A new low for the NBA?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
One giant leap for Tyler - Yahoo! Sports

Jeremy Tyler has decided to forgo his senior year of high school and turn pro.

Yes, high school.

This isn’t some sign of the sporting apocalypse or a teenager with an overvalued sense of worth. It’s a daring, trailblazing yet well-thought-out move that challenges the bizarre way America develops amateur basketball players.

Tyler is an agile 6-11, 260-pound San Diego native, the nation’s top player in the junior class who already committed to the University of Louisville. He’s as close to a can’t-miss NBA prospect as there is; a tantalizing mix of size, speed and smarts. Scouts project him to be the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, when he’s eligible under the NBA’s age requirements.

For the "superstar" players this makes sense. Their one and done season in college is a mockery anyway. Plus, I didn't realize that the "academic" requirements were this low:

To be eligible for a season, a kid needs to earn just two D’s in the fall semester. He can fail, or not even show up for, every other class his freshman year and drop out immediately after the season.

I don't understand how you can fault anybody for cashing in. I'm assuming he'll go to Europe for a few years, make some money, and (if he's good enough) enter the NBA draft.

Teenage actors and singers routinely forgo high school. Yea, I know....they get tutored. Who's to say this kid isn't?

For the "superstar" players this makes sense. Their one and done season in college is a mockery anyway. Plus, I didn't realize that the "academic" requirements were this low:
Neither did I. I didnt know their standards sunk this low. And they wonder why so many atheletes are illiterate like Ewing. Or unprepared for a pro lifestyle. Or unprepared for life itself.

More flaming. Typical V. :rolleyes: Let me try and put out the fire....

#1. How is this the NBA's problem?

The MLB draft's kids out of high school. The NFL drafts ungraduated kids from college. The NBA requires kids to be removed from high school for 1 year prior to the draft or be at least 19 years of age. The last I checked, you don't need a degree to be a professional athlete.

BTW, why did you chose to call out the NBA?

I think it is A problem the NBA should address. MLB does not offer the money the NBA offers. MOST kids out of college to play in the NFL have played at least 3 years.....especially the real good ones.

This kid's father is a moron. Playing in Europe is a better idea than making sure his kid could at least read and write English? His dad is just looking to cash in on his son. Pathetic.

Well, why else is he going on and on about why he's picking on the NBA and not others?
WHO CARES!

The most recent article talks about the NBA, so that's why. DUH.

Ok guys please get back to talking about SPORTS and not picking on one another.

Thank you. :)
girlfight.gif

ESPN2's Snoop Jackson made a mention about this kid, saying that the school in San Diego has internal problems as well....and had no real answer as to why the kid just doesn't transfer to another school in SoCal.

Personally, I have no problem with anyone adult age taking a job that makes them money even if they don't go to college. But I do have questions though, European Basketball isn't the same as NBA basketball...especially for big men. They don't roam the paint, be physical and other than shot blocking don't defend the rim.

This kid's father is a moron. Playing in Europe is a better idea than making sure his kid could at least read and write English? His dad is just looking to cash in on his son. Pathetic.

I'm going to assume he can read and write.....What does a senior do in high school? Read Shakespeare, learn about trigonometry or calculus, etc. etc. These courses may be interesting, but there main purpose is to prepare a student for college. This kid has no need to go to college. He's a basketball player. So instead of preparing for college like his classmates, he's going to Europe to fine-tune his skill (and make some serious dough). Further, I'm sure he'll learn just by living in Europe.....not the same subjects as his classmates, but learning nevertheless.

As far as this being a new low for the NBA: I'd guess the NBA isn't thrilled about this, but they also have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume he can read and write.....What does a senior do in high school? Read Shakespeare, learn about trigonometry or calculus, etc. etc. These courses may be interesting, but there main purpose is to prepare a student for college. This kid has no need to go to college. He's a basketball player. So instead of preparing for college like his classmates, he's going to Europe to fine-tune his skill (and make some serious dough). Further, I'm sure he'll learn just by living in Europe.....not the same subjects as his classmates, but learning nevertheless.

As far as this being a new low for the NBA: I'd guess the NBA isn't thrilled about this, but they also have nothing to do with it.

Yeah, what was I thinking? Besides, if it turns out he really isn't that great he can always go back to school. Right. That will happen. How old is this kid? 16-17? Maybe he should think about being a teenager for a couple of more years. I wish I still were. I sincerely doubt that this kid can write as well as your short post. Most kids that age can't even spell that well. What's wrong with just finishing high school?

A couple of decades or so ago, one of the network nightly news show did a short feature on former NBA basketball player Billy Ray Bates. He was out of basketball by that time, and looking for employment. It was remarked that he needed just sixteen more credits to complete the requirements for his Bachelors degree. Bates said, "If I had that college degree, my momma'd be so proud of me", and then then narrator deadpanned, "But Bates will never get those sixteen credits for two reasons: he can't read and he can't write".

As you might have noticed a number of messages from this thread have been removed as they were off topic and just users flaming users, which is a violation of SatelliteGuys TOS.

Please keep things civil without the name calling please.

I do apologize for not removing the messages earlier today as I had to run, today was SatelliteGuys.US first game of the 2009 season (we sponsor two little league teams) and I wanted to be at the first game. :) (BTW SatelliteGuys won) :D

Now back to talking SPORTS please. :) Thank you!

I think it is A problem the NBA should address. MLB does not offer the money the NBA offers. MOST kids out of college to play in the NFL have played at least 3 years.....especially the real good ones.
The NBA really needs to implement the NFL rule of requiring players to be 3 years out of high school before being eligible for the draft (instead of the current 1 year).

IMHO, anybody who drops out of HS should be ineligiable for life for any form of public support, come what may. Hopefully for the kid it will work out OK, but you never know.

The NBA is pathetic. It needs a rule to require the players to stay at least 3 years, in college, (not Europe, etc).

IMHO, anybody who drops out of HS should be ineligiable for life for any form of public support, come what may. Hopefully for the kid it will work out OK, but you never know.

Going from high-school to the NBA worked out for some guys.

Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, and LeBron James.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)