A short in the line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slump Buster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I've been having intermittent connection problems with 2 of my lines. Lately, they don't seem to work at all. These lines go to my basement tivo so I don't use it all that often.

Anyway, I hooked up a line tester and it shows that the lines have a short in them. What is the most likely reason for this.... is it an improperly cut line (I cut them a while back and I'll admit I didn't do the best job with the ends but I do have a more professional tool on order) or is it the fact that I don't have these particular lines grounded.

Also, I don't have any copper tubing in the area where the lines are. Is there another alternative for grounding?

Thanks in advance!

Problems that are not consistant can really be a pain.I would recommend replacing both old lines with new coax&connections.Be sure to use RG-6 coax that has been swept tested to 3 GZ.
Most grounding can be done with a copper covered stake in the ground and connections.It is also possible to use a connection to a water pipe but the stake is the normal route.Good Luck!

Check to see if there are any barrels in the line and check them or is there a chance a dog could have chewed anyhere and check other connections to see if any brainds coudl be touching the stinger(not likely but ya never know)

Check to see if there are any barrels in the line and check them or is there a chance a dog could have chewed anyhere and check other connections to see if any brainds coudl be touching the stinger(not likely but ya never know)

Thanks for your help guys. The problem was that I never really took the time to see the appropriate way to cut a wire, and that I didn't have the greatest tools for doing it.

I did some research on this the other day and I came across a thread where people argued the different techniques for making a wire (twisted end vs. crimped end, etc). One guy nailed it.... you have to cut the wire right. Having a line tester certainly helps too

(for the record, twisted end worked just fine for me once I had the cut right)

Status
Please reply by conversation.