A Few Questions Concerning an Install. (OTA, etc.)

caseyhdfreak

Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Hi to all, recently I've convinced my parents that Voom will be the way to go for HD. We will probably have the service installed in early to mid Jan. (In time for the big game :D ). I've been reading through the forums to determine what my family (mostly me ;) ) will have to do to prepare for a smooth install.

First of all I have a question concerning a multiswitch, I think it's called. To my understanding one is to be provided by the customer? Is this needed considering
only one receiver is to be installed? If so where might I obtain an affordable one?

I also have some questions about my local OTA channels.

1.)This one might seem stupid but if you can clearly receive analog tv channels does that mean you should be able to clearly receive the digital channels?

2.)I've visited antennaweb.org, it tells me the desired stations we wish to receive (Fox, ABC, NBC, PBS, etc.) are around 25-30 miles from my house. Should I be okay on this? Also DFW international airport is relatively close to my house, would this cause any problems?

3.)How do OTA channels get their guide info? Does the station datacast it? Does it come in through the dish? Is their any local pg info at all? Just wondering.

Finally I understand a few things are necessary during the install process. Like, don't sign/let installer leave until there is a picture and everything appears to be working correctly. Is there any critical things that need to be brought to my attention prior to the install date?

My thanks, Casey

:D

casey,

here are few answers:

1- keep in touch with your local installer so that you won't be surprised that he/she does not show up for the appointment. Voom/Installs Inc will be reluctant to give you his/her phone number but you can tell voom/installs inc to have the installer call you. Keep in touch with them so that you do not miss the apptment.

2- Try to make the apptment on Saturdays if possible. Don't invest time off work to do this if you can avoid it.

3- If you are only getting one receiver you do not need a multiswitch. Voom installs a dual LNB by default that should take care of two receivers. You only need a multiswitch if you need to install more than 2 receivers.

4- However, if you only need one line into the house they will install a diplexor which they will provide for free. This little device combines the OTA signa and the satellite signal into one cable. I suggest you to check our FAQ to check the installation setup.

5- Good that you visited www.antennaweb.org. Receiving Analog does not mean that you will receive digital signal over the air. When you go to antennaweb.org select "digital only". This will tell you which channels are transmitting digitally, the range, and the direction. This is very important information because the antenna provided by voom could be the stealth antenna which it is highly directional. I believe that antenna has a range up to 35 miles or so. So you should be ok. Regarding the airport proximity to your location, I have heard that it does affect the OTA reception. With OTA you never know until you try it. It is a trial and error experiment. It is not an exact science.

6- The PG information is downloade nightly through satellite for both OTA channels and satellite channels.

7- Last, good luck with the installation. If you questions please post here and we'll try to help you out. Try to get as much informaiton as possible about your locals. Visit their website and see if they are transmitting with enough power to reach you.

New Installation Suggestions

Casey,

In my experience, if your present stations are UHF and you are receiving them okay, you will be fine with the digital UHF versions. As an example, I can barely receive a watchable picture on analog channel 39 here in San Diego, but the digital local channel (Channel 40) comes in perfectly. Both transmitters are on the same tower, 26 miles away. In many areas of the country, there are VHF locals, but the digital local stations are UHF. This may cause you problems, depending on the distances and terrain involved.

Installation tips:

1. Request a 24 inch VOOM dish. This will keep you out of rain fade problems. If you sometimes have high winds, try to mount the dish in a protected area.
2. Verify the satellite signal strength using your installed receiver's display. It should be above 96, preferably around 98 or 99.
3. If you are in a marginal UHF reception area, try to get an installer with a portable RF Spectrum Analyzer. These devices are very helpful to determine optimum OTA antenna locations/heights/orientation.
4. If you are in a marginal UHF reception area, get a dedicated RG6 coax cable installed from the OTA outdoor antenna to your receiver. Have them install a second RG6 cable between your satellite dish and the receiver. This will maximize the signal strengths from each source.

My VOOM setup seamlessy displays program guide information for all of the local San Diego OTA channels. This was an unexpected nice feature of the installation. I am not sure of the source of this information, but I suspect it is downloaded from the VOOM satellite according to your installation's recorded ZIP code.

Good luck and let us know how your installation works out.

I questioned the viewer provided multiswitch w/ voom and also to the installer that came to the house, neither of them hesitated in saying that voom will provide the multiswitch even though the confirmation letter from installs inc stated otherwise. As for you needing a multiswitch you would not as stated earlier

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)