811 + 508 combo vs just 921 comparison ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I'm just trying to get a realistic comparison of a 811 / 508 combo to just a 921.

Since the PVR capabilities are obvious and I've had them with my 508, I basically would be just gaining that same feature for HD programs. Same with "record one - watch another" capability since 921 is dual tuner - right ?

Although the 508 was basically bug free, I realize that both the 811 and the 921 have had their share and each have had some software improvments but how do they compare at this point in time ?

I've heard the HD PQ is pretty good on both units but how about SD PQ ? Even though the 811 had improved a lot with upgrades, I still found the SD PQ on the 508 better than the 811. How about the 921?

One thing I'm not clear about is this no HD / SD at the same time business? Does that mean you can't like record an SD while watching HD or visa-versa ?

Will I be able to run a seperate S-Vid & audio out of the 921 to a DVD recorder and have it work while watching a different SD or HD channel?

Bottom line question - if you had a chance to basically do an even swap of a 811 + 508 for a 921, would it be worth it ?

Thanks,
WaltinVt

Recording is not the issue - record 0,1, or 2 of HD, SD, OTA (max of 1 OTA).

You can watch ONE of anything being recorded, or anything already in the box. You can watch using the HD OR SD outputs - but NOT both at once.

Swapping out the 508/811 for a 921 is a no brainer. Same number of tuners, huge HDD, HD recording. Downside is only one output instead of 2. Keep the 508 if that's really important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts