920 With High Channel Count??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
I printed out the Skyvision alternate fix and was reading over it last night when I noticed they said something about if my channel count was over 4800 my memory might be full?? My channel count is at 4880 so I checked my TDT count and it's only 1714?? :confused:

So before I go attempting this alternate conversion to X4 is there something I need to do about the channel count thingie or is this a non issue??:confused:

Read over at satforums that it is an issue, and counts over 4800 are causing guys to have to do a master reset to get there receivers working good.

My 920 has a different channel count each time depending on which satellite I go to. Anywhere between 4610 up to 5080! :eek:

So if the generics will be gone then there ain't gonna be no MR at my house and if there's a chance they will be lost then I ain't gonna even try. I've lived the last 3 months with NO sub and found that life goes on without one. ;-)

Some receivers take the update with over 4800 channels some don't. If it don't take the hits you just give up and loose nothing except subs. Thank NPS and Charlie that now we have to bust our humps and make 4Play work just to get the maps back that GI/Motorola should have loaded from the factory. If I have it my way I will get the last laugh :D

I got a 410 to sub and my 920 will stay the way it is. Like lonegunman I'm not losing the maps. This box has not needed a MR since the first one back when I set it up years ago so I don’t forsee it needing one anytime soon. :)

I never did a MR on my 922, its stock since 2006. It took the conversion with no problem. Sooner or later all 4D's will need a MR . I know of one person that his 4D did a MR all by itself. Once the memory gets corrupted inside it can crash big time like a computer and it can be wiped out. This is why there is an importance in getting 4Play to work. I have seen some interesting data in the 4D through memory dumps already. It's really cool to dissect this thing :)

Some receivers take the update with over 4800 channels some don't. If it don't take the hits you just give up and loose nothing except subs. Thank NPS and Charlie that now we have to bust our humps and make 4Play work just to get the maps back that GI/Motorola should have loaded from the factory. If I have it my way I will get the last laugh :D

We should have worked more aggressively on 4play before Motorola shut down. That way, we could've restored the maps after an MR if we messed up with our experimentation of 4play. Oh well, hind sight is .......

We have receivers with the channel maps in them that we will extract fully eventually. The problem is Motorola changed the channel maps after 4Play was written therefore rendering 4Play useless. We have some wild idea's its just a matter of making it happen and having the equipment and finances to do all that is needed. All that are involved are volunteering their time & efforts. We don't have a government grant for R&D so part of the problem is financing. To really dig into this we need some sophisticated equipment and unless someone can volunteer that has those things it will make things that much harder and will cause the project to take much longer. Requests of what we need are here: 4Play The Next Generation Anyone that can help let us know.

I got a 410 to sub and my 920 will stay the way it is. Like lonegunman I'm not losing the maps. This box has not needed a MR since the first one back when I set it up years ago so I don’t forsee it needing one anytime soon. :)

There has been only 1 (one) MR on my 920 since I bought it new and that was a couple of years ago to get the W5 tile when my TDT count was at 1920, which I apparently can thank A1/2 for? It's at 1714 now so I don't see that being a problem any time soon as I don't have any of the A tiles programmed in. And even if it was at 1920, at this point I wouldn't be any worse off than I am now.

FTA and OTA are doing fine at my house so I'll stick with those and whatever the 920 offers up through generics will just be a plus. ;-)

So if the generics will be gone then there ain't gonna be no MR at my house and if there's a chance they will be lost then I ain't gonna even try. I've lived the last 3 months with NO sub and found that life goes on without one. ;-)

start at square one. do you have the x4 tile ? the issues are more with mapping x4 then switching emm providers. if you have x4, are your dmx channels in the 800's or 900's ?

crackt out,.

Lone Gunman said:
There has been only 1 (one) MR on my 920 since I bought it new and that was a couple of years ago to get the W5 tile when my TDT count was at 1920, which I apparently can thank A1/2 for? It's at 1714 now so I don't see that being a problem any time soon as I don't have any of the A tiles programmed in. And even if it was at 1920, at this point I wouldn't be any worse off than I am now.

FTA and OTA are doing fine at my house so I'll stick with those and whatever the 920 offers up through generics will just be a plus. ;-)

That's what mine is too, 1714.

start at square one. do you have the x4 tile ? the issues are more with mapping x4 then switching emm providers. if you have x4, are your dmx channels in the 800's or 900's ?

crackt out,.

crackt I got X4 that was mapped back the first part of December and the coax was disconnected until just a week or so ago. I got X4-216 with a DC lock and audio up at 900 and above. Also got the color bars on W5-603 and DC lock.

What cause the TDT to increase as a reference was made in the quoted post to A tiles? Does it increase depending to which tiles you have selected?

Thanks,

Candid

What cause the TDT to increase as a reference was made in the quoted post to A tiles? Does it increase depending to which tiles you have selected?

Thanks,

Candid

When I couldn't get W5 a couple of years back I was told that the 1920 max memory thingie was due to the fact that I had either the A or E tiles programmed (think it was the As) and that those sats would max the memory on the 4D units. Since then I've stayed away from anything associated with Canadian TV. Maybe someone can elaborate on this but until I get some "real" confirmation that this won't happen again then I'm not going to setup any A tiles especially since I can' t speak French!

But in reality I guess much of this is moot point as I'm going to order another Vbox X and DMX 741 from Leomall and just convert my 10ft Winegard to LNBF to see how it does with my new AZ Ultra. The 920 in question will go on the shelf until someone comes up with a true "fix" for all the woes that have been posted about high post counts, etc. I've got a 12ft Conifer and a 6ft Janiel Jr that I plan to mount this spring so the 920 "might" get connected to one of those.

Lone Gunman out!

When I couldn't get W5 a couple of years back I was told that the 1920 max memory thingie was due to the fact that I had either the A or E tiles programmed (think it was the As) and that those sats would max the memory on the 4D units. Since then I've stayed away from anything associated with Canadian TV. Maybe someone can elaborate on this but until I get some "real" confirmation that this won't happen again then I'm not going to setup any A tiles especially since I can' t speak French!

But in reality I guess much of this is moot point as I'm going to order another Vbox X and DMX 741 from Leomall and just convert my 10ft Winegard to LNBF to see how it does with my new AZ Ultra. The 920 in question will go on the shelf until someone comes up with a true "fix" for all the woes that have been posted about high post counts, etc. I've got a 12ft Conifer and a 6ft Janiel Jr that I plan to mount this spring so the 920 "might" get connected to one of those.

Lone Gunman out!

you have the correct map. there would be no issues with converting to the new emm provider except you would lose two channels on gb. not sure what issues you were referring to other than the mapping issue that you dont have.

as for tdt overflow.... do not attempt to tune any ku near 107 or 111 and you will be alright(most canadian tv is not french by the way). the one thing most people dont quite understand about the 4dtv recievers is that you dont need to have the corresponding tile programmed to tune a sat. if another map has the same frequency and sr info it will lock the dc signal as it goes by another sat when the dish is moving. so as an example... when moving from 58w to 135w you may lock a few signals on sats along the arc in between as the dish travels. so when you swing past the anik (shaw direct formerly starchoice) birds you may download some of their maps and overflow your recievers memory because they use the same dc2 technology.

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)