Status
Please reply by conversation.

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
Well,
I've been doing a lot of re-configuration of my system, working on how to fit in the pieces of the Merc II's, CS8000, and AZbox Elite on two motorized dishes.
For one thing, I got rid of Diseqc switches and used a 3x4 switch on my 90cm dish, so I could attach more than two receivers.
That started the problem that took me several hours to debug.
What happened is that I would drive the dish to a satellite with the Merc II, then go to the AZbox and select that bird to scan. This system seemed to work well, while I was doing it. Saturday, though, I started using the Merc II to simply blindscan a few birds. The DARN dish wouldn't stay in place. If I went to Horizon 2 to scan, it would display ONN for a moment, but then drift off. I went outside, and sure enough the dish was moving between true south and Horizon 2, like it had lost its mind.
Then I tried AMC15, with the same results. The dish went to AMC15 then back to true south with no sign of stopping. The only satellite that I COULD stay on was AMC3 ( my true south).

I decided to turn my 1.2M into a Ku only system, while I fought the the 90cm dish, so I moved the AZbox, 3x4 switch over to that system, and put on my Ku Lnbf.

NOW the 90cm dish works fine, but the 1.2M dish is doing the same thing!!!

Solution:
The AZbox, though, it was not hooked to the motor input, still had USALS enabled and was selecting a channel on AMC3 ( my true south) . The USALS instructions to move to AMC3 must have been "leaking" thru the lnbf to the other side and reaching the motor. Even without the 3x4 switch, the same behavior was noted, so possibly it also leaked thru the 3x4 switch as well.
My GUESS is that removing the Diseqc switches ( I have never before NOT had Diseqc switches in the system) also removed the isolation that they provide . Right now I'm running just fine on both systems, but with motor control turned off on the AZbox.

I spent half of Saturday playing with this problem, and learned a valuable lesson. When it's working , don't change a thing !
:)

One must risk failure to learn something new.

Already, my eyes are looking for new ways to pickup more channels.
I suspect that I may venture into the dark side and install a C-band dish just to pick up one more channel.

The good news for me is that my wife supports this hobby addiction.

I spent half of Saturday playing with this problem, and learned a valuable lesson. When it's working , don't change a thing !

I know how that is.

Decided to move the table that has my Primestar and WSI dish closer to the C-Band dish so I could put the antenna in the corner of the deck. Also wanted to try and get either 91 or 99 on the 4 footer...Mounted the antenna near the corner of the deck and moved the table over. Could lock 91 on the 4 footer but the Primestar was too far over so the C-Band dish was blocking it which affected the Starchoice. Moved the table until Starchchoice was back to strong but then the dish on the roof blocked 91W (which is the reason I moved the table in the first place). Put the 4 footer back to 121 and called it a day

Funny story ! I had a similar deal that once I installed my 1.2M dish, it partially blocked my 80cm from the western birds. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Had to go out and LOOK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)