722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

Hey, quick question.

Is there any way to manually set or change the tuner on a future recording? For instance, I'm recording Hung/Entourage and In Plain Sight on Sundays and I'd like to swap their tuners from what they currently are by default

Thanks for this thread. I'm coming back to Dish after a foray into the Direct world and I'm getting the 722k w/OTA module tomorrow. After reading these comments (and I did read all of them) I'm really looking forward to getting everything in place.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I've got a long story on my new 722K but that won't happen until after I get a reply from CEO @ echostar.com. Now for this short story. Why are the new remotes 20 & 21 so friggin hard to press. And since they are it is causing a lot of double punches. I'm already felling like I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

whatchel1 -
haven't noticed that at all. Both of mine are a little firmer than my old remotes, but I think that has more to do with the age of the old remotes. I've not experienced any double presses. Are you seeing a delay from when you press the button until you get a response from the receiver? If so try a front panel reset and see if you still see it.

I got my 722k w/OTA module installed last night. Install was OK even if he showed up quite a bit late. Got the automated call from Dish at 8:30AM to confirm the install was done right. Glad I was up and had coffee... :)

Had a glitch that showed up last night. While watching on SAT tuner, the signal would disappear and the error screen come up. Pop into and out of the guide and all returned to normal. No rhyme or reason that I could discern. I set it up to record 2 OTA and 2 SAT events overnight at the same time. All 4 recorded flawlessly. This morning everything seems to be OK, the signal loss glitch isn't showing up so far. Maybe it just needed a bit of 'burn in'. Who knows or cares, as long as it is gone.

Question - I thought I remembered that I could get a single channel listing vertically with my older Vip622, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that. Am I misremembering?

thanks

Never seen the single channel listing vertically on any Dish receiver. I have, however, seen this on Comcast boxes.

Don't see if you got a reply, so . . .

i have a 722 not a K model and i get pops every now and then skipping through commercials and such. i have my audio going through toslink to my receiver so i'm not sure what the problem is either. wish they would fix it though. kind of annoying.
Physically there is nothing you can do about the signal change. It is whatever the station is sending out AND what they can send to you is only what the program has to offer or what they choose to send. It is not a DISH thing nor can it be "fixed" technically by DISH or any provider. They're just passing on the channels audio as it comes to them. When the type of transmission changes, things will happen and I would imagine that this early in the game most receiver manufacturers have not realized or addressed this issue yet. But they'll have to. Unfortunately, since it is so close to the "transition", not all programming conforms to DTV standards and since there are still many SD sets, SD programming and channels (Still. I Know!) out there it may be a while before it does. That means station ID logos (God I hate those!!!!) and D.O.G.s (Digital Onscreen Graphics - REALLY hate those) will be set up for SD and be in the middle of your beautiful new HDTV picture. This also means that audio that has always been a second thought will only be HD/5.1 if they have the programming, money to do so or the intelligence (not seeing much of that) to step up. Also I see that during transitions to and from commercials, even it they have 5.1, there is no audio sent at all, so that null period is a signal change to the receiver, just as when you skip or etc. That's just a way of life.

Every time I do any of what is described I see my older, but still one of the best, 7.1 receiver recalibrate itself on many levels to accommodate the changed optical (or Coaxial) audio signal. I have never gotten a pop when it does, I do get dropout though, maybe my receiver "buffers" the transition by dropping out the audio briefly. But just to be safe I have Attenuation, if your model has it, as let's say, an Audio Surge Suppressor, protection turned on. I get no reduction is audio quality nor breathing as some "filter" features do. I do get "spacial impact". That is when you go from 2 speakers to 7 and you have sound coming at you in all directions.

If you can, check to see if your TOS/Optical input has Attenuation. On my receiver when this is on, on the face of my receiver next to the type of audio being received indicator there is a little ATT that lights up. For you, if you have it, hopefully it will help with the pop or at least make it less dangerous for your gear.

I am a new sub with Dish, after kicking Directv to the curb....long story. :rant:

I have the install scheduled next Saturday for the VIP 722k and was wondering if all the outputs for tv1 are active simultaneously ?

Thanks

I'm thinking of coming back to dish after being away for a couple of years. Right now, I only have an OTA setup in my house (attic antenna). My question is...will dish let me get a 722k, not pay for their HD services (just get a basic bronze or family package), but still allow me to use my OTA HD with the 722k?

Also, do I have to buy locals in order to get guide info for my OTA locals?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)