Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
dish1.jpg
dish2.jpg
dish slab.jpg
Thought I'd share my shoestring budget C-Band system. Total invested in materials and equipment is around $225. I'm using an 8ft SAMI w/24" US Electronics actuator that was given to me by someone about 15 miles down the road, a Titanium Sat Dual-Output C-Band LNBF w/WiMAX filtering. This is fed into an Amiko MiniHD 265 STB sold by Michael Electronics. To move it, I bought an old ProSat 210 for $20 w/shipping. It will tie me over until I find a good mover.
For my setup, I went with a floating concrete pad (4.5ft square, 2.75" thick) so that I can move it when I eventually buy a home.

So far, once I got the mount properly aligned and the dish up on it, I started finding loads of channels. I scanned in 91w first, using it as my southern sat. Then I was able to go both ways from there. Once I got to 133, I peaked the declination. I was able to go down to 43w.

I was hoping for the Alaskan Mux on 139w, but I am assuming it is not possible from Arkansas with an 8ft reflector?

I guess you can get away with only 4.5 inch of concrete in Arkansas! Must not get frost in your area. In Northwest pa the ground can freeze down to 2 feet. I would be afraid of the frost heaving here in Pa. You did good. Your Sami dish looks in nice shape.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I guess you can get away with only 4.5 inch of concrete in Arkansas! Must not get frost in your area. In Northwest pa the ground can freeze down to 2 feet. I would be afraid of the frost heaving here in Pa. You did good. Your Sami dish looks in nice shape.
Yep, here in central PA I've got the concrete for my c band dishes down two feet except for one that is mounted on top of an old shed slab that is probably 6 ft x 8 ft and 18 inches thick.
OldRollEyes2.png

Nice job on the install! Enjoy! :):thumbup

Thanks. It actually sits on the ground without ground penetration. I probably skimped a bit on the pad size, but It is at least 600 lbs of concrete, plus some extra large blocks laid on top just in case a stiff gust comes sweeping down the plain from Oklahomie! I had a friend weld angle iron legs and a support arm (for what it is worth) and then I sank it in concrete.
dish slab2.jpg

Looks like your recycled dish is in pretty good condition, and the price was right, nice save there.

Like you mentioned I would definitely put some more weight on your concrete pad, it's amazing the amount of force a 40 or 50 mph+ wind can exert on an area the size of your dish.

At a certain wind speed (around 50 mph?) a mesh dish appears solid to the air hitting it.

You could also drive 3 or 4 stakes and run guy wires to your pole if you need some more bracing, that's a pretty quick, easy and non-permanent fix.

Looks like your recycled dish is in pretty good condition, and the price was right, nice save there.

Like you mentioned I would definitely put some more weight on your concrete pad, it's amazing the amount of force a 40 or 50 mph+ wind can exert on an area the size of your dish.

At a certain wind speed (around 50 mph?) a mesh dish appears solid to the air hitting it.

You could also drive 3 or 4 stakes and run guy wires to your pole if you need some more bracing, that's a pretty quick, easy and non-permanent fix.
It's solid enough that I won't need guys, but I am planning on a few spikes around the pad to secure it from any storm gusts. Luckily, it is on the east side of the house, so the typical thunderstorm winds will be slowed a bit by the structure.

Reactions: phlatwound
Just thought I'd give and update. With warmer weather and time off for COVID-19, I had a chance to make some adjustments to my feed and put on a new LNB cover.

I really focused an getting my f/d setting and focal distance just right. Trial and error for a couple of hours seems to have everything squared away. Many of my weaker signals improved 10-15%.

My new feedhorn cover came from a 6ft dish that had huge gashes in the mesh. Imagine this thing on a little 6 footer! It was comical. But this cover and ring were both in really good shape. It was in a yard with many trees and was spared UV damage. I noticed it had the name ODOM on it. Anyone familiar with that company?

This cover and ring were molded in Little Rock, AR, so it was fitting to go on my SAMI dish that was made in Judsonia, AR. Now I have true homemade hardware!
dish cover.jpg
dish cover 2.jpg
dish close cover.jpg
LNB cover ODOM.jpg

Just thought I'd give and update. With warmer weather and time off for COVID-19, I had a chance to make some adjustments to my feed and put on a new LNB cover.

I really focused an getting my f/d setting and focal distance just right. Trial and error for a couple of hours seems to have everything squared away. Many of my weaker signals improved 10-15%.

My new feedhorn cover came from a 6ft dish that had huge gashes in the mesh. Imagine this thing on a little 6 footer! It was comical. But this cover and ring were both in really good shape. It was in a yard with many trees and was spared UV damage. I noticed it had the name ODOM on it. Anyone familiar with that company?

This cover and ring were molded in Little Rock, AR, so it was fitting to go on my SAMI dish that was made in Judsonia, AR. Now I have true homemade hardware!View attachment 144238View attachment 144239View attachment 144241View attachment 144242
Congrats! :)

Reactions: Captain Midnight

This cover and ring were molded in Little Rock, AR, so it was fitting to go on my SAMI dish that was made in Judsonia, AR. Now I have true homemade hardware!View attachment 144238View attachment 144239View attachment 144241View attachment 144242

I have the exact same dish and I got mine from a guy down the street too! lol Love it.

Hi guys!!

Does anybody knows where can I get one of these 8ft c band dish?
I live in Chula Vista, CA.

Any info will be very appreciated!!
Thank you and please stay safe!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando SatelliteGuys

Hi guys!!

Does anybody knows where can I get one of these 8ft c band dish?
I live in Chula Vista, CA.

Any info will be very appreciated!!
Thank you and please stay safe!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando SatelliteGuys

Henry, it's really best to drive around and look for an old one, or on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Plus telling everybody you know that you are looking for one. Baring that, IF you have a bunch of money, you can buy one here: 240cm (8ft) C/Ku-Band Prime Focus Mesh Satellite Dish | Tek2000.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts