A new diginet called StoryTV will be launched on 3-28-22

An interesting channel. Saw a program on the Romans in the 3rd Century. A bit different than the rest of the Weigel fare. We have it here (Astoria OR) on 3.6 (3.1 H&I, 3.2 Start TV, 3.3 Movies!, 3.4 Decades, 3.5 METV+, and 3.6 Story TV). Another channel we get 2.2 has METV.

Here, we have no more than 6, generally 1 HD and the rest SD. Weigel's, H&I is in 720p, Start TV, Movies, Decades, METV+, and Story TV are all in SD. Also, it depends on how much space they give the HD channel. A friend in NYC says WPIX 11 (Nexstar), takes most the space for their main HD signal, there is little for the diginets and the pq suffers a lot. Here, it isn't bad on ours.

Believe it or not it's KOB-DT has 1 main NBC HD and the rest are 6 SD subchannels, 4.2 H&I, 4.3 Comet, 4.4 Decades, 4.5 Defy, 4.6 True Real, 4.7 This TV Network.

Supposedly to carry Newsy on KOB-DT but never did show up, could have been a 7th subchannel!:eeek

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell
As it is, the first .1 channel here is H&I and they run about 5 mpbs 720p. The 5 others are SD. Isn't the average for 480i about 2-2.5 mpbs? So here that would use 5/2.5/2.5/2.5/2.5/2.5=17.5 there. Some use a variable going down below 1 mpbs. The pq can really suffer. Some ethnic station in the LA area runs something like 10 or 12 SD's on one channel. The pq is probably pretty bad.

Reactions: N5XZS
Some ethnic station in the LA area runs something like 10 or 12 SD's on one channel. The pq is probably pretty bad.
When the MHz network was still broadcasting here, they had 12 SD chnanels spread out over two RF channels with reasonable PQ. (Yeah, I can't imagine how awful 12 on 1 would be.) I think it matters what the programming is. MHz mostly broadcast talking heads.

Just about like on some stations on G-19 Ku band satellite bird at 91W*.

Horrible to watch bitstarved feeds, some are amost dial up modem showing low def videos!:oops::facepalm

One of the nearby markets went to 3.0 and stacked multiple channels on a select group of towers. One group of channels included Comet at the end of the list with a bitrate of around 600 kbps. Any little bit of action on screen and the whole picture would be covered in a mass of macroblocks.

Here is WHCT here in Hartford. They have a total of 7 channels. Channel 1 is ME TV in HD, that channel is using around 6 Mbps. The rest are using anywhere from 1.2 Mbps to 2 Mbps per channel.

Here is the WHCT mux data from TSreader this morning. (Note they fixed Stories channel number it was showing up as 35-8 but today it is correctly showing 35-7.)

Attachments

• whct.png
    whct.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 148
Here is WHCT here in Hartford. They have a total of 7 channels. Channel 1 is ME TV in HD, that channel is using around 6 Mbps. The rest are using anywhere from 1.2 Mbps to 2 Mbps per channel.

Here is the WHCT mux data from TSreader this morning. (Note they fixed Stories channel number it was showing up as 35-8 but today it is correctly showing 35-7.)
Yes, some markets have METV in 720p and H&I/Start TV/Movies/Decades/METV+/Story in SD all on one channel. How is the pq? Here we have METV in SD on another station (KATU-2.2) and the rest of the 6 are on on channel. with H&I in HD. In looking at them, it seems the one with the worst pq is Start TV for some reason. So many of the sites that show the bit rate often shows an average, even though most are variable. So it can be hard to figure out what bit rate the station is using. The stations often want to cram in as many networks as they can thinking they will make more $$, but how many viewers do they lose? So many of the current inexpensive TVs that are 4K, like my son's, are terrible in SD. I know of several people that have the newer inexpensive TVs and they never watch SD. My older 43" VIZIO 1080i does well in SD.

Some ethnic station in the LA area runs something like 10 or 12 SD's on one channel. The pq is probably pretty bad.
LA has 3 of them. KVMD is up to 19 (!!!!) channels

KJLA & KXLA has 18

Another station in LA is up to 17. KNLA-CD & KNET-CD

I am not sure if it has been mentioned here but Story TV is now in the Washington DC DMA at 48.2.

I think WBAY-TV 2.7 will most likely carry Story TV in Green Bay, Wisconsin, given that Gray Television-owned TV station's relationship with with Weigel dating back to when Decades was first announced in 2015 as their charter affiliate, then aborted for subchannel 2.3 for the network under Media General's ownership in favor of Ion.

Weigel later added H&I and Start TV to WBAY-TV 2's collection of subchannels.
Ion Television was replaced on channel 2.6 with Decades in 2020 after WGBA-TV 26's owner, Scripps acquired the entirety of the Ion television network and placed it locally on WGBA-TV 26.5.

WGBA-TV 26 is one of WBAY-TV 2's biggest rivals behind WLUK-TV 11 and WFRV-TV 5.
Gray Television added 14 networks to its 3 Jackson Mississippi owned stations over the years (WLBT, WLOO, WDBD) 4 of those being Weigel. Story went with sister station MeTV on the ABC affiliate there (Hearts may own it). Gray not only launches Weigel's networks but also Tegna's, Nexstar Media's, and The Scripps Howard Family of networks also. You probably have all that there in Green Bay too. I would love to have a station in Lafayette owned by Gray TV (we the only Louisiana Market without a Gray Affiliate). Seems Gray is the ownership to be with.