A minor request from your FTA moderator

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well today was a pretty big day
-She got those respirator tubes taken out of her mouth and put in her neck (a tracheotomy where they put a slit in the neck and put the air tube in there if needed)....she's been breathing on her own for 3 days now
-they moved her food tube from her nose

So now we can see her face :) Grampa's excited about that

Also any spasm's she might have after the surgery she had none which is great to hear. So she's slowly getting better :) The doctors say she is making good progress

On a side note I do want to thank everyone who posted here or PM'd me personally. It just shows how we truly are a "family" here. And some folks apologized for PM'ing me or bugging me. Dont apologize. If you dont want to say it on the board a PM is fine and you're not bugging me :)

The board here helps me get my mind other places :)

Happy to hear things are going a little better, Ice. I've been off the site more or less for a week, so I'm just catching up. I'm still waiting to hear if my grandmother (88 in a week!) will be out of the hospital soon as well.

Hope things look better as the week goes on :)

Happy to hear she is doing better. My dad (86) started his third week of radiation / chemo treatments this week for lung cancer, so I certainly know what you are going through.

We need to cherish each and every day we are here.

Thanks for the update Tony. Been there, done that. Does sound like she is progressing, which is good news. Keep us posted when you can.

Well today was pretty good. She's blinking, moving her legs and arm, responding to commands (which is GREAT) and just being figity.... :) She had a fever but that went down tonight. She knows when family is in there because she makes some facial movements when we talk about things.

On the down side I found out that for Christmas we're not all going to grandma's which we kinda figured. the whole family gets together on X-Mas or a couple days before (weekend) but this year we decided not to.

The hardest thing today was when my nieces were over. The oldest one who is 11 said "Is great grandma going to be home for Christmas?" and I had to respond with "We really don't know yet". The kids want to see her but her being in Head Trauma 1 only immediate family is allowed. They understand when I say that only great grampa, my mom, my aunt and two uncles can go in there and explain that I have to stay in the lounge area.

But as we say....baby steps :)

Tony
I am glad to hear both of your Grandparents are doing better, and you, too!

Tony,

I do like to hear of positive progress. We all do, and we are all still putting positive thoughts out and saying special prayers as well.

Most us us have been in this position before or will be there again, so we really wish the best for your family all the way. Please take care and know that we are thinking of you and your family.

Gordy

Well we had a "minor" setback today....minor as in surgery

She's been breathing on her own pretty much and has been doing really well. The neurosurgeon said on Friday that the only reason she is in ICU is the tube in the back of her head.

Well today they tried to turn off the tube that is removing fluid from her head to see if she is dependent on it....well last week as soon as they turned off that tube her numbers went sky high so they had to turn it back on. Today they tried again and once again it went sky high. The number for the swelling in her head should be around 10. As soon as they turned off that valve within 5 minutes it was up to 30 which is really bad. At 20 the machine "dings"...at 30 its sirens going off ;) With the machine on its around 8-12

So she has to get a shunt put in. They say its routine but try telling that to the family. I guess they put a tube in her head and it runs below the skin to the stomach to drain the excess fluid.

So one day this week they'll do that.

Tony,
Sorry to hear, but I'm sure they will do a good job and she will do great. I will keep you in my thoughts.

As far as the routine goes, I know first hand how family views routine this week. Please keep us informed.

I know.
They can tell us what they want but trying to explain it to my grampa is the hardest because most everything goes over his head. We try and explain it in simple terms so he understands since he is the one to sign off on everything.

He tries to joke about things like today when we were leaving he says to grandma "I'll see ya tomorrow. Make sure you're dressed so when we come to get you we can go home" but deep down he just wants her to come home

Thanks for the update, hopefully she'll be out of there soon. Many kind thoughts and prayers for her, you and the rest of the family.

i am praying for her and the rest of your family also.
on a side note, in the short time that i have been following this site i have grown extremely fond of it. you dont see this kind of camaraderie (i think that is the word im looking for) on other satellite sites, and its really nice to have a satellite site that dosent condone stealing so that us honest satellite addicts have a place to go also.
thank you all for that.
best wishes, and my prayers are with you and your family.
Denny

no update

today we didnt go because of the blizzard and yesterday she slept the whole time we were there :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)