91W NIMIQ 6 completely active now....footprint changed

Hi,,I have a 3o inch/76cm dish set-up for Bell's 82 degree satellite on my roof near JFK airport just across the Nassau County border in Long Island, NY. My signal strength is quite good on all transponders,,from a minimum of 66 to a max of 79 with the majority in the mid 70s. I obviously need to enlarge my 91 degree dish, as well, now. Is the 91 degree footprint exactly the same as 82's? Do reports show it to be tighter northward than 82's-- worse signal for my location-- or should I expect the same signal strength on 91 as 82, or even better, perhaps, with a 30 inch/76 cm dish? Thanks for info.

Indications it's tighter that 82 so you maybe on the fringe, enough signal for a lock but not much fade margin. Good luck though!!

I noticed that some recuring credit card payments were still being debited from my credit card after i got a new number, so im guessing that Bell will also be able to deduct for services that i can no longer receive. Does anyone have a contact number for them so i can call and cancel? Does it also matter that i dont know the account number?

Thanks

What I find interesting is that the published 82 footprint doesn't reach as far into Montana as that for 91, but I get signal from 82 in northern Colorado and I don't get a whiff of 91.

I also kinda hoped they'd have a glimmer of signal for Echostar in suburban Denver, so those guys could work on the Bell firmware.

What I find interesting is that the published 82 footprint doesn't reach as far into Montana as that for 91, but I get signal from 82 in northern Colorado and I don't get a whiff of 91.

I'm located 17 miles north of downtown Spokane, WA. With an 18" dish, my levels on 91 range from 67 to 81, on average about 5 points lower than from the old satellite. On 82, they run from 75 to 86.

82 reaches all the way to the Colorado Border
attachment.php

Echostar makes the hardware, and I believe they also develop and maintain the software in the Bell units. It seems harder to do if they can't pick up 91 at all.

Echostar makes the hardware, and I believe they also develop and maintain the software in the Bell units. It seems harder to do if they can't pick up 91 at all.

OK... I figured that that is what you were talking about. A good incentive to tilt the beam a little further south, don't you think?

Hey guys. New to the forum- but I have been reading it for years. If you are outside of the of the Nimiq 91 and 82 footprint and don't want to go the Star Choice/Shaw Direct route, there is one more alternative- SLINGBOX!

I have been a Bell Expressvu subscriber for 13 years now. Back in 2008 I moved from upstate NY to the Washington DC metro. That was around the time Nimiq 82 was replaced and I lost all HD. So I survived on Nimiq 91 until I heard Bell was going to replace that satellite and change its footprint as well.

I looked at Star Choice/Shaw Direct and discovered their programming offerings were inferior compared to Bell, - no BPM TV, RadX HD, Equator HD or Hifi HD. Around that time I heard about the invention known as the slingbox. It allows people to view their cable, satellite tv on a computer or another tv anywhere in the world as long as they have high speed Internet.

This past January I moved my satellite system to a relative's house (the alpha site) within the Nimiq satellites' footprint and hooked a slingbox to it. I am now able to view my satellite programming on my computers at my house (the beta site) via the Internet or on tv at my house via a slingcatcher.

It is more expensive than just dumping my equipment and going to Star Choice. But I get to watch my Bell Expressvu programming despite the satellite footprint redesign. Picture quality will vary depending on network congestion in your neighborhood- so I would recommend a cable modem versus DSL for high speed Internet. But despite a longer pause when changing channels. it works well.

Hey guys. New to the forum- but I have been reading it for years. If you are outside of the of the Nimiq 91 and 82 footprint and don't want to go the Star Choice/Shaw Direct route, there is one more alternative- SLINGBOX!

I have been a Bell Expressvu subscriber for 13 years now. Back in 2008 I moved from upstate NY to the Washington DC metro. That was around the time Nimiq 82 was replaced and I lost all HD. So I survived on Nimiq 91 until I heard Bell was going to replace that satellite and change its footprint as well.

I looked at Star Choice/Shaw Direct and discovered their programming offerings were inferior compared to Bell, - no BPM TV, RadX HD, Equator HD or Hifi HD. Around that time I heard about the invention known as the slingbox. It allows people to view their cable, satellite tv on a computer or another tv anywhere in the world as long as they have high speed Internet.

This past January I moved my satellite system to a relative's house (the alpha site) within the Nimiq satellites' footprint and hooked a slingbox to it. I am now able to view my satellite programming on my computers at my house (the beta site) via the Internet or on tv at my house via a slingcatcher.

It is more expensive than just dumping my equipment and going to Star Choice. But I get to watch my Bell Expressvu programming despite the satellite footprint redesign. Picture quality will vary depending on network congestion in your neighborhood- so I would recommend a cable modem versus DSL for high speed Internet. But despite a longer pause when changing channels. it works well.

Good idea!!. Since Slingbox can change channels on the receiver, it's like being there.

So this would only work for people who live in Canada and still have their receivers activated and running at home? Do you think Bell will target this once they get wind of it?
I am guessing that folks living down south permanently would still need to go with Shawdirect?

As for programming, I've never even heard of those channels so certainly would not miss them. Bell's programming has always been more expensive the Shaw. Shaw has a basic lite package with about 100 channels for those who just want Canadian news etc for $28 mth.
By next year Shaw will have the most HD channels in Canada when their new satellite goes up, so I think Bell won't look so pretty then :)

By next year Shaw will have the most HD channels in Canada when their new satellite goes up, so I think Bell won't look so pretty then :)
The new Shaw sat might not reach into the US, so if they do have the most HD in canada, you might not receive them. I just hate losing TCM HD, TV5 HD, Bravo HD, CTV West HD, Global West HD, Tele-Quebec HD, Much HD, ABC spark HD, CTV Halifax HD (they show 10:00 shows at 7:00) and Mpix HD.
After the MPEG4 switch, I wonder if Bell will increase the HD and still be ahead of Shaw. I do not trust Shaw becuase I bought the 530 right after it came out and was promised upgrades such as dual recording, which never happened. I was shocked after I had read here that the picture was much better, that it actually seemed worse on the standard def.

Yes I know what you mean, I watch everything I can in the HD but there are times I have to watch an SD channel. Which is still pretty good picture on the 630.
I rather doubt it as Shaw already has the Mpeg4 up and running on the New 600 line of receivers as well as VOD, plus eventually they will have the 3rd sat up. I haven't heard of any plans by Bell to add another, but ya never know. This industry changes pretty fast at times too.
I know the 530 was promised to do a lot of things that never happened because the chipset they use just wasn't good enough to handle the extra features.But dual tuning was never one of them that I have ever heard. It never had that capability from day one. Record one and watch another is it. I know the techs and a few others tested the 530 for these new features but it made the box very unstable which is why they decided to scrap any more testing and work on a new line of boxes which I must say beat the crap out of any of their older ones :)
As for your picture, the 505 & 530 were very finicky depending on the TV's they hooked to. A few did look good on the DVI to Hdmi, but the best way usually was using the component cables which gave a much better pic than the DVI for some reason..go figure..

Oh well time will tell....
The new Shaw sat might not reach into the US, so if they do have the most HD in canada, you might not receive them. I just hate losing TCM HD, TV5 HD, Bravo HD, CTV West HD, Global West HD, Tele-Quebec HD, Much HD, ABC spark HD, CTV Halifax HD (they show 10:00 shows at 7:00) and Mpix HD.
After the MPEG4 switch, I wonder if Bell will increase the HD and still be ahead of Shaw. I do not trust Shaw becuase I bought the 530 right after it came out and was promised upgrades such as dual recording, which never happened. I was shocked after I had read here that the picture was much better, that it actually seemed worse on the standard def.

I haven't heard of any plans by Bell to add another, but ya never know.

Bell has that opportunity and passed. Rumour was 72.5 was for Bell to use a Dish1000 setup (72.5/82/91) but they passed. And Dish ended up subleasing all 32 TP's.
Really nowhere else for Bell to use 3 satellites with one setup...maybe they could try a 4.5 degree away like Dish does with 72.5/77 and go with say 95.5 or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts