9 room Hopper Joey install. 3 hoppers 6 joeys

I ask how much all the time, and I can afford plenty more. It's one reason why I have money to burn. :D

A hole in the water into which we throw money.

And I once saw one with a dish on it.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

7/16 wrench, what about your torque wrench? I keep my TV/Telephone tool box right by my headend board area in the basement along with lotsa parts and a small step ladder ready to spring in action.
Now that might be a bit of overkill. My point is that if the board is in an out of the way place, like in the attic, it is nice to have the wrench there instead of climbing down from the attic to get the wrench if you forgot to bring one.

My setup is split into two locations, half under the eave, outside, and half in the garage. I need to pick up another 7/16 wrench for under the eave, I've climbed the ladder twice a couple of time just for that stupid wrench, but I knew exactly where it was, hanging on the board in the garage, so I didn't have to search through the tool box for the correct size.:)

PS. I don't use a torque wrench on the rg6 connectors. Just snug them up a bit.

Now that might be a bit of overkill. My point is that if the board is in an out of the way place, like in the attic, it is nice to have the wrench there instead of climbing down from the attic to get the wrench if you forgot to bring one.

My setup is split into two locations, half under the eave, outside, and half in the garage. I need to pick up another 7/16 wrench for under the eave, I've climbed the ladder twice a couple of time just for that stupid wrench, but I knew exactly where it was, hanging on the board in the garage, so I didn't have to search through the tool box for the correct size.:)

PS. I don't use a torque wrench on the rg6 connectors. Just snug them up a bit.

Sounds like you have a good system. I was just kidding you about the torque wrench. I don't use my torque wrench anymore, too much trouble. It may not be a Dish requirement anymore, use to be 30 inch pounds.

Three lines from the dish (or switch), a duo node and 1 3ghz line to each Hopper (so two of those) and a line to any Joeys. Depending how many Joeys you can run them straight from the node (there are 2 client ports) or using a splitter for more than 2. Joey lines can be rg59, but it's recommended that they be rg6 in a 2 Hopper system.

ok the more i think about it the more i find it ok about the 3 coaxes from the dish since it only appears to go to a duo node. what i'm trying to understand is how it's going to be setup. remember i've been gone for awhile now from dish and when i wired the system i had it was a dish pro setup.

so if i understand this correctly, 3 lines from lnb, they connect a duo node i can set up in the attic? from the node, one line to each hopper correct? i know i used rg6 from directv's lnb but don't remember what i used heading to each room. right now i have a line going into the garage straight from the dish where they meet with 5 coaxes going to each room and family room. at the garage i have a simple switch where two dvr's connect to. the power supply is right next to the HR34 in the family room. where would i put the power supply for dish? can it be next to one of the hoppers? maybe i should google for a diagram of all this. :/

What power supply would are you referring to? The only reason you would need a power supply is if you have a 44 switch in the installation unless you are referring to some other 3rd party device.

You won't have a power supply for dish unless you're incorporating an external switch.

thanks guys! with directv a power supply is required for the swm lnb. not needing one for dish is a plus for me.

My favorite so far was 2 hoppers, 2 hoppers w/ sling and 5 joeys running all off cat5 with all hoppers/ joeys seeing each other.

Due to my client, I wont post pics of the house but I will put up my wiring diagrams.

wiring config.jpgCat5 wiring.jpg

And after you installed all that, what did you do with the rest of your morning? ;)

And after you installed all that, what did you do with the rest of your morning? ;)

:) yea that sounds about right. Man if I could post the pictures I would lets just say his outdoor kitchen probably cost more then my house, sucks I had to tear it apart to run cables. lol.

My favorite so far was 2 hoppers, 2 hoppers w/ sling and 5 joeys running all off cat5 with all hoppers/ joeys seeing each other.

Due to my client, I wont post pics of the house but I will put up my wiring diagrams.

View attachment 88572View attachment 88573

I don't understand your pic? Why the HIC? Here is my system with no HIC. Cat5 to four Hoppers with Sling and one Joey.

HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg

Hey guys , I had a question Will Dish allow Just a hopper on an account, and maybe one joey. Or will they force a 722 on me since I prefer single room use for right now.

I see you ran cat5 to all of the hoppers. Instead of running cat5 and coax to each I just ran coax and installed the hic to bring the internet everywhere and back feed the joey signal.

Your joey is also connected via coax, non of the joeys had a coax ran to them... Just Cat5

Last edited:
What power supply would are you referring to? The only reason you would need a power supply is if you have a 44 switch in the installation unless you are referring to some other 3rd party device.

At what point do you need a switch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts