8x1 diseqc with universal lnbfs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chuckinnc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Western,NC
I ordered a 8x1 for my Coolsat 6k so I could hookup more than 4 dishes. I read up
on switches in the FAQ section and now a bit confused when it comes to standard
and universal ku lnbfs.
I was thinking I could hookup up to 8 lnbs to 1 receiver but now I am not sure sense some of my lnbs are universal that require a 22kc tone, does anyone know if I can use universal lnbs with a 8x1 or do they all have to be standard?

you can hook a Universal LNB to the 8x1 just fine. The only thing is you cant have a 22k switch between the receiver and switch or switch and that LNB.

receiver------8x1------LNB's

you can put a 22k switch between the 8x1 and 2 standard LNB's if you want but it cant be in line with the Universal LNB

Are you going to use a max of 8 LNB's or do you have more in line?

8x1's are not really covered in the Switch FAQ.
They were sorta new at the time, and not too well supported.

Now, I'd recommend you read the reviews on 'em in our Review Department.
As I recall, there are three on the market. The Digiwave was the preferred choice.
- the Digiwave worked as advertized
- the EMP seemed a nightmare to use
- the DMSI didn't work as advertized (discussed by Linuxman in his 6' Prodelin thread)

Then, will your receiver talk to an 8x1?
... oh, a Coolsat 6000? I think you're okay. :)

As for the comments in the Switch FAQ about using or not using Universal LNBs with two 4x1 diseqc switches and a 22khz Ecoda, . . .
. . . it only mattered if you wanted to be able to access both bands on the Universal.
If you were only using high band (22khz on), and happened to have a Universal, that can be accommodated.
I thought the FAQ addressed that situation.

The Coolsat 8000 would work with the digiwave 8x1

the emp centauri (since he is working with a receiver that is diseqc 1.1 compatible) will work fine with the Coolsat...just the settings are weird.

The digiwave 8x1 is simple....uncommitted 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
emp centauri uses committed 2 uncommitted 3 or something like that for port 7...ports 1,2,3,4 work normal but 5-8 there is a different way

Thanks for the reply, yes I did order

Sounds like the Digiwave 8x1 (I ordered) will work on my Coolsat 6K, it has committed and uncommitted selections in the LNB menu. It dosent make any sense to select uncommitted for all the LNBs but I will leave that question alone, If it works then thats all that counts, I was wanting to add more fixed dishes without worring if the switch would pass the 22 tone for my universal ku lnbs.

The Digiwave switch is uncommitted so when you do the settings in the receiver, leave committed on "1" and change uncommitted to whatever port it is.

Advantage of the digiwave is you can add 4x1 diseqc switches to it if you want. Here is my review of the switch
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/110067-digiwave-8x1-uncomitted-switch.html

Do you think this switch will work on the CNX Duo? That is the receiver I have with the latest 5.15 sw version. in the switch menu I only have 4 ports listed, however when I go to channel search I have Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, none listed.

unless the receiver says "uncommitted" or "diseqc 1.1" in the menus the digiwave switch will not work

Although the DUO will not support the 8X1, it DOES support sw21 switches, so just put four sw's in line, one out from each port, and you'll have 8 dishes controlled by your DUO.

I am the "proud" owner of two DOUs and a Coolsat 5000, so I CAN tell you this from experiance. I am playing around now with six dishes, and all are connected to the DUO.

The DUO also supports 22Hz switches, so that will be no problem for your universal LNBs.

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)