91W NIMIQ 6 completely active now....footprint changed

Is Bell 91 viewable anymore from NYC, western Long Island (start of Nassau County border)? I needed to upgrade the 82 satellite to a 76cm dish and reception is good. Will a 76cm dish work in bringing back 91 to the NYC/western Long island area? Any reports from people there? Thanks

I live 100 miles south of NYC, 39 lat 75 long with oval dish no trace of 91. I tried a bigger dish and was able to pick 91 up but
with a weak signal. I found a used 1.8 dish and set it up and now I am able to pick up 91 with a decent S 84 Q 87 on most
channels. The only problem I have is that there are a couple of channels and TPs that have a lower S and Q that are in the
low 50s. Cloudly days seem to make it a little weaker also. Over all I am glad I found the bigger dish and gave it a try.
I really missed 91 but now I am glad to have it back. edlkll

Is Bell 91 viewable anymore from NYC, western Long Island (start of Nassau County border)? I needed to upgrade the 82 satellite to a 76cm dish and reception is good. Will a 76cm dish work in bringing back 91 to the NYC/western Long island area? Any reports from people there? Thanks

Yes, definitely! I just re-pointed my dish today after Sandy knocked me out of alignment, and was pleased to see that 91 is up 15-20 points on EACH TP from July levels. I have a 76cm dish in Brooklyn with a modified Y-bracket for two LNBs. 91 ranges from 68-86%, 82 is lower from 62-74%.
Let me know if you need any more info.
Dave

@edlkll just curious, what did you miss about 91? I'm currently hooked into 82, but not 91 and am curious what I would be missing other than SD versions of my HD channels.

@edlkll just curious, what did you miss about 91? I'm currently hooked into 82, but not 91 and am curious what I would be missing other than SD versions of my HD channels.

BPM TV CH 579 is SD only on 91 degrees West. (I can't live without it! :)) Also quite a few other of their specialty channel packages are still SD only. If you only have a basic package though you might not be missing much. Best to check Bell's web site to make sure you get all the channels that interest you.
Two weeks ago I finally upgraded my 18" x 23" Dish 500 type dish to two Winegard 30 inch (76CM) dishes with a DP33 switch. I've gone from 50-60% signal in Chicago to 87-93% signal depending on the transponder.

Well I am trying to figure out how to get my signal back...

I have a 1.2m pointed at 82. Seems to work OK at my location (38.9, -104.8). Obviously when Nimiq6 launched, 91 was lost. But signals can't be lost, just weakened right? So I am looking at the minimum sized dish needed to pick up enough of the fringe signal and reflections to lock onto channels. Reading this thread it appears that a 2m dish at unknown location does not work for 91. I am looking at perhaps a 4m or larger dish. Or perhaps a multiple reflector dish, observatory style!

It is hard to get estimates from reading these posts of just binary "it works" and "it doesn't work" at relative locations. But looking at the signal map, it might be darn near impossible without some spectacular array.

I am curious to hear of anyone receiving the signal near the "edge" of reception. What sort of dropoff does the shield have? Hopefully we can gather some numbers for the amount of transmission that reflects out of the shielding or bounces back versus the targeted signals. This should give some power/distance we might be able to extrapolate.

Is there a reason in the encoding that makes a large enough dish incapable of reception? Is there a spec for the maximum amount of phase delay/distortion to get a lock? If it is amplifying signals from multiple sources and bounces/reflections, it is possible the data can't be encoded even with a "signal" received.

Hi Dave-CanuckinNY. Thanks for your info. Good to know. Very weird, though. I've just noticed that my signal strength on 91 is in the 50s and 60s again and I havent changed anything! My oriiginal 18 incher for 91 is producing signal strength again after having gone to zero after the new satellite launch. BUT, I've lost all my signal strength from 82! It's as if there's been a signal strength/satellite swap. How could my 76cm dish for 82 now be giving me no signal, and the 18 inch dish from 91 suddenly produce signal? Did Sandy create some magical realignment? Very confused. If anyone has ideas I'd appreciate it. A check switch shows signal now only at 91, as well.

Last edited:
Here in Lancaster, PA it seemed to me that 91 has increased as well. Back in July I lost all signal, but now recently when I needed to initialize my new receiver, I was able to get 40-50% signal on 91 with my 30" Winegard. Regarding 82, I'm still getting 75-80% on all transponders, so I don't think there's been much change there; perhaps Sandy caused a magic realignment of your dish. :)

Live about 100 miles south of the fringe area. Nothing with my eliptical dish I used to get 91 with. Tried a 1.2 meter dish and got a 50-60 signal I was still
missing a few tps. I found a 1.8 used dish and have a great signal now its in the high 80s on most channels. There are still some channels and tps that are
in the 60s. But overal a bigger dish did the trick for me. Live on the east coast of the USA 100 miles south of NYC. edlkll

Another poor expressvu customer came over yesterday for some help setting up his sat couldn,t get his dish lined up I gave him the news and he walked away very very shocked.(ApacheJunction AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)