921 using DVI/HDMI with Mitsubishi 52725

PAUL_JK

Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
Maryland
I'm using a new 921 with my Mitsubishi 52725 TV. I had been using the component video cables, but I finally sprung for the DVI to HDMI (the Mits has HDMI) cable. I have noticed that, on the TV HDMI input, I need to turn the contrast to max and back way off the brightness to get the same picture as the 921 component output. I don't know if it's the receiver or the TV. Anyone else notice this using the DVI output?

I also noticed that I can run both the component and DVI outputs at the same time. I thought that use of the DVI output disabled the component video outputs on the 921. Is it because I'm using the DVI to HDMI cable?

One more question. Since I am using the DVI to HDMI cable I have to route sound to the TV using stereo L/R cables. According to the 921 manual, if I have LINE mode selected in audio preferences, I should be able to get Dolby Digital through those cables. Is this correct? I was also planning on routing the optical output on the 921 to my A/V reciever using a optical-to-coax adapter (don't have any open optical inputs) to get surround sound. Does this sound reasonable? OK that's 2 questions.

TIA

First Q: L/R phono cables can not deliver Dolby Digital. DD must come from the TosLink connector.

You can use an optical-coax converter to accomplish what you want.

Dolby Digital

Thanks. That's what I thought. I can use the optical, but I have to get an optical to digital coax converter. I don't have any optical inputs left on my A/V receiver -only digital coax.

Do you know if anyone has reported any differences in the contrast of the output using the DVI? I suspect it's my TV, but I don't have another DVI/HDMI source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)