811 P3.34, Scheduled for 1-10-06

I just got the P3.34 upgrade last night. My 811 is connected by component video to a Sony KD-34XBR2 CRT and I had to increase the "Picture" setting and lower the brightness to get a picture that matched my previous settings. The picture lacked black levels and looked washed out with the new software.

Now when I switch to the internal tuner in my Sony or watch a DVD the picture is very dark. This is going to be a pain having to make adjustments going from input to input. I normally use the 811 most of the time for OTA, though, since it's a better receiver. I get less break up from multipath problems and can pull in signals with the 811 that I can't get with the Sony tuner.

One very nice addition with P3.34 is the signal strength meter you get when you tune to an OTA station that's not strong enough to view. It really is a big help in getting the antenna set right on the money with the rotor.

Larry
SF

This update is WEIRD!
i took the update this morning - with some trepidation- and it added several
RED channels for the Omaha and KC locals in the 9000's! Now I have received these before OTA
on my 811, but cannot purchase Omaha form DISH. I can buy KC (have one) as
they call it distant locals. Very strange as Omaha (red) has the big four networks,
while KC has a fifth channel - 38 an independent - but not channel 50 which I
have in my local, OTA guide as 50-1,-2, etc.

kind of wish i had left the 2 St. Louis locals I received once (dx'ing) as I expect
the guide would show that programming in red also.

Reefer123 said:
I have rarely got the no info bug of late and I am still with 3.33. As far as happening shortly after CES I think you guys are getting a bit heavy on these conspiracy theories.
I just had Dish installed the day after Christmas, so I haven't had it for long. But, the guide was working perfectly up until about the day after CES, and now I have to do a daily reset to make my guide functional again.

I'm not saying tthat they are doing this on purpose, I'm just saying thats when I started having problems with the guide.

larrykenney said:
I just got the P3.34 upgrade last night. My 811 is connected by component video to a Sony KD-34XBR2 CRT and I had to increase the "Picture" setting and lower the brightness to get a picture that matched my previous settings. The picture lacked black levels and looked washed out with the new software.
Now when I switch to the internal tuner in my Sony or watch a DVD the picture is very dark. This is going to be a pain having to make adjustments going from input to input. I normally use the 811 most of the time for OTA, though, since it's a better receiver. I get less break up from multipath problems and can pull in signals with the 811 that I can't get with the Sony tuner.
One very nice addition with P3.34 is the signal strength meter you get when you tune to an OTA station that's not strong enough to view. It really is a big help in getting the antenna set right on the money with the rotor.
Larry
SF

Larry,

Do you get KGO channel 7 (ABC) here in SF with the 811? I get lots of pixelations and audio drops with the 811 everything else is coming in fine. I've had the signal in the upper 90s but the same problem. I can see you have an outside antenna though. I have an inside antenna.

RobertsD said:
I just had Dish installed the day after Christmas, so I haven't had it for long. But, the guide was working perfectly up until about the day after CES, and now I have to do a daily reset to make my guide functional again.
I'm not saying tthat they are doing this on purpose, I'm just saying thats when I started having problems with the guide.

this is pretty much what happened to me. i had no guide problems with 333 until they announced 334 and then i had to do daily reboots to get the guide loaded. 334 seemed to fix that problem for me but it is different guide software than 333. when you scroll a page it leaves the cursor where it is and rolls a whole page around it. 333 always put the cursor at the top or the bottom of the page if it was in the middle when you scrolled and only scrolled a partial page. the 333 worked like my older receivers guide but 334 acts like the newer 510 guide.

I've had p3.34 since its first day and I get the same "No Info" and EPG update download problems I had w/ p3.33. All of which I didn't have w/ most of the earlier software versions.

RandallA said:
Larry,
Do you get KGO channel 7 (ABC) here in SF with the 811? I get lots of pixelations and audio drops with the 811 everything else is coming in fine. I've had the signal in the upper 90s but the same problem. I can see you have an outside antenna though. I have an inside antenna.

Yes, KGO is solid on my 811 with a signal of 87-89%, like all of the other channels from Sutro. I don't have any problems with any of the stations transmitting from Sutro or Mt. San Bruno. I also get channel 68.1 out of Novato real well. The four stations that transmit from the hills above Fremont (14, 36, 48 and 54) are on the edge for me. Sometimes they're solid with signals in the 70's; other times they drop below 50% and drop out.

I'm using a CM4228 on the roof.

Larry
SF

I updated last night after reading all the posts stating that it was possible to recalibrate the TV concerning the Component video issue. I indeed was able to recalibrate my TV to what the picture was pre P3.34, and since my TV supports input specific calibrations I figured I would be able to survive P.3.34. I have noticed however that when I am viewing a analog channel and I view the guide I am seeing a quick flash / white line interferance type issue. It also occurs to a small degree when viewing OTA Digital channels and doesn't show at all viewing Satellite channels.

larrykenney said:
Yes, KGO is solid on my 811 with a signal of 87-89%, like all of the other channels from Sutro. I don't have any problems with any of the stations transmitting from Sutro or Mt. San Bruno. I also get channel 68.1 out of Novato real well. The four stations that transmit from the hills above Fremont (14, 36, 48 and 54) are on the edge for me. Sometimes they're solid with signals in the 70's; other times they drop below 50% and drop out.
I'm using a CM4228 on the roof.
Larry
SF

Thanks Larry. I'm just gonna wait until HD locals are launched, I don't want to put an exterior antenna on the roof. Looks like that will be the only way for me. Too bad because I wanted to watch the Super Bowl in HD. I get everything from Sutro OK except for KGO.

Randall

RandallA said:
Regarding the upgrade, I noticed the washed out picture with Component cables too. I also have a DVI to HDMI connection and didn't notice it there.

My brother who is a die hard E* customer is now feeling the pain of E*s customer service when it comes to resolving issues, He has the same problem of washout in component inputs. E* refuses to acknowledged the problem, instead (as typical) is blaming him for the problem. Everything was okay prior to 3.34. I told him that this is E* way of forcing you to go with MPPG 4 equipment by screwing with his 811.

Way to go E*!! screw with customer's equipment to force them to switch to your new boxes:up !protest

Bulldog said:
My brother who is a die hard E* customer is now feeling the pain of E*s customer service when it comes to resolving issues, He has the same problem of washout in component inputs. E* refuses to acknowledged the problem, instead (as typical) is blaming him for the problem. Everything was okay prior to 3.34. I told him that this is E* way of forcing you to go with MPPG 4 equipment by screwing with his 811.
Way to go E*!! screw with customer's equipment to force them to switch to your new boxes:up !protest

While I love a good conspiracy theory, history doesn't support it. This is just more incompetence from the 811 programming team. Since its release the 811 has never been right, they came closest (for me) about 3 or 4 versions ago, but that was short lived. The chip-set in these boxes is either defective, the programmers incompetent or a mix of the proceeding. Every time they try to fix one thing they screw up something else, been that way since the beginning. :mad:

NightRyder

jerryez said:
Have you tried adjusting the brightness and contrast on the tv. It will work wonders.

Sure and then readjust them when you go to composite and then back again, also when he plays his DVD player on the other component input on the TV. This is very annoying! You just don't get it!

We went through all the settings and there is just something wrong. It is wash out to the point that it is now useless. That's why I told my brother that I think E* is up to no good. He was told by the CSR to change cables and everything else and that they have not been getting any complaints. :confused: Sure the component cable just happen to go bad when 3.34 hit:rolleyes:

I decided to upgrade, and I haven't noticed much of a different in the white level.

It may be slightly different, but not like all the people in the thread are making it sound like.

P.S. I am just using the component cables that came with the reciever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)