A few questions regarding incorrect install

pchangover

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Okay it all started on the 15th of March when E* came to install my dish and other goodies. I originally had Adelphia digital cable and HSI. I told the guys at dish that I was going to keep my HSI from Adelphia but get rid of the digital. I was unfortunately busy the day of the install so I couldn't be home for it, however my mother was. She of course had no idea what was going on and barely understands how to turn a computer on.. anyway

The installer comes and uses my existing coaxial cable network that was used by Adelphia, AND uses Adelphia's cable box AND grounding wire. This upsets me because I told them I was going to keep my high speed internet, so I need the cable box to be intact, etc. This resulted in me calling CS and them sending the same guy out to hook up my internet, which he did on the 18th. Of course my internet didn't work properly so I had an Adelphia tech come out and check my line.

The Adelphia tech shows up this past Tuesday - the 21st. I show him to the back and to where the cabling is. I am astonished to see that when the E* installer had come back out to install my cable he just jumbled everything up and left it lay on the ground. The Adelphia tech told me that he hooked up my net with a 6 year old 3 way splitter that slaughtered my signal and he was using Adelphia's ground, and their box. He used to install satellites for another company before he joined Adelphia. So he unhooked everything, including the ground. And hooked my internet up properly and re-secured Adelphia's box. He told me to call E* and get them to send the guy back out to hook up a ground and put the wiring inside a box of some sort. I said OKAY.

That same day I called E* and told the CSR that I needed a tech back out here to properly secure everything. He said OKAY, and gave me a date of today - the 23rd. So today the same tech that had been to my house the last 2 times calls me at 12:30 and asks what needs done. I tell him that he needs to ground the dish system and put the cabling mess inside a box of some kind out of the elements. He tells me that the system doesn't need to be grounded, AND it doesn't need to be put inside a box. I said WHAT!? I then proceed to tell him that I believe it should be grounded and someone can just walk to the back of my house and unscrew the cables and walk away with a few nice splitters and screw my connection, OR if it rains and the connections get corroded or fried or something.. then I am also screwed. He then proceeds to tell me that we are making him look bad by calling CS and he doesn't need to come out there... conversation ends.

Soooo.. who is right in this argument? Should I call CS and complain about this tech or not? Please inform me, because I don't know very much about satellite systems.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

pchangover said:
Okay it all started on the 15th of March when E* came to install my dish and other goodies. I originally had Adelphia digital cable and HSI. I told the guys at dish that I was going to keep my HSI from Adelphia but get rid of the digital. I was unfortunately busy the day of the install so I couldn't be home for it, however my mother was. She of course had no idea what was going on and barely understands how to turn a computer on.. anyway

The installer comes and uses my existing coaxial cable network that was used by Adelphia, AND uses Adelphia's cable box AND grounding wire. This upsets me because I told them I was going to keep my high speed internet, so I need the cable box to be intact, etc. This resulted in me calling CS and them sending the same guy out to hook up my internet, which he did on the 18th. Of course my internet didn't work properly so I had an Adelphia tech come out and check my line.

The Adelphia tech shows up this past Tuesday - the 21st. I show him to the back and to where the cabling is. I am astonished to see that when the E* installer had come back out to install my cable he just jumbled everything up and left it lay on the ground. The Adelphia tech told me that he hooked up my net with a 6 year old 3 way splitter that slaughtered my signal and he was using Adelphia's ground, and their box. He used to install satellites for another company before he joined Adelphia. So he unhooked everything, including the ground. And hooked my internet up properly and re-secured Adelphia's box. He told me to call E* and get them to send the guy back out to hook up a ground and put the wiring inside a box of some sort. I said OKAY.

That same day I called E* and told the CSR that I needed a tech back out here to properly secure everything. He said OKAY, and gave me a date of today - the 23rd. So today the same tech that had been to my house the last 2 times calls me at 12:30 and asks what needs done. I tell him that he needs to ground the dish system and put the cabling mess inside a box of some kind out of the elements. He tells me that the system doesn't need to be grounded, AND it doesn't need to be put inside a box. I said WHAT!? I then proceed to tell him that I believe it should be grounded and someone can just walk to the back of my house and unscrew the cables and walk away with a few nice splitters and screw my connection, OR if it rains and the connections get corroded or fried or something.. then I am also screwed. He then proceeds to tell me that we are making him look bad by calling CS and he doesn't need to come out there... conversation ends.

Soooo.. who is right in this argument? Should I call CS and complain about this tech or not? Please inform me, because I don't know very much about satellite systems.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

two items one you want to hear the other maybe not..The tech when informed that you were keeping the HSI should not have touched that line to your modem.....He is however authorized to use any satellite compatible line in your home (it's yours not the cable co's) as long as it 's going to where your tv's are.
Typically satellite does not use enclosures on their installs as all parts are weather proof..If a cust wants an enclosure they must pay for it...We do not supply them or the labor to install them....GROUNDING IS A MUST..No DN system is permitted to be installed with out an approved NEC ground PERIOD!
Lastly a tech MAY NOT refuse an assignment ......I f a job is assigned that tech is required to roll on the job unless the cust cancels or reschedules......I would call Dish ,and ask to speak ot the escallation dept. Don't screw around with the regular CSR's.....Tell escalltions exactly what happened with your blown off appointment...They will fix you up

dishcomm said:
two items one you want to hear the other maybe not..The tech when informed that you were keeping the HSI should not have touched that line to your modem.....He is however authorized to use any satellite compatible line in your home (it's yours not the cable co's) as long as it 's going to where your tv's are.
Typically satellite does not use enclosures on their installs as all parts are weather proof..If a cust wants an enclosure they must pay for it...We do not supply them or the labor to install them....GROUNDING IS A MUST..No DN system is permitted to be installed with out an approved NEC ground PERIOD!
Lastly a tech MAY NOT refuse an assignment ......I f a job is assigned that tech is required to roll on the job unless the cust cancels or reschedules......I would call Dish ,and ask to speak ot the escallation dept. Don't screw around with the regular CSR's.....Tell escalltions exactly what happened with your blown off appointment...They will fix you up

Thank you for that information. I guess I will just have to hide the cabling under the porch or something.. I guess I will figure something out. I will also call dish and ask to speak to escalation because I want this system grounded. Thanks again, I kinda wish I had gotten an installer like you... though everyone has to learn somehow.

Normally, if customer said wanted to keep the cable or internet service, and if there no spare cable is available, we uses run a new cable just for the satellite. What ever the installer did is not acceptable, maybe he is work for a fulfillment company and don't want to go through all this to cut the corner, but if you take the contract, no matter what, you has to do a right job or not go at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)