91W NIMIQ 6 completely active now....footprint changed

Hi apkehler; I am in NE Phila. the 30" I have been using on the 82 sat. I tried it just briefly-I could get maybe 8 or 9 tr's out of the 32...I want to try it again when I'm not so rushed...but I am surprised in Lancaster (40 or 50 miles west of me?) that a 1m dish is not better than you report? Years ago when I subscribed to USCI they supplied a 1.2 dish (General Instrument) and analog rcvr. I wish I could get hold of that dish now...I'll post the result when I get more time.

Wow. That is surprising that you would get signal in NE Philly. I'm taking the word of my satellite installer who is the one that initially set me up to get the Bell signal. He was very knowledgeable when he did my initial install, so I have no reason to doubt him. Waiting on my HD receiver now.

In Ontario for the while... Called Shaw Direct and got a great deal on service including a PVR-HD. It will be shipped to the house by Wednesday. Shaw has no problem with me carrying my system to the US. Will now cancel all Bell Tele accounts.

Still don't understand how Bell thinks. They are losing $$$ for a better signal to the artic circle. I was paying them > $65/mo, primarily for the French language programming. I'm sure that Shaw will appreciate my money.

I would recommend that anyone who wants Canadian satellite, in the US, to check into Shaw.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with DaveFormula. Had Starchoice (what is was called back then) and loved it. I had a broker that started with F and ended with Y but they would not pay the bill on regular occasions and I would either get nag messages or the service cut-off. I bailed before they went out of business so I did not get screwed like some people did. May sign up with Shaw at some point..

Still don't understand how Bell thinks. They are losing $$$ for a better signal to the artic circle. I was paying them > $65/mo, primarily for the French language programming. I'm sure that Shaw will appreciate my money.

Remember who Bell buys their receivers from? I'm sure that had part to do with it ;)

Shaw will gladly take your money...And you can even call from the states (they dont care)

Agree 100% with DaveFormula. Had Starchoice (what is was called back then) and loved it. I had a broker that started with F and ended with Y but they would not pay the bill on regular occasions and I would either get nag messages or the service cut-off. I bailed before they went out of business so I did not get screwed like some people did. May sign up with Shaw at some point..

the difference between freeway and other brokers is the "good" brokers give the provider your credit card number and every month you are billed directly. When I had Shaw/StarChoice my credit card bill said "Starchoice Calgary, AB" and the Canadian $$ and below it the US converted
Freeway basically did what we would call Account stacking. Get 5-10 receivers on an account with the provider and they billed you for the charges (while they only paid $5 for those extra receivers) and then got around to paying Bell. So even though you sent them say the $50 monthly bill, they sat on it and finally paid (while making a $45 profit on that because they only paid $5)

Last night at about 21h15 a storm came through Mississauga, Ontario. I didn't look at weather radar, so I don't know how thick the cloud layer was, but... All TPs on the new Nimiq 6 @ 91w were lost . All TPs on Nimiq 4 @ 82w were lost as well. I had checked the signals the day before and as other posters have stated up here in Canada all TPs on 91w were at 100. On Nimiq 4 @ 82w signals were around 80 to 90. This is on a standard issue dual LNB Dish-500 looking dish.

I was surprised that even with signals at 100 with the new satellite that all signal was lost and that there was not enough fade margin. BTW, this was not a major storm as there was little rain fall.

Just another good reason to go with Shawdirect :0)
:)

Last night at about 21h15 a storm came through Mississauga, Ontario. I didn't look at weather radar, so I don't know how thick the cloud layer was, but... All TPs on the new Nimiq 6 @ 91w were lost . All TPs on Nimiq 4 @ 82w were lost as well. I had checked the signals the day before and as other posters have stated up here in Canada all TPs on 91w were at 100. On Nimiq 4 @ 82w signals were around 80 to 90. This is on a standard issue dual LNB Dish-500 looking dish.

I was surprised that even with signals at 100 with the new satellite that all signal was lost and that there was not enough fade margin. BTW, this was not a major storm as there was little rain fall.

dark cloud cover will kill a signal quicker than a rainfall
and 100% signal doesn't mean much when dealing with rain fade. Larger dishes will help keep the signal a little longer

dark cloud cover will kill a signal quicker than a rainfall
and 100% signal doesn't mean much when dealing with rain fade. Larger dishes will help keep the signal a little longer

Agreed on both points. I just find it ironic that even with the new footprint that rain fade is still an issue with the standard dish size.

Bell TV only have ONE up-link station, based in Toronto, so if there is a storm between that location and the birds, the signals can and will be lost for the entire country.

To fix that, Bell could use a second u-link station but that would cost money.....

Bell TV only have ONE up-link station, based in Toronto, so if there is a storm between that location and the birds, the signals can and will be lost for the entire country.

To fix that, Bell could use a second u-link station but that would cost money.....

When a company makes decisions that makes them lose paying customers, hence money, I don't see them spending any money. My Shaw system arrived yesterday, a day sooner than promised. It will be good to, as Romney puts it, "fire" bell.

looks like your on the fringe for 91 so a bigger dish **might** help (not saying it will)...unless someone can vouch from that area

Do you get anything on 82?

Just got back to North Carolina last night and noticed that I have no TPs on Nimiq 4, 82W. It could be that there was heavy cloud cover (I don't think so), the dish has moved or something else is wrong. Has anyone else noticed a problem with 82W? Not really a big deal as I won't be using Bell Tele any more.

BTW, looking forward to setting up my new Shaw Direct system :)

Hi all; OK I just set the 30" (76cm) winegard dish to the 91 deg sat. I am at 40.08 n and 75.01 w clear sky today...tr's 1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18,21,22,25,26,29 and 30 are all Zero. 3 =61%,4 =58,7=56,8=57,11=53,12=57,15=54,16=54,19=53,20=55,23=52,24=53,27=50,28=52,31=46,32=50...so the only alternative for me is a 36". Originally when they launched the new nimiq at 82 deg. the 24" dish was similar in that many of the trs were gone and then that 30" worked good...so we shall seewhat happens-I hope this info helps...

Hi all; OK I just set the 30" (76cm) winegard dish to the 91 deg sat. I am at 40.08 n and 75.01 w clear sky today...tr's 1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18,21,22,25,26,29 and 30 are all Zero. 3 =61%,4 =58,7=56,8=57,11=53,12=57,15=54,16=54,19=53,20=55,23=52,24=53,27=50,28=52,31=46,32=50...so the only alternative for me is a 36". Originally when they launched the new nimiq at 82 deg. the 24" dish was similar in that many of the trs were gone and then that 30" worked good...so we shall seewhat happens-I hope this info helps...

Just curious, have the signals on 82W changed for you?

BTW, I received a letter from Bell that my 6100 HD box will not work after some date in. August 2012. They want to give me a new receiver. No thanks I've gone to Shaw Direct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)