9 room Hopper Joey install. 3 hoppers 6 joeys

Here's my 4 Hopper setup. The extra DPP44 is for my EA dish, which hasn't been used since I got the Hoppers.

WOW, nice job n0qcu. If needed, is your EA setup operational too? Nice to have a backup system. You never know if one of them there big birds in space gets knocked out or shuts down for some reason.

Yes it is operational. I could replace my second Duo node with a pair of solo nodes and move the fourth Hopper over to the EA to have a fully working backup.

Yes it is operational. I could replace my second Duo node with a pair of solo nodes and move the fourth Hopper over to the EA to have a fully working backup.

That is nice to have. My 61.5 wing dish not being used. Need to update it someday and then have a backup too. Does EA require three or two satellites to be fully functional, HD locals too? I guess I need to check The List for my area.

Two - 61.5 & 72. Very little of broad interest on 77.

Thanks navychop. Will I be able to use this dish in the pic and change to the proper LNBs? Also, will it require one or two coax? There is only one coax going to that dish now. But, I guess I could eliminate the Sirius radio satellite antenna and use that coax if two are required. I don't know much about LNBs.

61.5-SiriusAntenna.JPG

Yes you would just have to put a y adapter back on the dish and you could use a DPP twin and yes it would require two cables.

charlesrshell said:
Claude, wouldn't my setup be less cluttered if Dish TV had a switch like Directv’s SWM16 Multi-Switch? I wish Dish had bigger switches and nodes to handle more Hoppers and Joeys without having to add additional. There are lotsa homes that have three Hoppers and some with four. With Joeys taking the place of DVR’s built in modulator for additional TVs in the home, I hope Dish in the future comes out with bigger switches, nodes, or whatever to handle the home TV distribution system. It would make the installation less cluttered and easier for the installer.

Here is what my setup looks like. Did a good job mounting the switches. Just need to clean up the feeder cables to the individual tv's, as everything was previously hooked to the DP44 Switches

The 2 SWM 16 Switches feed a 21 Tuner Directv Setup

(1) Genie
(6) HD/DVR HR24
(2) H25
(1) Tivo

Attachments

• image-1378829369.jpg
    image-1378829369.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 269
Thanks navychop. Will I be able to use this dish in the pic and change to the proper LNBs? Also, will it require one or two coax? There is only one coax going to that dish now. But, I guess I could eliminate the Sirius radio satellite antenna and use that coax if two are required. I don't know much about LNBs.

View attachment 88522

Some do use that dish for 61.5 and 72.7, an 11.2 degree separation, but it was designed for 110 & 119, a 9 degree separation. Close, but there will be a trade off. I'd suggest a 1000.4 dish and EA LNB. There are LNBs for just 61.5 & 72.7 also.

I would run 3 coax.

Here is what my setup looks like. Did a good job mounting the switches. Just need to clean up the feeder cables to the individual tv's, as everything was previously hooked to the DP44 Switches

The 2 SWM 16 Switches feed a 21 Tuner Directv Setup

(1) Genie
(6) HD/DVR HR24
(2) H25
(1) Tivo

WOW, that looks nice Claude. What are the two smaller green splitter looking things? I guess a SWM32 Multi-Switch would not work for you! Do you still have a Dish TV system too? I remember seeing your pics when you where building your new home several years ago and I had never seen so many coax cables in my life? LOL. I think it was you. Your system is more complicated than mine. If I remember, you have Installer experience too, right?

WOW, that looks nice Claude. What are the two smaller green splitter looking things? ?
Those are the swim splitters for also Whole home DVR and Cinema connection kit for Internet over coax. In my case I have 2 of them too.

This is my setup.
  • I have a Swm16 outside and one 4 way splitter outside.
  • Now from the SWM16 I have one leg to the outside splitter and one leg to the 3rd floor 4 way splitter.
  • Now From my outside Splitter I feed Living room TV, and 3rd floor Bedroom TV, That's it on that Splitter! ( so I have a power inserter slot free and one open room feed left)
  • Now upstairs at my 2nd splitter , Its full. I have my power inserter, plugged in to 4 way splitter , Master Bedroom, and 3rd Bedroom, and my Cinema connection kit.

This is a 9 tuner setup Whole Home DVR with VOD all through the house.

Now if I wanted to swap my 2 H25s for 2 HR24 I could without adding anymore connections or splitters, That would be 11 tuner setup.
Now I still have one open space on my downstairs splitter so If I want I could have a 13 tuner system without adding more splitters or switches.
This is One Swim 16, and 2- 4 way Directv splitters like listed in claudes picture.
I will say Dish has the edge on function of the receivers, But not when it comes to switches cabling and making it work, Directv has that one in the bag.

Last edited:
Some do use that dish for 61.5 and 72.7, an 11.2 degree separation, but it was designed for 110 & 119, a 9 degree separation. Close, but there will be a trade off. I'd suggest a 1000.4 dish and EA LNB. There are LNBs for just 61.5 & 72.7 also.

I would run 3 coax.

I think you have a good suggestion to use a 1000.4 dish. Does the 1000.4 with 61.5 and 72.7 LNBs still require two coax or is there some kinda built in switching or something in the LNBs that one coax would work? I am not very knowledgeable on Dishes and the LNBs.

Last edited:
Those are the swim splitters for also Whole home DVR and Cinema connection kit for Internet over coax. In my case I have 2 of them too.

This is my setup.
  • I have a Swm16 outside and one 4 way splitter outside.
  • Now from the SWM16 I have one leg to the outside splitter and one leg to the 3rd floor 4 way splitter.
  • Now From my outside Splitter I feed Living room TV, and 3rd floor Bedroom TV, That's it on that Splitter! ( so I have a power inserter slot free and one open room feed left)
  • Now upstairs at my 2nd splitter , Its full. I have my power inserter, plugged in to 4 way splitter , Master Bedroom, and 3rd Bedroom, and my Cinema connection kit.

This is a 9 tuner setup Whole Home DVR with VOD all through the house.

Now if I wanted to swap my 2 H25s for 2 HR24 I could without adding anymore connections or splitters, That would be 11 tuner setup.
Now I still have one open space on my downstairs splitter so If I want I could have a 13 tuner system without adding more splitters or switches.
This is One Swim 16, and 2- 4 way Directv splitters like listed in claudes picture.
I will say Dish has the edge on function of the receivers, But not when it comes to switches cabling and making it work, Directv has that one in the bag.

Yep, I agree with you that Directv has passed up Dish in switches and making it work. The reason I joined Dish TV in 2007 was because I thought Dish was way ahead of Directv. I was completely ignorant on satellite TV so studied up on it mostly from folks in this Forum. At the time Directv did not have one coax technology, no on screen caller ID, no modulating out to the home distribution system, no dual tuner DVRs so all TVs had to watch the same channel, and I don't think they had OTA capability yet. That sold me on Dish. I could care less who has the most HD channels, NFL ticket, little bit better price, etc. The only thing Dish lacked was a five bird satellite switch I needed at the time. They were working on one but then cancelled it. I too think Dish DVRs have the edge over Dirctv and hope someday they will catch up on the distribution side of the house with bigger switches, etc. I guess it goes back and fourth.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree with you that Directv has passed up Dish in switches and making it work. The reason I joined Dish TV in 2007 was because I thought Dish was way ahead of Directv. I was completely ignorant on satellite TV so studied up on it mostly from folks in this Forum. At the time Directv did not have one coax technology, no on screen caller ID, no modulating out to the home distribution system, no dual tuner DVRs so all TVs had to watch the same channel, and I don't think they had OTA capability yet. That sold me on Dish. I could care less who has the most HD channels, NFL ticket, little bit better price, etc. The only thing Dish lacked was a five bird satellite switch I needed at the time. They were working on one but then cancelled it. I too think Dish DVRs have the edge over Dirctv and hope someday they will catch up on the distribution side of the house with bigger switches, etc. I guess it goes back and fourth.
I'll admit, for most needs, either company will do just fine. Most important, you have an awesome setup, and really organized for what you had to work with.
Believe me, If I ever went to dish, I would need a 3 hopper setup with some joeys, I will be calling you! LOL!

WOW, that looks nice Claude. What are the two smaller green splitter looking things? I guess a SWM32 Multi-Switch would not work for you! Do you still have a Dish TV system too? I remember seeing your pics when you where building your new home several years ago and I had never seen so many coax cables in my life? LOL. I think it was you. Your system is more complicated than mine. If I remember, you have Installer experience too, right?

What your not seeing in the picture is the (2) 29 volt power inserters and (2) Cinema connection kits.

Those are (2) SWM 16 switches in the bottom of the picture

http://www.dishretailer.com/newhouse.htm is my new house pics

I think you have a good suggestion to use a 1000.4 dish. Does the 1000.4 with 61.5 and 72.7 LNBs still require two coax or is there some kinda built in switching or something in the LNBs that one coax would work? I am not very knowledgeable on Dishes and the LNBs.

With the Hopper system, and multiple Hoppers, you will need three coax from the dish. Hoppers require the use of nodes. The old ViP system had a single coax from the dish, no nodes, and used a separator at the box. Doesn't work that way with Hopper.

And you want to not only use RG-6, but RG-6 rated to 3GHz.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

With the Hopper system, and multiple Hoppers, you will need three coax from the dish. Hoppers require the use of nodes. The old ViP system had a single coax from the dish, no nodes, and used a separator at the box. Doesn't work that way with Hopper.

For 2 hoppers I would need 3 cables coming from the lnb? Not sure I like that so much.

Not necessarily. If you were using a switch and only needed 61.5/72.7 you could get away with two feeds from the fish.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

For 2 hoppers I would need 3 cables coming from the lnb? Not sure I like that so much.

Yes for most setups it's three feeds from the dish to a Duo Node for two Hoppers.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts