.jpg

My 722 and my 612 both have drives left of center with a ducted fan to the left of that blowing out the left hand side. Agree with your other comments. The fan DOES draw from the whole box, and that means any other hot air, e.g. from the PS, would be drawn right across the disk!

I have not noticed any significant heat coming off my Sling Adapter, which sits atop my 722. Does it heat up significantly when in use?

It doesn't get hot, but it does get warm

A picture is worth a thousand words.

722 View attachment 73489 722k View attachment 73490

I stand corrected on the "left of center" comment. Those drives are close enough to "center" to leave it at that. Where is the front panel? If that's on the bottom of these pics, then the fan blows out the right hand side contrary to my memory. (My memory has been wrong before.)

Front panel is down on those pix. BTW 140° is not that hot if it is the high temp. Mine is 138° hi and 122° avg with a low of 113°. These are not that unusual for an HDD that runs all the time.

Apologies to all for my erroneous post #23. Failing memory. :( Would a mod please delete it?

Front panel is down on those pix. BTW 140° is not that hot if it is the high temp. Mine is 138° hi and 122° avg with a low of 113°. These are not that unusual for an HDD that runs all the time.

So what does it prove that your High is 138°? FYI, 142° and above the receiver will shut down!

So what does it prove that your High is 138°? FYI, 142° and above the receiver will shut down!
There used to be a thread on the subject and mine wasn't that high. So that's why I stated it. It's the avg that really makes the most difference. The low is set from when you first turn it on or when they start it up at the factory to check it works.

There used to be a thread on the subject and mine wasn't that high. So that's why I stated it. It's the avg that really makes the most difference. The low is set from when you first turn it on or when they start it up at the factory to check it works.

The thread is still here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...average-622-722-temperature-thread-yours.html. More that 100 pages with more than 1000 posts, show me all the reports with High temp of 142° or higher and the receivers still working without any problems.

Last edited:
Still waiting. Also, the receiver will overheat and shut down because of High temp not Avg temp and Low temp has nothing to do with factory check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)