A little fun....What 1 station market would you want to live in??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which One Station DMA would you want to live in?

• Glendive, MT (CBS main, NBC sub in SD)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Lafayette, IN (CBS main, Get -2, Ion -3)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Mankato, MN (CBS main, FOX sub in widescreen SD)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Zanesville, OH (NBC...no subs)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Lets have a little fun and play a "what if" game (I use to do this when I had free to air)

As of today there are 4 DMA's that only have one station licensed in the market
Glendive, MT (CBS main, NBC sub in SD)
Lafayette, IN (CBS main, Get -2, Ion -3)
Mankato, MN (CBS main, FOX sub in widescreen SD)
Zanesville, OH (NBC...no subs)

So lets say you live in one of these markets and due to terrain/situations you can ONLY pick up the local station (the reason I say this is a couple of the markets with a badass outdoor antenna can get part of a neighboring market)

So simple question...which market would you want to live in?

Vote and have a basic response. Lets try and keep it to the topic at hand. I don't want to know about other markets or "what ifs" like "well if I got cable or satellite".

Glendive, Mt. CBS has The Big Bang Theory. (FOX has it daily in reruns tho--)
NBC - national news isn't bad.
Big plus is there's good fishing in the Yellowstone & Missouri rivers and the reservoirs which aren't that far..

Reactions: Tank
I would go Glendive MT. Why? 3 reasons. First, CBS and NBC are the bulk of my network viewing (Poor Agents of Shield/Agent carter). Second the area is the most scenic, so I could spend more time outdoors and less TV watching. Third, my son just got assigned to Maelstrom AFB in Great Falls. Still a 5 hour drive, but a lot closer than now.

Reactions: Tank and Mr Tony
Well after looking closely at the choices, no MeTV, I would have to pick
Lafayette, IN (CBS main, Get -2, Ion -3) for the fact of getting GetTV.

Out of curiosity what do the satellite companies do in these markets, import other signals or leave it to DNS?
Glendive
Dish...gives you Rapid City ABC & FOX (south of Glendive is Rapid City DMA)...all locals SD
Directv doesnt carry the locals so you can get FOX & ABC distants automatically, CBS & NBC require waivers in most cases

Lafayette
Both give you Indy but
Dish is just the Big 4 and in SD
Directv gives you missing Big 4+ CW+ PBS in HD AND the National PBS in SD

Mankato
Both give you Minneapolis ABC & NBC...Directv in HD, Dish in SD
Directv also gives you "national" CW (CW50 Washington, DC) in SD
Both is national PBS in SD

Zanesville
Both give you Columbus ABC, CBS & FOX
Dish HD, Directv SD (since Directv doesnt have an agreement to carry WHIZ in HD the imported ones cant be in HD either)
Directv also gives you "national" CW (CW50 Washington, DC) in SD
Both is national PBS in SD

Reactions: Tank
By the way for the person asking about satellite I have Directv and am grandfathered with networks.
I legally qualify for ABC & FOX and CW and PBS
I am grandfathered in on NBC and CBS. Before 2009 NBC was an hour at night on KXGN. Yes KXGN did carry both CBS and NBC up to 2009. We also had a low powered station with NBC from North Dakota.

I have all 4 nets from Los Angeles in HD. National PBS and CW from San Diego. Those are only in SD

Reactions: Mr Tony
Mine is easy....Mankato

Why?
I watch CBS & FOX the most out of the big 4 nets.
Same here. CBS for NCIS and FOX for the NFL. There is nothing on the other nets I couldn't live without. In fact there isn't a single show on ABC or NBC (except golf) that I watch at all.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Technically, Parkersburg, WV is a one station market. NBC, CBS, Fox and MeTV all operate out of the same station but they have put up a couple of LPTV's for some of those signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)