9 room Hopper Joey install. 3 hoppers 6 joeys

robardey6

Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
texarkana tx
Just spent about 5 hours setting up this system it was a custom work order thru dish. i sat around debating on how i was going to do it at first debating on 2 dish solution or switches. ended up using 2 dp44 switches ran 2 lines inside for the power inserters and all the lines for the nodes off the switches and then wired the hoppers and joeys. used a solo and duo node duo ran the main rooms of the house with 2 hoppers and 4 joeys and the solo ran the office and 2 guest rooms this was what it looked like before i got the joeys wired. anyone else done a hopper system like this?

2013-06-09_17.23.13.jpg

3Halo is no longer the Hopper king!

That pic is such a thing of beauty I just might cry.

Yep I did a 3h/5j a couple months back. Making a client to client jumper for the nodes will give true whole home viewing from all tv locations.

Exacting a pound of flesh.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just spent about 5 hours setting up this system it was a custom work order thru dish. i sat around debating on how i was going to do it at first debating on 2 dish solution or switches. ended up using 2 dp44 switches ran 2 lines inside for the power inserters and all the lines for the nodes off the switches and then wired the hoppers and joeys. used a solo and duo node duo ran the main rooms of the house with 2 hoppers and 4 joeys and the solo ran the office and 2 guest rooms this was what it looked like before i got the joeys wired. anyone else done a hopper system like this?

View attachment 88490

Did one a few months back. As satnewb said, hook the client ports of the nodes together so that all the Hoppers can see eachother. Also, in the future you may want to keep in mind that you can use a DPP33 switch for the slave off the DPP44. Cheaper and keeps you from needing two power inserters. That's what I used. Oh, and very, very nice job on the wiring!!

If you are using the EA 1000.2 twin LNB (or 1000.4 if you don't need 77), you only need 1 DPP44 because you can feed the solo node from the DPP44 plus the third LNB output.

Last edited:
So a jumper between the client side of the nodes will provide whole home?

I assume after reading this moca won't travel through the switches.

If you are using the EA 1000.2 twin LNB (or 1000.4 if you don't need 77), you only need 1 DPP44 because you can feed the solo node from the DPP44 plus the third LNB output.

You're mistaken. You need 3 sat feeds for a duo node and 2 for a solo node.

So a jumper between the client side of the nodes will provide whole home?

I assume after reading this moca won't travel through the switches.

Correct.

3Halo is no longer the Hopper king!

That pic is such a thing of beauty I just might cry.

Ha! I have 4 Hoppers! So does charlesrshell :D .

As for OP, I did my three-Hopper setup almost a year ago :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

I was pretty much the first person to figure out how to have them all communicate via MoCA (by simply tying the CLIENT ports together.) Since the Hopper w/Sling was released I upgraded a plain Hopper to HwS and bought another HwS. Simply swapped the solo node for a duo. 12 tuners mang!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Last edited:
You're mistaken. You need 3 sat feeds for a duo node and 2 for a solo node.
True, but with EA twin dish (doesn't see 77), two lines feed the DPP44 switch which leaves the third LNB output plus the fourth DPP44 output to feed the solo node's two inputs.

True, but with EA twin dish (doesn't see 77), two lines feed the DPP44 switch which leaves the third LNB output plus the fourth DPP44 output to feed the solo node's two inputs.

The DPP44 disables the internal switch on the LNB so it still wouldn't work

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I never considered this. It could work. The only issue I see is the power inserter, which isn't supposed to be on the node. But I know of a way around that using a couple diplexers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)