$799.99 HR10-250 forum deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually DirecTV has been publicly telling everyone -- including Wall Street financial analysts -- that it expects to charge little or nothing to subscribers who have bought (or will buy) an HD TiVo.
Direct (or DirecTV) quote: "You don't treat your very best, and most profitable customers, poorly."
Personally I would love to find out who at DirecTV has allegedly been telling ...clients in the know to hold off from purchasing MPEG2 compliant equipment as they "do not know what there policy will be regarding exchange or discount" for MPEG4 compliant equipment.
They therefor ask clients to error on caution at this time...."

Hell, I always thought I was one of their "clients in the know".
The things you learn reading posts!

Yeah, that's rubbish. The box will work for a long time. The OTA recording will work forever and the HD Channels they have now will stay MPEG2 until 2007 or later, so no worries. And the warranty is a 5yr D* equipment warranty, as was explained earlier, so it will transfer to new equipment...

BFG said:
Yeah, that's rubbish. The box will work for a long time. The OTA recording will work forever and the HD Channels they have now will stay MPEG2 until 2007 or later, so no worries. And the warranty is a 5yr D* equipment warranty, as was explained earlier, so it will transfer to new equipment...

However, one of the disappointing things I learned by reading the manual (available online) is that NO recording on the unit is available unless you are connected to the satellite and have the DVR service from D*. Unless I misunderstood:

Page 27:
"The DIRECTV DVR service provides you with the ability to record programs, create Season Pass™ recordings and WishList™ searches. It also gives you access to Showcases, TiVo Suggestions, and several convenient ways to find programs that you want to record. Without the DVR service, the HD DVR functions only as a DIRECTV High-Definition Satellite Receiver and off-air digital receiver, without any recording capability. (emphasis mine)

IBID.
"Important! The access card that came with your DIRECTV HD DVR must be inserted nto the appropriate slot on the HD DVR’s front panel before you call. Also, be sure to tell your customer care agent that you have a DIRECTV HD DVR and that you also want to activate the DIRECTV® DVR with TiVo® service. Without the DVR service, your HD DVR will not be able to record programs.

So if you ever cancel D* service, you can't use this unit to record OTA programs, though you can still *watch* them live. To be expected, I guess, since the D* service is tied to the unit and if you cancel D* DVR service, they don't want you to be able to record *anything*.

Trav said:
Just curious... as a 6 year customer of E*, what made you switch? E* has the 921 and the upcoming 942 - were you like me and 1) didn't want the 921 because of its reliability issues (bugs, etc) 2) don't want to wait for the 942, which might not even be able to existing customers for quite some time?

Also, what do you mean put your account "on hold"? You mean you didn't cancel?

Thanks.
As far as the E* equipment goes, you nailed it. Given the disaster that the 921 is for most, who's to say about the 942? Price wise the 10-250 was only 100.00 more than the 942 will be and it is proven to work now.
When I called E* to cancel they gave me the option to put the account on hold for up to 6 mos, meaning that if I should opt to go back there is no reconnect fee and I still maintain my "seniority". I guess that would only be important if there is some real monetary incentive for existing customers regarding the 942.

klok said:
As far as the E* equipment goes, you nailed it. Given the disaster that the 921 is for most, who's to say about the 942? Price wise the 10-250 was only 100.00 more than the 942 will be and it is proven to work now.
When I called E* to cancel they gave me the option to put the account on hold for up to 6 mos, meaning that if I should opt to go back there is no reconnect fee and I still maintain my "seniority". I guess that would only be important if there is some real monetary incentive for existing customers regarding the 942.

Oh okay, I get it. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial for me to put my account on hold with Dish since I signed up for 1 yr with D*? I guess I have 14 days to decide whether I like D* or not, but I won't be cancelling E* until next month anyway (when my 1 yr is up).

Well I didn't order the HR10-250, but I DID order and receive the Zenith SAT520 receiver that Robert at Value Electronics highly recommended, and it came without the remote control. I was leery about buying remanufactured goods for this reason. I've left messages and hope that it gets here soon.

If I ever get it set up, I'll let everyone know how it is.

I responded to your other post on the HD-SAT520 thread. If my office has not sent the remote already, I will overnight it immediately.

Very sorry the remote was left out of your HD STB.

-Robert

Thank you Robert. While you're at it, can you send me a new p5 access card too? I tried registering the receiver with Directv using the access card that came in the box only to find out that it doesn't work because it's already registered with another user. She told me to return it and get a new one from the seller. Either that, or I can get one from D* for $20.

Thank you for your quick response.

Robert,

I called the other day to ask for an exchange for my HR10-250 that has a dead HDMI port. I spoke with Graham, who told me he gladly take care of it by calling D* and arranging for a replacement. When I got home from work that night, he had written me an e-mail asking for the make and model of my TV (because I guess D* requires this now for HR10-250 returns). Anyway, I wrote back with the info Thursday and was just wondering if that had been taken care of now?

Also, my experience with you guys has been terrific! I am very pleased with all aspects of business with you: price was right, phone support excellent, the installer you guys used to get me hooked up with D* was ON TIME and did a good job, etc. The only problem I've had is the HDMI port being DOA but the component cables are working fine for now (though I had to unhook my Xbox for now).

I'll send you a PM with the order number if you want to check for me.

Thanks,
Travis

Glad the experience was very good so far, I won't let you down now. I'm happy we can take care of any defective problem with a fast advance replacement and I'm also happy that we have component video HD while we're waiting. I'll check out the status of your HR10-250 advance replacement and let you know.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Glad the experience was very good so far, I won't let you down now. I'm happy we can take care of any defective problem with a fast advance replacement and I'm also happy that we have component video HD while we're waiting. I'll check out the status of your HR10-250 advance replacement and let you know.

-Robert

Robert, I never heard back from you but I did get my replacement HR10-250 yesterday and it works great (so far). I do have a question about the 5 year extended warranty though:

I assume the warranty card/info will be coming some time soon, but how I will ensure that it is for the NEW unit and not the one I returned? Do I fill out the serial number info when I get the information in the mail or is it already attached to the old receiver?

Please advise,
Travis

I do not have an HR-250, but I did purchase a Zenith HD-SAT520 from Robert at ValueElectronics, which I found out about through this (and another) thread. I originally received the receiver without the remote and with a used p5 access card. Robert at ValueElectronics corrected the mistake as soon as he heard from me, by overnighting both. Thank you Robert. I have no complaints about this purchase. Mistakes happen, and as long as it is corrected quickly and painlessly, I would still recommend them, and I applaud them for taking care of business very professionally.

If anyone wants to know more about this receiver, read my postings on the other thread related to the Zenith HD-SAT250 receiver.

I am happy with this receiver, and the overall experience with purchasing from ValueElectronics is good. I would buy from them again, no question. In fact I would buy another of this same receiver and chuck the H10 I have if it were not for the fact that the MPEG2 will become obsolete at some point. This HD-SAT520 is a very good receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)