8PSK signals and their strength vs. a bad reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

egg2004

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Indiana, Pa

I am having issues the 8psk on my pansat 9500HD? I have a 4dtv as my master and a 9200 HD pansat as a slave. On Galaxy 16 for example, I get signal strenghts up 88, but yet I am unable to pull in any 8psk at all. In fact, no signal shows up when i attempt to search for 8psk channels or if i manually enter the TP/channel. My pansat 9200HD has a 8psk kit installed, but I have never been able to pick anythning up with it. I think that its faulty and was thinking of buying a new receiever or a new 8psk board, but before doing so I wanted to get some sort of feed back.
Here is some info:
I have a 8 foot black mesh dish.
I have a 4DTV as my master and the 9500HD pansat as a slave. Both recievers work fine (except for the issue with the 8psk on the 9500HD).
When I bought the 9500HD reciever the 8psk card was already installed. I have removed the card and reinstalled it several times, and that made no difference. I can pick up other SD channels just fine.
I have a co-rotor II c/ku band feed horn (in good working order)

How hard is it to pick up 8psk signals?
Is there anyway to know that the reciever is actually picking them up, but there just isnt a good enough signal to fully pull in a good picture? In otherwords, is there any way to tell if the card itself is bad?
Just out of curiosity, would a 6 fook dish be able pull in 8psk signals at all? I have a 8ft, but I was thinking about getting another 6ft.
Any and all info is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I am having a similiar issue, but with the 8psk on my pansat 9500HD? I have a 4dtv as my master and a 9200 HD pansat as a slave. On Galaxy 16 for example, I get signal strenghts up 88, but yet I am unable to pull in any 8psk at all. In fact, no signal shows up when i attempt to search for 8psk channels or if i manually enter the TP/channel. My pansat 9200HD has a 8psk kit installed, but I have never been able to pick anythning up with it. I think that its faulty and was thinking of buying a new receiever or a new 8psk board, but before doing so I wanted to get some sort of feed back.
Here is some info:
I have a 4DTV as my master and the 9500HD pansat as a slave. Both recievers work fine (except for the issue with the 8psk on the 9500HD).
When I bought the 9500HD reciever the 8psk card was already installed. I have removed the card and reinstalled it several times, and that made no difference. I can pick up other SD channels just fine.

Is there anyway to know that the reciever is actually picking them up, but there just isnt a good enough signal to fully pull in a good picture? In otherwords, is there any way to tell if the card itself is bad?
Just out of curiosity, would a 6 fook dish be able pull in 8psk signals at all? I have a 8ft, but I was thinking about getting another 6ft.
Thank you in advance.
I am having a similiar issue, but with the 8psk on my pansat 9500HD? I have a 4dtv as my master and a 9200 HD pansat as a slave. On Galaxy 16 for example, I get signal strenghts up 88, but yet I am unable to pull in any 8psk at all. In fact, no signal shows up when i attempt to search for 8psk channels or if i manually enter the TP/channel. My pansat 9200HD has a 8psk kit installed, but I have never been able to pick anythning up with it. I think that its faulty and was thinking of buying a new receiever or a new 8psk board, but before doing so I wanted to get some sort of feed back.
Here is some info:

Thank you in advance.

LMAO, what receiver do you have?? 9500 doesn't have a card. The 9200 has addon cards. There is a S2 card for true Fta and also a turbo 8psk card which is only good for dish network

the 9500 is s2 out the box no need for anything else
do you get the abc mux on G-16 ? it's s2
now if you have a 9200 that's another story 3 s2 boards for the 9200
1) turbo 8 Illuminati (dishnet)
2) s-2
3) s-2 with s2 blind scan
if you have #3
when you blind scan you move it to s2 mode where it's "tuner type" dvb-s...move cursor to left or right to show dvb-s2 then scan.
good luck

Last edited:
Thank you. My mistake. it is a 9200HD...stupid on my part...sorry. Is there anyway to tell by looking at this if its a true 8psk or a turbo 8psk card? That could be the issue. Also, is there anyway to tell if the card actually works? I would expect some sort of signal straight, but it shows nothing for 8psk. I could be doing someting wrong. For example, when i am on galaxy 16 and try to tune in 4100V - 30000 I get nothing at all. However, I do pick up all the other non 8psk and non scrambled channels on that bird?

Thanks again.

when you blind scan you move it to s2 mode where it's "tuner type" dvb-s...move cursor to left or right to show dvb-s2 then scan.
does this change to dvb-s2 ?

Thank you. My mistake. it is a 9200HD...stupid on my part...sorry. Is there anyway to tell by looking at this if its a true 8psk or a turbo 8psk card? That could be the issue. Also, is there anyway to tell if the card actually works? I would expect some sort of signal straight, but it shows nothing for 8psk. I could be doing someting wrong. For example, when i am on galaxy 16 and try to tune in 4100V - 30000 I get nothing at all. However, I do pick up all the other non 8psk and non scrambled channels on that bird?

Thanks again.
Put up a pizza dish and point it at one of the DISH HD sats and see if it scans all the channels in.If it does I'm guessin it's the turbo board.

Authentic Pansat 9200 S2 boards

Do you have the coax jumper from the first tuners LNB out to the S2 tuners LNB input?
Post a picture of the supposid S2 board. It's ID will be easy.
OR you can compare what you have to the pictures of the real Pansat S2 boards. Found both of the later pansat boards, that support blind scan, pictures at google image search. Pretty sure there's also an early version that had no blind scan.

Attachments

• PansatS2_9200.jpg
    PansatS2_9200.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
Madmadworld. To answer your question: When i do a blind scan Tuner type is DVB-S (the letter are in BLUE) and its fixed. Meaning it wont allow me to change it on that screen (pressing the <l or l> does not change this value). I have been trying to manually enter the TP with the correct info (via lyngsat).
I tried that too. As soon as i change to 8psk or Qpsk and dvb-S2 the signal and quality go to zero. I am on SES1, and attempt to manually enter ku sat tranponder of 11505 V - 3650 - 3/4. But nothing. I am recieving other non 8psk/Qpsk signals just fine.

FATAIR: I will do so (provide a photo), but I wont have time until the week end. Thank you..

Last edited:
Not sure what you are trying to tune. Check your frequency. That is not valid frequency for SES1 satellite. KU-band frequencies are between 11700 and 12200 and C-band between 3700 and 4200.

Maybe 11705? If so, these are radio services, not video channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)