a cry for help in the twincites

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right now we're in the middle of getting a pole in the ground - and it looks like it could rain all day. Any tips on making sure our plan to surround the pole with ready-mix concrete isn't a bust are welcome :)

When I put my poles in the ground, I poured in the powder cement and then filled the hole with water. I also poured powder cement into the pipe and then filled that with water. I attached some string/rope to the pipe and the other end to cement blocks. I leveled/plumed the pipe and let it sit. No problems and still plum/level 2 years later (after HEAVY frost and lots of rain over the winters).

Last edited:
. I hope your back gets better very soon, I know how painful that is.
thanks. Have had a bad back for years but usually can work through it. This sucks right now as I can't do much FTA wise except run a wire or hook up a switch

Also thank you for the great job you do on this forum.

thanks for the kind words :)

random thoughts

Right now we're in the middle of getting a pole in the ground - and it looks like it could rain all day. Any tips on making sure our plan to surround the pole with ready-mix concrete isn't a bust are welcome :)
I mix in a 5 gallon bucket.
The water over dry mix may work, but I followed the instructions. :rolleyes:

And drill some holes in your pipe and insert anti-rotation devices (I used some large bolts).
Some have recommended pounding the end of the pipe flat, for the same purpose.
Up to you.
That gives the pole some bite into the cement.

Web sites that give good info on setting a pole in cement go into detail about having rocks at the bottom of the hole for proper drainage, and painting or taring the pole to prevent rust.
Doesn't sound like you're interested in getting that serious.
I might for a BUD, but not for a Ku dish.

If you are using a thin-walled fence post, don't make it too tall, and use the largest diameter that the motor will fit.
Should you decide to fill it with cement, pick up a piece of rebar (size of your little finger) .
Use it to tamp down the cement in the pole (breaks up air bubbles) and leave it in place when you are done.

I used bags of cement that is made for post. It states in the directions that you could pour the powder into the hole then add water. Makes it real quick and easy :) I did put a u bolt towards the bottom of the pipe.

more rebar

Most of the comments I made above have been posted on this site before. - :cool:
It's a good resource for such info.

As to the rebar, I just lunched with a buddy and he told me a bit about it.
Apparently the size number is like a fraction , so . . .
#1 would be 1"
#2 would be 1/2"
#4 would be 1/4"
and so on.
I'm sure 1/4" would be more than sufficient.

And a big length of it might be something like 50¢ per foot or so.

iafirebuff said:
It states in the directions that you could pour the powder into the hole then add water.
I stand corrected on the dry cement trick. - :eek:
And the clamp on the pole is also a good idea, if you don't feel like screwing it, or flattening it.
More options are always better! - :up

Anoles cutting rebar!! LOL
Welcome to construction work. Used to cut miles of that #2 rebar for concrete reinforcing. A torch is nice to cut it if you don't have the real tool made for cutting it, or you can hack-saw your way 1/2way thru and bend till it breaks. It always made me wonder how good it was for concrete since it is fairly brittle.

I did find there are sevearl types of cement. Quick Rite for fence post is the type for mixing in the hole. Not sure if all types can do this or not. I had mixed in a bucket and poured before. As for post, what I have been using is 2 3/8 inch galv. fence post. Approx 6' with 3' in the ground.

UPDATE

we have the pole in cement and it looks good....

also got the remote in the mail today for the coolsat 5000

so on thursday we should be mounting the hh120 motor
and the dish
so the only thing missing is the lnb arm and the holder which ihope should be he here by friday
the only thing i might need id ana lnb ... havnt tested mine yet...

also i need to know what kind of splitter would i need to use so i can feed it to the fool sat and my pc card

thanks to everone

doc

update

things are looking up lol....
i just thought of somehing interesting...
is there any way to update a coolsat 5000 so it has the new names of sats..
thanks
doc

i use the loader and then the editor and download the channel list to the pc and fix it and then upload it back

you should be able to manually do it with the remote i just never have.

what loader and editor...
i should know all this but my memory is not what it was
sorry to everyone if i ask dumb things once in a while

Channelmaster works great (sharpc.com)

here is the loader

Attachments

• CoolSat Pro Loader v.2.4.zip
    167.5 KB · Views: 75
I thought I had a list of KU sats stored but I dont (mental note...must make backup of channel list soon) :)

pm me with your e-mail address.
the list is for a coolsat 5000 but i'm sure it will work in the coolsat 6000
you would need to use the loader and download your current channel list and save it on the computer for backup.
then you would upload the new list to the coolsat.

you can also use the coolsat editor to change the names ect.

if you use the Channel Master editor you can sort things like favorites , movie list ect it has more bells and whistles it just won't download or upload to the coolsat ( you have to use the coolsat loader for that.

this is my list and if you have any transponders that i don't have you would have to either rescan them or blind scan again
i delete a few off the list on some satellites i don't or won't go to. like stuff east of 58W ( you can add them back) i just deleted them to keep plenty of room for frequent blind scans.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cs 6000 sat list

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)