905 need some help or info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Long Hair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Mo
I have a 4dtv 905 and am trying to update the maps,the last message on the box was dated back in 2002.So I think I have the dish pointing at g1,but can't get a green list.So I looked at some old post and seen one from iceberg, about manually tuning in the channel.I tried that and I got a green light,checked after a few hours but did not see the new channel maps. Is it possible i'm on the wrong sat, even with the green light? Maybe on 135 west and not 133 west if so what short hand name is the sat and what channel for map update. I thought both 133,135w could update the maps. The reason i'm not sure which sat i'm on is, to move my dish I have a 12volt transformer not a dish mover or analog box.

Please, help: Long Hair

did you do a master reset?

Here is my thread on how to download the maps after a MR
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/144125-help-accidentally-reset-4dtv-905-a.html

do you have a FTA receiver too to possibly see what satellite you are on?

any premium movie mux can get the new maps but if you did a MR then G1 might be the only option

No,I did not do a master reset, should I? The link you left ice is the one i used to manually tune in the channel. I think the last time this box was in service was in 2002. On the Diagnostics A screen it says not in support mode. I assume that is because I have not Activated it. could that be a problem,I would thank not?

nah. Mine says that too (and mine isnt activated with programming)

If you think you are on G1, do this
-bring up G1 in the list of satellites
-select channel 170 through 176

if the green lite goes on, then options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C. Right corner shows ebno # (should be + if the green lite is on)

If the number looks good (above +4.5 or so) then let it sit for 15 minutes. It will load and update the channel list

nah. Mine says that too (and mine isnt activated with programming)

If you think you are on G1, do this
-bring up G1 in the list of satellites
-select channel 170 through 176

if the green lite goes on, then options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C. Right corner shows ebno # (should be + if the green lite is on)

If the number looks good (above +4.5 or so) then let it sit for 15 minutes. It will load and update the channel list

Well I tried that,but no green light. maybe I'm on AMC 10 at 135.0°W. If I tune it in manually I get green light and a reading of +6.2 ebno

not on 135 as there is no 3760 TP on there that the 4DTV can get

although.......AMC11 next door at 131W has a vertical TP at the same frequency/symbol rate as the manul tune option but polarity is off by 90 degrees (its vertical). So sounds like your skew is off

try this

AMC11 was called C3 back in the day. Bring up that satellite on the 905 and select channel 101 - 105. See if green light goes on. That is the Showtime mux that will get you the maps too

but check that skew too. What type of LNB is it?

not on 135 as there is no 3760 TP on there that the 4DTV can get

although.......AMC11 next door at 131W has a vertical TP at the same frequency/symbol rate as the manul tune option but polarity is off by 90 degrees (its vertical). So sounds like your skew is off

skew is off ? well maybe you can help I just put the lnbf on last night, it's a bsc621. I set the mark to 0 straight up, my true south is sat 95west or c4 I think.
on my 905 I set c-band and ku-band lnbf @ 90 rotated.

I have the older BSC621, does not have a skew marking, but if you pop the Feed cap off with the Dish at your South Sat. You should see a 1/4" metal rod, that should be Horizontal.

change it to not rotated then try it

the 621 skew arrow is **usually** correct that 0 skew is the top. Some LNB's the skew is off by 90 degrees

I have the older BSC621, does not have a skew marking, but if you pop the Feed cap off with the Dish at your South Sat. You should see a 1/4" metal rod, that should be Horizontal.

I'll look at it in the morning,when I have some light. I lost my green light signal after moving the dish to far west.Didn't hurt anything just had to help the motor pull the dish back. After that no more green light at all?????

I checked /reset the skew, the 1/4" metal rod Horizontal @ 95west my south sat. So I'm going to move to g1 and see if I can make something happen.

I would start with analog, G1 - Channel 5 that is the Classic Arts channel.

the problem I have with that is,I have a star trak 6 receiver,but no remote.So yesterday at wally world I seen a philips universal remote that had the codes for my star track.But I don't think it controls all the buttons.And G1 or 133west is not programmed in the box. Not sure how to program without the original remote?

905 is digital only,but I just looked at the star trak and it does have g1-5 so i'll give it a try

905 cant do analog. I've had issues with mine where the polarity is goofy in general. IN the link I posted on how to manually tune the 905 I had mine slaved to a DVB box to make sure it was on H polarity :)

LongHair...if you can get to G5 there is a premium movie mux there that you can get the maps. Thats the sat I normally use

Well I still can't get anything,Like I said when I moved my dish to far west I lost green light.So I started from scratch. 1 ? I need the elevation at 47 so do I measure from pic #2 or pic #3.I have been doing so from pic 2. pic2 gives 47 and pic 3 give about 43. my south is sat 95 @ 180 on compass.

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 186
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 199
side note . When I was getting the green light,on the status screen it was saying MS and not US Authorization?

Status
Please reply by conversation.