91W NIMIQ 6 completely active now....footprint changed

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I first noticed this last night, but T3=0 t5=0 t9=0 t11=0 t17=0 t18=0 t27=0 t28=0 I do still get 100% on a few transponders.

When Nimiq 4 went up, I was able to get signal in the 40's with a 24" dish, then was able to bring it up to mid 50's with a 36" I am afraid that Bell 91 might be a lost cause!

This does not bode well for me. I have had a Bell 5100 receiver in the People's Republic of Illinois (where our governors make our licence plates) for about 10 years now. About a 2.5 hour drive SW of Chicago. Earlier today I noticed a number of channels have been getting the dreaded Error Your Satellite signal is temporarily inavilable... message. I rarely get this since I am using a 1 meter dish aimed at 91- only the worst rain has been causing this to happen in the past. I had a smllaer dish pointed at 82 which was marginal at best.Did a check and I am now currently getting no signal on these 8 transponders: 3, 5, 9, 11, 17, 18, 27 & 28. The rest are either at 80 or 100, it used to be I ahd two groups of them one at 80 one at 100. Is this something that will be correcting itself or getting worse. I do have a 7.5 foot dish that I might be able to put a circular LNB on if that would help.

I never completed my setup for the 84E dish, I'll save that for the other thread!

Right now, in NJ, I have the ChannelMaster 84E only receiving 91. As the posts above, I am missing tp 3, 5, 9, and 11. Oddly, the 17,18,27,28 come in. On Monday morning, I had 40s on tp 27, but today it has 83 signal strength. Does anyone know if Nimiq 6 is in it's final position yet and which tp's are coming off of N6?

Nimiq 6 Impact? Error 004

From the reports here, it seems that Nimiq 6 is partially active. I am missing signal on some transponders on 91, but another new issue is occuring. On channels 508 (HLN) and 579 (BPM) so far, instead of seeing a satellite signal error, I am getting error 004 (To change channels, press up or down.... If you continue to see this message hold power on the front panel for 10 seconds). I did the 10 second front panel reset, but the error still occurs. Is this receiver related or related to the signals possibly coming off of N6? I am using a 9241 receiver.

I am getting error 004 (To change channels, press up or down.... If you continue to see this message hold power on the front panel for 10 seconds). I did the 10 second front panel reset, but the error still occurs. Is this receiver related or related to the signals possibly coming off of N6? I am using a 9241 receiver.

OK That is what happens when the receiver on a channel whose transponder is dead. Also, I did check on another forum. The transponders I have listed are indeed the ones coming from Nimiq 6. In many parts of Canada their strength has gone up from low 70's to 100. Meaning the satellite is going what it is supposed to do, giving Canada a very good signal while giving the US very bad or no signal at all. It reminds me of the first days of spot-beamed locals. It was incredible that the signal would drop off so quickly, as in 100% to 0% in 30 miles.

If anyone is getting all of the transponders listed, except for 5 and 11. The other forum says that those 2 are only readable by an HD receiver. Some say it's because they are 8PSK; some say that they are MPEG 4. I have no idea

I just find it odd/sad that I can get 82, but not the new 91 at all. I guess I will wait to see what happens after ANIK G1 launches and we find out what the true footprint of that satellite's Shaw Direct signal is. This still sucks for me because I actually use the off-air tuner a lot to record 3 shows at once. I also have 3 hard drives of recordings :(. It is my understanding that the Shaw PVR does not have off-air capability at all.

I did check yesterday morning, and I had high 40's/low 50's on some of the N6 transponders, but they were gone by noon. Maybe, they will come back, but I'm not going to get too excited.

I am in Indianapolis using a 90cm elipital dish for both 91 & 82 and I am receiving good signals on all transponders @ 90 & 82. I have not lost any channels.

I need to try repointing, but this is weird: using a new DPP LNB w/ separator at the receiver. Transponder 27 on 91 Tuner 1, says not locked. After about 5 to 10 seconds it shows signal of 84. If you toggle to Tuner 2, it "flutters" and then stays at 0. I'm hoping it's just a pointing issue. This never happened before N6. Anyone in NJ receiving the new signals successfully?

If you have signal on Tuner 1 with a separator and NO signal on Tuner 2 with the same separator, no amount of re-aiming will fix that.

It is a Tuner 2/Separator/cable/connector issue.

I thought they were suppose to have the same footprint nimiq 6 and nimiq 4? Nimiq 6 and Nimiq 4 at the moment clearly don't have the same footprint. It could be when it's all set and done they will have the same footprint or is that wishful thinking on my end?

They should have a very similar footprint when all is said and done.

I never completely lost 82 when they swapped sats. I did have my signal fall from the 80's to 40's on a 24" dish. I swapped the 24" dish for a Star Choice 75E, but I put the skew at 90 and inserted a single square LNB...that gave me about a 7 point boost.

I swapped my 24" dish that I had on 91 with a 76CM dish 2 days ago. I have incredible signal, high 80's and 90's, on all the transponders that I actually receive; the N6 transponders are all dead.

I hope that you are correct that they may return. I just doubt it since there are many across Canada saying that they are receiving N6 at 100% while the others are in the 70"s and 80's.

By the way, I am on the VA/NC border.

I'm not sure if this will help or not but prior to N6 I wasn't getting these readings on these TRS.

Being in Ottawa Canada true I will get a signakl on all the TRS.

Using a 6131 Receiver I'm getting 100% on TRS 3,5,9,11,17,18,27,28.

So I'm assuming these signals are coming from N6.

I can't comment on those in the "South" as I don't live there to compare signals from before, but in my comapresson list in the DIgatal Home Forums(not sure how to do the link) in the "N6 Launch "thread I've got N1 readings prior to Junew 19 then after June 19 and there is a different in some of the TRS mainly the 100% ones.

So it appears N6 is at least partially operating. "Word on the sat street" is by mid July N6 is 'suppose' to be fully operaqtion.

Here's a data point from the NYC area. Just tweaked dish pointing to make sure I was maxed out. 30" (76 cm) Winegard dish pointed at 91W only (single LNB), 6131 receiver.

TP3 59
TP5 0
TP9 0
TP11 55
TP17 0
TP18 0
TP27 49
TP28 49

All others are between 88 and 100. Clearly I am right on the edge here. Anyone else in the area or south of me reporting signal? I was about to attempt adding an LNB for 82, but now I want to watch this for a while.

Cheers,
Dave

I was about to attempt adding an LNB for 82, but now I want to watch this for a while.

Cheers,
Dave

The 82 sat will not be changed; it is only about 2 years old. If you have high def, I would just repoint 91 to 82.

I have decided that since Bell has a lot of HD channels on 82, which you could get with that 30" dish, I am going to stick with Bell and just deal with losing the standard def channels. I just HOPE that they do not do something odd like moving channels from 82 to 91!

So it "appears"(and someone correct me if I'm wrong here)but it appears that N6 is partially operational.
It should be noted that BTV has changed certain channels on certain TRS

IE The Horse Racing channels Odds & Live have gone from N4 on 82 to N1/N6 on 91.It also should be noted that certain subs in Canada with SD receivers have NO SIGNALS coming from a few of the TRS(don't recall the exact ones I think TRS 3,5, etc)so I'm assuming HD will be going there. Not sure if new ones switch HD channels will go there or not.

In any case just to let the "Southern Subs" know by mid July or late July at the latest N6 will be in full operational mode. This has been confirmed by Sat installers here in Canada as thats what they've been told. As to what are exactly this will have on those south of the board I guess remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I live in northern calif and have a 30 " dish and get a 60 signal and 20 quality TP's on the new 91 bird. It appears going through the TP's by using a larger dish will give a usable signal. I use direct tv LNB's and get the best performance from them. The channels I saw changed over were for northern customers like APTN and network feeds.

So it "appears"(and someone correct me if I'm wrong here)but it appears that N6 is partially operational.
It should be noted that BTV has changed certain channels on certain TRS

IE The Horse Racing channels Odds & Live have gone from N4 on 82 to N1/N6 on 91.It also should be noted that certain subs in Canada with SD receivers have NO SIGNALS coming from a few of the TRS(don't recall the exact ones I think TRS 3,5, etc)so I'm assuming HD will be going there. Not sure if new ones switch HD channels will go there or not.

In any case just to let the "Southern Subs" know by mid July or late July at the latest N6 will be in full operational mode. This has been confirmed by Sat installers here in Canada as thats what they've been told. As to what are exactly this will have on those south of the board I guess remains to be seen.

Question so is 91 N6 still using the same TP's? Can someone list the TP's that are now active on the NIMIQ6 satellite? Thanks
Yes, I just checked and it's the same

I found this footprint map http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=0&lng=0&zoom=1&beam=7124&type=normal&name=Temporary Their NIMIQ 4 amp is incorrect because the signal goes out further than listed. My guess would be that the n6 footprint does not go as far into the US as listed.

This might be a stupid question.....Lyngsat has N6 listed as 91.1, so after N1 and N2 float away, and N6 goes to the 91 position, will the footprint change a little? I remember when they had the borrowed DTV satellite at 82,N4Ir, when pointing , you had to make sure that you were using a N2 transponder, because you would get a much weaker signal, if you were to aim and peak for the N4Ir. So , maybe there's hop...just wishful thinking!

Last edited:
This might be a stupid question.....Lyngsat has N6 listed as 91.1, so after N1 and N2 float away, and N6 goes to the 91 position, will the footprint change a little?
no. Nimiq1 is actually at 91.1 too which when dealing with 22000 miles away is very minimal change if any ;)

Yeah, but I remember, I haven't checked in years, that the sat at 119 for DTV was far enough apart from the Dish sat at 119, that there was about a 15 point difference, if you were to point at the Dish 119 and connected a DTV receiver. I was just hoping that, since I am pointed at N1, I assume, that the N signal might change.

My next question is, which transponders are coming from N2? My guess would be the weaker transponders are coming from N2, but I might be wrong. So, if I re pointed the dish to a. transponder from N1, which is where N6 is, could I possibly see a difference? Again, wishful thinking in a possible hopeless situation.,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts