920 - Dead or not so dead or not really sure?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
The new battery arrived today for my 920. Took it apart and checked the two new solder spots for voltage and the meter showed 0.00 votls. ???? So I checked the battery contacts directly. 0.00 volts. So I guess I have a brick that works, or does it? I was only using the 920 to move the dish and change polarity. So I thought it was working. I thought when/if the battery went low voltage the 920 would do nothing - dead.
So this brings up a question. I left the dish at the West limit and had all the numbers written down so I would be OK to reset everything if the satellites were gone. At power up, they were. Now the question, even though this thing is not any good for digital, will having that new battery in place keep my satellite list when the power goes out???

RT.

Last edited:
Okay, Does it get any stations that are DC2? Does it get in the clear analog? Plug your meter in the wall outlet or known good battery and see if it is working, I seldom see a meter read 0.00 on a battery.

Okay, Does it get any stations that are DC2? Does it get in the clear analog? Plug your meter in the wall outlet or known good battery and see if it is working, I seldom see a meter read 0.00 on a battery.
Yes, it picks up the few clear analog channels. I did not state in my post that when I found the battery contacts read 0.00, I checked the new battery to be sure the meter was working. Got 3.67 volts on the new.

I've seen 0.00v on a 920's battery not a good thing :(
Kind of looks like the "special" info in that "special" chip is long gone. . . .
Oh, well. . . .Does bring up my question on will the new battery hold the sats I have in the unit when the power goes out for a few hours?

RT.

You need to replace the battery then program the 21 birds that are now only left in the receiver. It will hold that. If you use MM you can add many more satellites. I was doing some testing work with map master 30 minutes ago. Did a MR on a 920 showed 21 birds. I took that virgin bin loaded a set of maps to it then loaded it in the IRD, 77 satellites now in it. This 920 is a brick like yours is had a 0.0v battery in it. I swapped the batt. It will hold those 77 satellites till the batt goes dead or I decide to reprogram flash again.

I feel your pain about the battery dieing. GI & Motorola in there great wisdom had to design that stupid battery circuit. They probably figured all the receivers would be dead by now. Every one we save we laugh at them. :)

Last edited:
You need to replace the battery then program the 21 birds that are now only left in the receiver. It will hold that. If you use MM you can add many more satellites. I was doing some testing work with map master 30 minutes ago. Did a MR on a 920 showed 21 birds. I took that virgin bin loaded a set of maps to it then loaded it in the IRD, 77 satellites now in it. This 920 is a brick like yours is had a 0.0v battery in it. I swapped the batt. It will hold those 77 satellites till the batt goes dead or I decide to reprogram flash again.

I feel your pain about the battery dieing. GI & Motorola in there great wisdom had to design that stupid battery circuit. They probably figured all the receivers would be dead by now. Every one we save we laugh at them. :)
I did the battery change with the thought it would hold what I setup back into it. Good to read it will do the job. Yes, when powered back up it had 21 sats in "memory." It is not too sad since all I was using the 920 for was to move the dish/change polarity for FTA. I, left the dish at the West limit and had all the info, positions, skew, etc. written down so putting it all back has not been that big a problem. MM WILL be interesting when released. Thanks.

RT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)