8300HD Users that want more space

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341441

Have not seen this ever at this price. Good thru today only.

It's a 500GB eSata External Hard Drive - plugs into your SA8300HD to increase the amount of storage on the SA8300. This will get you about 60 additional hours or so of HD Programming on the SA8300 for $200.

Downside - a $80 rebate, but whatever.

They will ship. But rebate was for yesterday and Today.

i've been told bhn's version of the dvr doesn't have software to handle the external hard drive. at least, this is what i was told last year. the software upgrade was suppose to happen this year. can anybody confirm that? thanks.

i've been told bhn's version of the dvr doesn't have software to handle the external hard drive. at least, this is what i was told last year. the software upgrade was suppose to happen this year. can anybody confirm that? thanks.

They have worked in the Tampa area ever since the 8300 came out - and as noted in another thread - Tampa has never upgraded their firmware from the first day they came out.

I had a discussion with a Senior BHN Tech who actually first tried it 15 months ago - and had no problem. He noted that on one webpage of a site that sold the kit of the 3 parts (which was all that was available back then) it said it did not work with BHN, but we assumed someone just gave them bad info - or possibly they were running something besides SARA in another market.

But it clearly does work in the Tampa Bay area - and if it doesn't work, you could always return it to CompUSA. Shipping is free if ordered online - or you can order and pick it up at the store today and the rebate doesn't need to be filed until January.

Seagate eSATA 500GB installed.

My 160GB hard drive was literally full - plugged it in - plugged AC to 8300HD back in and now only 22% of the space is used.

2 others that I tipped off did the same. All were able to unbox the Hard Drive and get it running on the 8300HD in less than 5 minutes with the instructions I gave them.

All 3 working great.

SWEET!

Your lucky man, they wont turn ours on yet.

"Were worried about the implications of being able to copy the stored information to dvd and being shared over the net"

My reply "oh ya, ok, so lets remember that your Motorola cable modems were hacked the 2nd week in existence, still are, and theres nothing you can do about that either so why bother?"

their reply "No comment"

Is this with Passport or SARA software ?? Sounds like SARA.... Or, you have a very new version of Passport. I read in the past that one thing that Passport was adding was a % used/full indicator.

Passport must use something different then.

List brings up the list, B brings up about 5 options you can scroll through - on is Space Used.

It then displays the amount of space used on a graph in the upper left box on the screen - at least with SARA.

According to what I've read at AVS (I was quite active in the TWC w/ Passport thread), NO division of TWC (and BH seemed to be the same) has higher than 2.5.xx of Passport and this feature was in 3.x or even 4.x.

SARA boxes did have better success with external storage, from what I'd read. I didn't have SARA, nor access to it, so I paid it little attention.

BHN Orlando does use passport 2.5.006 as its lateest upgrade and the SATA feature is enabled on the boxs. The run Passport echo+PowerTV 6.14 to be exact. The recent update does work with addon harddrives,

ohh and from what a birdie told me has the MR-DVR (Multiroom DVR) Features built in as they begin to test and offer this service... But I think a new larger Harddrive DVR will be used for this but the current model has the software for the testing... The info is cloudy but birdies dont normally speak english....

NFL Network - will it happen?

Which coax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)