771A Error

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cobra611

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Beacon, NY
Weird problem. I have an SWM setup with 2 HR21 receivers. While doing some work, I unplugged the incoming line from my receiver upstairs. When I did that, the receiver downstairs froze up with a 771A error. I tried plugging the cable back into the receiver, and now have this error on both DVR's. After several reboots, I unplugged the PI from the receiver downstairs. A short time later, I had a signal and picture upstairs. With the PI plugged back in downstairs, still an error. It's now been about 6 hours, 8 reboots and a few other different configurations, and still an error downstairs. I spoke with a tech at DirecTV and he had me do most of what I already did again. Bottom line, tech will be here Tuesday. Just thought it was odd, that by just undoing the incoming cable from the receiver without the PI, could cause this issue. Has anyone encountered anything like this, and been able to fix it without a service call??

Thanks!

When you removed the cables and put them back; did you make sure to have the power unplugged from the wall outlet?

Not saying you did but I have seen devices short out because of the failure to remove power first. I would try what Jimbo mentions first and see if that helps and maybe more users will chime in too.

You have to treat SWM the same way you treat your home network (because that is what it is). This is what D*'s tech support had my installer do:

1. Unplug all the receivers and the PI to the SWM head.
2. Plug in the PI and wait about a 30 seconds.
3. Plug in one receiver and let it fully boot.
4. Do that with each of the other receivers in your "network" in turn.

I takes a bit, but that resets the SWM and all will be well. The last time I disconnected one of my receivers to take it along with our RV trip I experienced just a lockup on our MRV; no 771A error. Following this procedure fixed everything.

Well, I removed both cables and unplugged the PI. I actually let it sit for well over an hour while I tended to other things. Reattached everything, and now all is well:) Thank you all for your assistance. No I can keep my dentist appointment and cancel the service call.

Well, I removed both cables and unplugged the PI. I actually let it sit for well over an hour while I tended to other things. Reattached everything, and now all is well:) Thank you all for your assistance. No I can keep my dentist appointment and cancel the service call.

Glad to see it was resolved !!!

I have a question on the same subject? I have a friend in for the weekend and he brought his hr24 with him, we tried hooking it up on my system and we got the 717a. We discovered that he has swm and I do not, is their any way to make it work?

I have a question on the same subject? I have a friend in for the weekend and he brought his hr24 with him, we tried hooking it up on my system and we got the 717a. We discovered that he has swm and I do not, is their any way to make it work?

Sure,
When you set it up, go thru the menus to Repeat Sat Set Up.
Menu, Set Up, System Set Up, Sat and Antenna, REPEAT SAT SET UP.

When you get there, it will ask what type of dish set up you have, change HIS recvr to your set up and proceed.

Make sure he knows how to re set it for when he goes home, if he has a SWM it should auto detect his set up, but just to be sure.

I am having the same problem.

I unplugged the PI, unplugged all the boxes. Waited about an hour, plugged the first one in and still nothing.

Mine was working fine until we lost electricity over night. Could the PI have gotten fried somehow? I did try to bypass the splitter and it still would not work.

I did not install my dish so I know nothing about checking the connections on the dish outside. If I mess with that, don't I risk moving the dish off alignment?

Any suggestions?

About a week, ago, I was there when a 70 year old friend of mine asked me to help him convert to HD. Previously he had a D-10 receiver with a Phase III dish.

To my surprise, the tech installed aa R21 with a SWM 5lnb head with a power inserter for one feed.

A power outgage reported the same 771A error as stated, here. It took over an hour for him fiddling with a CSR technition over the phone for him to get the signal back.

The next day, he called me and asked me, if there was a better option.

Luckily, I had a brand new 5lnb head with a built in four output multiswitch and a B Band Converter.

I installed it Thursday, and he is again a happy DirecTV user. I have installed his Hughes single satellite 101 receiver dish in 1999, which DirecTV upgraded for him with a Phase III dish for locals.

Advance technology for its own sake is empty technology.

That's why you probably never heard of Stanton Wooster and Nungesser and Coli. They were two of Charles Lindbergh's competitors. Who was the real "flying fool?"

PI = power inserter

I do wish people would stop using acronyms and abbreviations. It makes life easier for ever from the 1st message. It doesn't take that much longer to type out exacts.

PI = power inserter

I do wish people would stop using acronyms and abbreviations. It makes life easier for ever from the 1st message. It doesn't take that much longer to type out exacts.

Well, there USE to be a Glossary on site for the Sat stuff, but I don't know where it went to, it's been gone for awhile.
Hopefully it's still here, under a link I haven't tried.

OK, I'll take over as the most clueless one on the forum, but PI stands for ? Plug in? (And the SWM head is essentially the cable splitter, correct?)

A swm is a type of lnb that uses one cable from the dish to the house. It could also refer to a type of multiswitch that is used with a normal lnb (four cables from the dish to the multiswitch) then one cable to a dvr.

Well, there USE to be a Glossary on site for the Sat stuff, but I don't know where it went to, it's been gone for awhile.
Hopefully it's still here, under a link I haven't tried.

yep, but for efficiency's sake and just the ease of use for the poster (not having to ask/post 3 or 4 times, no need to browse away and come back later). its not hard to just type things out.

yep, but for efficiency's sake and just the ease of use for the poster (not having to ask/post 3 or 4 times, no need to browse away and come back later). its not hard to just type things out.

I wish my Company would do that ..... everything at the company is an acronym.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts