8300HDC box with Navigator is terrible

Turksat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
New York City
There is slow, then there is HDC slow... Compared to Passport, HDC's interface is very slow, by slow we mean the updates not responsiveness. It responds but it doesn't update as fast. For example the info box on guide (upper left corner where you see movie details/cast, etc.) on Passport I could fly through movies by just continuously hitting right arrow and only by looking at top right corner (movie name, star rating, etc.) on ODN/HDC there is no way you can do this, you would have to hit right for next show then wait for it to update that portion.

Just got hit with an HDC Sunday, and boy, this thing is laggy. I am very disappointed with this box.

Lack of stars in guide, what where they thinking when they skipped on Navigator and went with this cartoonish crap? It is incredibly slow in response to remote commands. I have been using 8300HD for 4 years, and I loved it, I even had to sacrifice my recorded shows because HDD started giving me errors
frown.gif
but I never expected this. My first impression was "cool, new box, new remote!" at the store, but when I got home, it was disappointing.

• No stars in guide
  • You cannot browse the guide as fast as you could with older firmware (checking movies quickly one after another, this thing does not refresh the top left corner (info box) unless I stop for a second)
  • Swap does not work to swap tuners
  • You cannot record anything if you "Start Over", hey at least let me record it from the point when I tuned into it.
  • Some HD channels do not show up at all
  • There is an odd pause/freeze frame when it first tunes into a channel
  • List is very slow "Loading Data..." ??? Come on.
  • Takes long time when adding/deleting/modifying any recording or schedule, it shows that huge screen with /!\ exclamation mark "Attention" burning yellow!!!
  • Why did they have to move Exit to the top? I always used it to clear the OSD when I am ffwd'ing.
  • Is the distance when you hit PLAY from FFWD is longer? (when it resumes, before it used to go back 30 seconds or so after hitting play, but now it feels longer)
  • Access Menu? Seems useful but they shifted stuff around. And they could have added SAP and CC buttons on the remote.
  • NO Keyword Search or Recording Scout by Keyword.

And what do you get?
+Slightly better picture quality (colors are more vivid, and maybe less pixelization/mpeg compression artifacts)
+Start Over feature
+USB outputs that do not work
+Black Bars (finally)

Just my comments on the new box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts