A Genie Question....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dssxxxx

Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
NJ/FL
I am taping 4 shows. Can I watch 3 different channels (not the ones being recorded), 3 entirely different channels on the 3 mini's? I thought you could only watch the "same" channel on the 3 mini's if one (1) tuner was available and the other 4 tuners are recording???

Just curious, since I am thinking of switching from Comcast.....which has been OK in terms of value/quality but completely useless in terms of CS.

Thanks for the help.

The genie has five tuners. If you are using four of them to record, then you would only have one tuner left to watch a different channel. If I am not mistaken you could watch that same tuner on the minis, but again, it would be that same channel on all of them.

Ahhhhhhh.......too bad. Was looking forward to using the C41W.

Which boxes (newest/best) would you recommend to be used in the remote locations/bedrooms?

Thanks for your help guys.

You could always go (with a higher up front cost) with the genie as your main box and the HR-xx hd dvrs in the remote locations. This would give you full dvr capability at other rooms, with the added benefit of additional tuners. This would be more expensive however.

Or a combination of genie/HR/H (single reciever)/client as needed.

You could always go (with a higher up front cost) with the genie as your main box and the HR-xx hd dvrs in the remote locations. This would give you full dvr capability at other rooms, with the added benefit of additional tuners. This would be more expensive however.

Or a combination of genie/HR/H (single reciever)/client as needed.

OK......how much extra (approx) per month and which DVR. I am OK with the 5 in the great room and being able to use a W41W in the MBR but the wife will need at least 2 tuners in the spare bedroom.

Another quick question........could I use a C41W in the kitchen (no wiring). Just plug in TV and C41W and watch?????

Again, thanks.

:welcome to Satelliteguys dssxxxx!

There would be no additional cost per month to replace a client with a dvr. Unless you get it from an outside vendor, you get what Directv sends you. The HR24 is the latest model. The wireless clients are just now being introduced and may not be available in your area. If they are, it should be as simple as plug and play.

OK......how much extra (approx) per month and which DVR. I am OK with the 5 in the great room and being able to use a W41W in the MBR but the wife will need at least 2 tuners in the spare bedroom.

Another quick question........could I use a C41W in the kitchen (no wiring). Just plug in TV and C41W and watch?????

Again, thanks.

any unit (dvr, non dvr, client) is $6 a month after the first one

iirc a dvr is 199 up front and receiver is 99

any unit (dvr, non dvr, client) is $6 a month after the first one

iirc a dvr is 199 up front and receiver is 99

I may be naive but I would imagine that being a Comcast customer and switching to DTV, they would probably provide the Genie and any mini and/or dvr at no charge. Hopefully. I would be asking for "their" triple play with a DTV package of the top tier (everything).

Thanks for all the help.

I may be naive but I would imagine that being a Comcast customer and switching to DTV, they would probably provide the Genie and any mini and/or dvr at no charge. Hopefully. I would be asking for "their" triple play with a DTV package of the top tier (everything).

Thanks for all the help.

genie would be free and up to 2 mini

anything else costs

genie would be free and up to 2 mini

anything else costs

Well if you go on DTV site, you can add Genie and 3 mini's at N/C. So I would imagine Genie, 2 mini's and 1 H24 would b free but I would have to convince a CS rep for the free H24. Being in sales, I have been very fortunate getting freebie's...... :) Will also try and get the C41W and see how that works.

Well if you go on DTV site, you can add Genie and 3 mini's at N/C. So I would imagine Genie, 2 mini's and 1 H24 would b free but I would have to convince a CS rep for the free H24. Being in sales, I have been very fortunate getting freebie's...... :) Will also try and get the C41W and see how that works.

goodluck

report back

I definitely will report back. This will happen the end of September when we make a move from NJ to FL on a permanent basis. I will tell Comcast we are moving back to NJ..... :) and then return the boxes, etc. after DTV does their install.

Will probably have additional questions but will report back and open this thread.

Thanks for the help and comments.

I may be naive but I would imagine that being a Comcast customer and switching to DTV, they would probably provide the Genie and any mini and/or dvr at no charge.
Looking at the customer sign-up application on the DIRECTV website, it would appear that DIRECTV doesn't currently offer free HD DVRs as part of the standard new customer promotion.

It also appears that they have now split SD and HD such that they will set you up with one or the other but not a combination of the two.

It also appears that they have now split SD and HD such that they will set you up with one or the other but not a combination of the two.

makes sense as newer equipment is swm, dot think sd equipment is compatible
you can get sd from an hd receiver, I have an hr24 that way

A D12 is swm compatible, the only sd receiver that is. The R22 dvr is, also.

I just switched to DirecTV and did almost the same thing, 1 Genie, 2 Genie clients and an HR24. I wasnt able to talk them into discounting the $199 price for the HR24. I DID purchase it through Costco and that will net me a $200 gift card. So it's basically a wash.

I just switched to DirecTV and did almost the same thing, 1 Genie, 2 Genie clients and an HR24. I wasnt able to talk them into discounting the $199 price for the HR24. I DID purchase it through Costco and that will net me a $200 gift card. So it's basically a wash.

This I will try to remember.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)